How to: Running Seafoam through Vacuum (91-94 Explorers with Pictures) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to: Running Seafoam through Vacuum (91-94 Explorers with Pictures)

Bmwz389

Reaction score
City, State
Iowa
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 XLT
Ok, so for a while I've been meaning to test out SeaFoam on my truck. Well, I finally got to it about a week ago, then got caught up with writing a thread on a how to.

All I hear is about running it through your Power Brake Booster line, or through your main vacuum line.

Now, if you look at the diagram of the vacuum routing on the core support that the MAIN VAC is the PCV valve. Now, both of those are so far back into the Upper Intake Manifold that they wont reach the front 4 cylinders. So, after crawling in the engine bay, I have found a very efficient and easy way to run it while hitting all 6 cylinders.

It's a nipple that hooks up onto your emissions system that runs to your charcoal canisters.

First you want to start off by removing one side of the intake tubing. Use a standard screwdriver.

DSCN1305.jpg

If you want, you can pull the whole tubing but it's not necessary, just kind of lift it above the throttle body and let it rest there.

Next you are going to remove the emissions line from the nipple. It's located on the bottom right side of the throttle body.

DSCN1308.jpg

Use a spare vacuum line, or use what I used. Take the vacuum line (black with yellow stripe) off of the upper intake box's bi-metal sensor. It runs down to a tubing that helps your engine warm up faster in the winter. I just used that because my tubing broke and therefore the line was useless.

Then plug it into the nipple.

DSCN1310.jpg

Make sure you have the line clear of the belts, you don't want to catch it and tear things up lol.

Make sure you re-connect you intake tubing on the throttle body.

Next, set the can somewhere stable so you can use one hand to accelerate the engine and the other hand to feed the line into seafoam.

NOTE: This will smoke like crazy if it is your first time. I did mine for the first time outside my house and I was in front of my driveway and couldn't see my house at all (I really wish I could have recorded it...sorry guys)

This video is the second time, I only ran half a can and dumped the rest into my oil before an oil change.

Let it sit for 5 to 10 minutes. I put my sylvania 3157's in while it sat.

After that, make sure you pull the vacuum line you used, and put everything back together. Drive around for a while, maybe hit the interstate and blow all of it out.

P.S. - Don't hate the flaky paint...first time high temp project lol.

Good luck!!!

- Brandon

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That's where I run mine through. :thumbsup:

Very nice write up! I'll try mine through that line next time... Thanks for the info.

Any time guys. That's why this forum was started =)

I'm glad to be of help for people!

This post is worth a bump... I used the same port to add seafoam to my intake. It was a lot easier for me because I removed the air conditioner compressor a few years ago. I decided to try the seafoam (which smells an awful lot like charcoal lighter fluid) after I installed a home-made pcv catch can.

I didn't see this thread but used the same exact method on my 4.0 OHV ranger and let the engine suck like 12/16ths of the can in, and then put the rest in my gas tank. i let it sit for about 45 minutes and got a lot of smoke, and drove it, but didn't feel any difference in performance. I guess my engine is already pretty clean. It sounded god awful and almost stalled several times. just keep the rpms at like 1800-2200. Theres a vacuum on the line going to the charcoal cannister too. i put the seafoam can ontop of my radiator and it was balanced, used my left hand to rev, and used a finger to block off the line going to the cannister

I tried this on our 1994 Eddie Bauer (owned since new) Have been running synthetic oil since 1998 so the internals were pretty clean already. Didn't get a huge amount of smoke out of it. Next time I might use more but erred on the side of caution as I didn’t know how much would shake loose the first time. If you have an ohv 4.0, this is the way to inset it. Very easy.

i know its an old post but i was wondering if someone would take a picturre of what hose to put the seafoam in?

do you know if this method would work on a 98 ohv?

Hello,

Do you leave the intake tubing off when adding the Seafoam while the engine is running?

Thanks,

Back