Through the firewall... how? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Through the firewall... how?

I am about to install a set of Hella 500 lights on my brush guard. While trying to plan out the endevor I relized that I don't know of a good place to go through the firewall with the switch leads. Any tips??

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There is a factory rubber grommet going through the firewall approx behind the brake pedal. It already has a bunch of wires going through it. Take a utility knife and cut a small slit in this grommet and use that hole.

Good luck!

While this may sound crude, I ran my switch wires through the drivers front fender, through the door jam, and into the fuse box flap. It was way easier to run since it is a straight shot back from the battery and I didn't have to go hunting around down under the dash and mess with any of the grommets. A coat hangar works well to help fish the wires through. Just an idea.

Jason

Be sure to seal the opening that you use with some RTV.

Good luck.....

Another good spot is to push a coat hanger through the hole the hood latch cable goes through. Tape the wires on it and pull it back through.

yeah unfortunately the firewalls of the explorer are somewhat limited. in my explorer I had one near where the brake cable was going through (as Bill mentioned) but it was insufficient, and I ended up having to drill several additional holes in the firewall to get all the wires through.

Back