• Register Today It's free!

Dual Exhaust

cloud9

Reaction score
City, State
North Country
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 XLT AWD
Is it possible to install a stock looking true twin exhaust system on the 96 Explorer AWD 5.0 truck? Any link/info would be great. What are the advantages to such a conversation? Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You mean having two pipes coming out at the stock location? I don't think there's enough room. But it might be possible.

Possibily. Thought that there would be a way of running a dual exhaust system and making it appear as stock.

Very nicely done Bill. Looks great! Did you retain the stock mufflers? And what chrome exhaust tips did you use? Thanks.

I retained the stock muffler. I had a flowmaster 70 on a 96 OHV previously and got sick of the drone. Without the resonator the stock has a good V8 sound.
I just got a couple of stainless rolled tip tips off Ebay. I drilled a hole in the bottom side of the tips to let the moisture drip out so it doesnt discolor the tips.

Sounds like the factory set-up on my 85 5.0 Mustang with the Y pipe. Although the Stang use two mufflers.

97' 4.0 sohc

does anybody think that you could run dual exhaust with the 4.0 SOCH. i am hesitant b/c i know these engines love the backpressure. do you guys think it would run ok and not loose power?

does anybody think that you could run dual exhaust with the 4.0 SOCH. i am hesitant b/c i know these engines love the backpressure. do you guys think it would run ok and not loose power?

From what i have gathered over time from other sites, most v6 engines do not benifit enuph or at all from true duels to be worth the cost of installing one. You would be better off having a single in duel out muffler put in. Now if you were running a v8 I would say go for it.

Bill Kemp, what all was done to your exhaust? I thought the 70 was suppose to be a fairly quite flowmaster? I have a Super 44 with gutted cats and my 95 doesnt have much drone at all, I can hear it in the cab but not very loud at all, not like my buddys 07 eclipse with a FM Super 44. Now that thing, woudl drive me nuts lol.

Holy 4 year old thread resurrection!! Way to search man!

As stated above you're further ahead to stick with a single pipe. A 2.5" is said to be the best for the Explorer. You'll get plenty of sound and flow with that. Putting duals in and keep the spare is a headache. Have the pipe tucked up underneath the rear bumper and you don't have to worry about tips. :thumbsup:

true duals

ok that sounds good, ill just stick with single. i really like the sound of flowmaster 44. i have one on my truck, a lot of peolpe complain about the drone but i dont mind it really. i like to hear the engine. thats just me tho

hey. just had a question about dual ins and dual outs. i have a 98 XLT V6 and it has dual ins and a single out. i was looking at the flowmaster 40 series with dual in and dual out but im really not that ... well muffler savy. does it make sense to put in a dual system with duel ins or should i just put a single out 40 series on with a nice looking tip. also was looking to put the exhaust out in front of the right rear tire with a chrome tip cut on a 45 probably. would definitely run less pipe that way and i like the look a lot better. any ideas

What would ya'll recomend for a single muffler duel out system for a 98 ex

cvt98 i got single in and dual out 40 series flowmasters on my 01 sport and it sounds awesome and i got the 4.0 sohc engine.

i am saving up to get true duals now since i got a job now i will probably be able to get true duals soon. But my flowmasters are 2 1/2 inch piping too.

here r pics of my 01 sport and it has some pics of my flowmasters on it.

www.cardomain.com/id/sams01xplrsprt

tell me what u think

Hey sam the exhaust looks nice, how much did you pay for it?

i got my flowmasters for like 610

hey guys im new here and still finding my way around i use to
be part of trs forums but yep got an x now ..anyways im wanting to dual it out simply with a 1 in 2 out muffler but i wanna keep my spare underneath in factory location and have 2 pipes havent decided on exactly where yet but leaning more towards angling them out the side with some tips but i know some people and shops holler it can be done and some say no but i talked to one local shop here in town and he said yeah no problem and he;d do it for 120 thats including a muffler(tips extra of my choice) of some sort any pics you guys have would be great and btw mine is the 4.0 4wd spare tire is 235 75 15

Back