5R55W transmission slipping.

zerodevil

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Anchorage, AK
Year, Model & Trim Level
2008 White Limited V8
So i just passed 108,000 miles on my 2003 explorer 4.6L 4x4. and my transmission has begun to slip. EX: rpm goes from 2k to 4K and my speed increases by about 3 mph, not typical of my truck at all. I Did a brown wire mod a while back(and havnt realy dont much tire roasting, not even a burn out). im not sure how these T-cases are made, but i think it just goes straight through in 4x2 so im probably 90% sure its my transmission failing. I was wondering if at this early phase (done it twice in the last week), if it is still fixable, or if i am looking at a rebuild / replacement. Also, has anyone else had this fixed? about what did you pay for the repair or rebuild.

Thanks guys
Jared.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So i just passed 108,000 miles on my 2003 explorer 4.6L 4x4. and my transmission has begun to slip. EX: rpm goes from 2k to 4K and my speed increases by about 3 mph, not typical of my truck at all. I Did a brown wire mod a while back(and havnt realy dont much tire roasting, not even a burn out). im not sure how these T-cases are made, but i think it just goes straight through in 4x2 so im probably 90% sure its my transmission failing. I was wondering if at this early phase (done it twice in the last week), if it is still fixable, or if i am looking at a rebuild / replacement. Also, has anyone else had this fixed? about what did you pay for the repair or rebuild.

Thanks guys
Jared.

could be a solenoid pack.

god i hope not, i just had that put in when i did my engine swap last month...i may be returning to that trans shop with some compaints

negative, and i just had NEW sylenoid blocks put in all of 5 thousand miles ago.

My rebuild cost me around $1800. I am not completely satisfied with the end results, but it is better than it was before.

wow, i have a line on a 6r60 for around 1500 bucks, and if im out 300 bucks for drive shaft modification i may just come out ahead...i might upgrade rather than rebuild...thanks for the help guys.

wow, i have a line on a 6r60 for around 1500 bucks, and if im out 300 bucks for drive shaft modification i may just come out ahead...i might upgrade rather than rebuild...thanks for the help guys.

Do tell more? Are you hinting that there is a replacement tranny that can be installed?

because the new 4.6L's have the same engine block, im VERY sure that a swap from our 5r55w' and s's can be made to the 6r60 and the gen 4 explorers. my only question is that if i will need new drive shafts, and a different wiring harness, im going to examine one later this week, i may also need the lines from the trans to the trans cooler, im sure they could be fabbed up if they arnt the same ones used on mine already...if my trans repair bill is going to be around 2 grand, im just going to do the swap and call it another upgrade on my long road to a sport truck with 550 rwhp.

Thanks guys
Jared.

My tranny did the same except it threw a OD light code. Dealer had to change the solenoid pack and torque converter. She shifts fine now when on accelerator. Seems sluggish at time when being light on gas. both fixes the dealer charged just over 1k for. They should have just rebuilt the whole tranny for little more.

Any codes?

The dealer should have flashed the PCM to install a new tune for the transmission. This would get rid of the sluggishness.

I will give them a call.

I bet they will want to charge me though.

Thanks for the info.

no codes, no lights, just slipping every now and again...i just had a sylanoid pack put in now 2 months ago...so if its those im going to be pretty upset.

When I called my warranty company to check on why they were taking so long to approve my torque converter, they said that they wanted the dealer to find the real issue and that 2-3 slip was very common for my truck with claims.

When I spoke to the Ford tech who was working on my truck he said adding friction modifier to the trans usually fixes slip issue. Maybe you can try that.

its even done a 2-5 slip and i got like 5 mph out of that one. Im not so sure about adding friction mod to the tranny fluid, but i can look into it. thanks for the heads up.

Keep us informed:thumbsup:

We'll be happy to hear about your results.

5r55w slipping too

I have an 02 explorer xlt and we just changed the solenoid pack after getting error code P0755. O/D light was flashing and has now stopped but the tranny just doesn't shift properly. It took me 5 minutes just to get out of my parking space!!!!

The 4x4 lights haven't come on in the truck once since we have it and I read at the beg of this thread that they should....any insights?

Correct me if I am wrong but I beleive the ecu went through a major change in 05. I think that the electronics between the 5r and 6r might be rough!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Swapping Trannies?

Correct me if I am wrong but I beleive the ecu went through a major change in 05. I think that the electronics between the 5r and 6r might be rough!

No expert, but I do know that having worked with PCM harnesses extensively, actual connections, as well as wire color codes, often change, even year-to-year.

This suggests that unless someone positively confirms having replaced an electrically-shifted transmission with some other trans. designation with acceptable results, it would in my opinion be folly to expect that sticking in a different trans. will work properly. A whole lot of labor is at stake here.....imp

Back