Truck is down, Need it back Asap. Please help! | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Truck is down, Need it back Asap. Please help!

No check engine light is present. I guess I could scan it and see if anything comes up

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yes, definitely scan for codes. They will be stored in memory until the issue(s) are resolved. Very possible to have them without a CEL.

Juat realized I have a obd II scanner and the truck Is obd I. So, I cant scan it and it doesn't run well enough to get to an autoparts store......

I have had no luck finding a grounding strap, but I did clean the MAF. Found the fuel filter and it looks like it is going to.be a nightmare haha. Any tips?

Any help with the grounding strap or fuel filter would be greatly appreciated. Finally got some good weather, so I am hoping to bang this out and be back on the road

As it stands, I have been at work since 7am, even though I am working noon to 8! Hahaha

My 2.3 ranger is in the shop right now, otherwise I'd go look for the ground strap

Iac is insanely dirty. Working on getting it as clean as I can.

Idle is still a bit touchy, but I can give it some gas and it smoothes out some.

Still no luck finding a ground strap anywhere

Idle is actually a lot better, as far as being able to hold an idle. Still had some start and stalls, but with a little gas it smoothes out and is able to hold fairly well. The truck has never been able to hold an idle since I bought it.

If the iac was that dirty, I am guessing the egr will be similar. Should I take it off and clean it out? If so, what should I use

Egr should not effect idle. It could but first check the fuel pressure regulator vacuum line, check if it smells like gas is getting past the regulator and into the vacuum line.
Also, what is the fuel pressure reading? Did you use a paper clip to check for codes? Method is linked above

Honestly not sure how to check the fuel pressure. I do not see a port anywhere. I did the paperclip trick and it worked, but I ran out of time and had to get in to work.

The truck has been sitting for quite awhile, I might try and drive it around the lot some, if I can. Try and get things heated up and running under driving conditions opposed to parked and see if that helps at all.

Is there any other basic things, like the IAC, that I am overlooking? I cleaned the MAF and the throttle body.

Honestly not sure how to check the fuel pressure. I do not see a port anywhere. I did the paperclip trick and it worked, but I ran out of time and had to get in to work.

The truck has been sitting for quite awhile, I might try and drive it around the lot some, if I can. Try and get things heated up and running under driving conditions opposed to parked and see if that helps at all.

Is there any other basic things, like the IAC, that I am overlooking? I cleaned the MAF and the throttle body.

Yes, you are overlooking "GET THE CODES!"

You are also overlooking just about every suggestion made.

How am I overlloking every suggestion made? Because I cant run right out and get the codes at the moment that means I am overlooking every suggestion?

Cleaning the IAC was a suggestion, looking for the ground strap is a suggestion.

I will check the codes, but I am at work right now and trying to plan ahead so I can budget the time I have to work on the truck.

Every suggestion is appreciated and I am doing my damndest to get the truck running with the time and resources I have at my disposal

Because you are wasting time until you get a direction to go. If there are stored codes, you will find that direction.

As it is now, you are saying " I want to go somewhere, tell me where to go"

Ok, go look at the 1993 Ford error code chart for your engine, and start checking them all. The problem could be related to any one of those codes.

If there are no stored codes, then we are back to square one. Troubleshooting a computer controlled vehicle, over the internet, using your description of what is happening. Understand?

Also. Fuel pressure is important. Saying " I see no test port" doesn't get it tested. I myself do not know where the fuel pressure test port is on a 2.3 Ford Ranger engine, but I bet google does.

ok. I quickly tested and I am pretty sure it gave me 114 and 116.

(O,R)
IAT sensor out of range - IAT

(O,R)
Engine Coolant (ECT) sensor out of range - ECT

Turdle, in his defense, the Schrader valve is hard to find on these trucks, and as I just discovered, hard to google for...

this truck is a 94, so your 93 should be similar. Note that this picture is with the intake manifold on top of the engine removed. the Test port is right where that bundle of wires crosses the injector rail (on the left side (right in this pic) of the engine, about 3/4 of the way towards the cab)

0820111547.jpg

On the grounding strap, I couldn't find any pictures, but i did find this:
Remove the lower intake manifold bolts. Some are hard to get at... You will need a 10mm, extension, and an 11mm socket (this one's for a nut that is holding a ground wire onto the rear stud on the #4 cylinder.

ok. I quickly tested and I am pretty sure it gave me 114 and 116.

(O,R)
IAT sensor out of range - IAT

(O,R)
Engine Coolant (ECT) sensor out of range - ECT

Those are two very important sensors, and both should be easy to replace. They are on the 4.0 any way. The IAT should either be on the plenum, or the air intake. Sometimes they are with the MAF. Realize most cars have two temp sensors, one for the gauge, and one for the engine. Make sure you get the one for the engine.

Here is the "im an #######" question..... do these issues coincide with the problems I have been experiencing?

Those 2 parts are sensors for the computer to calculate the correct mixture of 14.7 - 1 (stoichiometry). It might show that it was out of range since the test was performed when the vehicle was cold.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I dont know how accurate any codes will be since thr truck has been sitting and only "running" in place. And, I have had the negative cable off a lot

Back