• Register Today It's free!

Are these tourqe settings right?

Thedave

Reaction score
City, State
Essex
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 ford explorer
Hay people I'll be doing a few bits to my 98 explorer auto this week and just want to double check I have the tourqe settings correct for the bolts being used,
I have done a search and I came up with these numbers, but please correct me if any are wrong, I'm mostly concerned that I have the intake manifold bolts correct, thanks guys

Transmission pan bolts 10 ft lb/13 nm
Transmission filter bolt 8 ft lb/10 nm
Cam chain tensioners 49 ft lb/66 nm
Upper intake manifold bolts 6 nm
Lower intake manifold bolts 13 nm
Hall sensor bolts ? About 10 nm?
Transfere shift motor bolts ? About 10 nm?

For the intake manifold I just used my special tool to judge how tight, i.e. my arm :)
But for the tensioners my pdf says 44 Nm tho if you are reusing old washer then the torque figure will be higher.
I can't for the life of me remember the tranny bolt torques or the filter bolt torque but I do remember having instructions with the filter that gave me that torque. A search in the transmission section will give you those figures I suppose.

Edit;
I will add that when doing the upper intake they don't need to be too tight, more important is they are even. You will find when doing them up you get to a point they squeak and that was enough for me.

Get some penetrant (decent stuff not just wd40) on the exhaust bolts now as the cat needs to come off to get the pan off the tranny.

Oh and as you are taking the pan off to do the filter retorque the valve body bolts see here. http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=258293&highlight=pan+bolt+torque

Ok so I have just done the inlet manifold gaskets and rough idle us sorted, but I now have engine check light on and no power to radio, I'll check the fuses in a bit but any ideas why check engine light is on?

Just to tidy up and end the thread, I found a blown fuse no. 27 15a and I hadn't disconnected the battery long enough the first time so disconnected for 15 mins and it cleared the engine check light

Back