Biggest tire that will fit on a 2003 explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Biggest tire that will fit on a 2003 explorer

4FordFamily

Been there done that
Reaction score
City, State
Fishers, IN
Year, Model & Trim Level
'16 Sport, 08, other ford
Dont want mudders, or boggers, but i want to fill the fender gap nicely, these stock tires arent doing it for me at all.

Any ideas?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

265/75/16

265/70/17

31.5'' tires... no lift and no rubbing...

thank you sir!

Between 31-32" overall height. I am running 275/55/20 (32")

And moderators... could we please get a "sticky" of a tire size topic at the top?

...Thanks!

yea, i agree, it's been discussed WAAAAAAYY too many times.

You could literally search for "tires" and probably get nothing but threads exactly like this one.

been on this forum longer than both of you, I know how to search, was very inconsistent. I ended up spending awhile looking and figured one size was for sure, 265/75/16

Thanks everyone.

been on this forum longer than both of you, I know how to search, was very inconsistent. I ended up spending awhile looking and figured one size was for sure, 265/75/16

Thanks everyone.

hey thanks Jason - im in the market for some new rubber also.

i actually searched "biggest tires" and found this thread on the first page of search results.

and just for future reference the search feature on vBulleten forums sucks on all forums, not just this one.

there really needs to be a sticky thread.

265 70 17 wont rub for sure on 03 x completly stock is that correct.

No lift - 32x10.50 or equivelent in Metric Measurements on Stock Wheels (265/75/R16 or 265/70/R17) - no modification needed!

I pulled this from the sticky for max tire sizes in the wheels and tires forum.

i looked there but theres so much in there all about other years it was hard to find people talking about my year. But thanks i will be buying some 265 70 17 real soon. thanks again.

No lift - 32x10.50 or equivelent in Metric Measurements on Stock Wheels (265/75/R16 or 265/70/R17) - no modification needed!

Does anyone have pictures of an Ex with tires those sizes?

disappointed

I beg to differ... I purchased Bridgestone Dueler A/T 265/70/R17s for my 2003 V8 Eddie Bauer. Got them mounted on the rim, rim on the car... looked amazing... too bad the tire wouldn't move. The back was hitting the shocks.... (I even felt it myself).

We also tried some sort of goodyear tire in a 255 form which also rubbed... I don't know how other people were able to get the larger tires on - but I'm jealous. My car has the "off-road package" - could the shocks be a little different? Also has the towing package... (although i doubt that would make a difference).

245/65's it is :(

I beg to differ... I purchased Bridgestone Dueler A/T 265/70/R17s for my 2003 V8 Eddie Bauer. Got them mounted on the rim, rim on the car... looked amazing... too bad the tire wouldn't move. The back was hitting the shocks.... (I even felt it myself).

We also tried some sort of goodyear tire in a 255 form which also rubbed... I don't know how other people were able to get the larger tires on - but I'm jealous. My car has the "off-road package" - could the shocks be a little different? Also has the towing package... (although i doubt that would make a difference).

245/65's it is :(

I had that problem with my 2000 Durango. The person who owned it before me had wrecked it and it had bent the frame and the suspension didn't sit properly.

Not saying this is the case with your car, but suggesting it as a possibility if you didn't own your car since new. Carfax has now looked over 3 serious wrecks in 3 different cars I've owned. My 1995 explorer had been totaled in the front, had core support replaced and a lot more. My 2003 explorer has also had the core support replaced, and the front AND back re-painted. AND my 2000 Durango seriously seems like a train had blown through it, but it was a Dodge and therefor a POS anyway.

I don't THINK that would be the issue as I bought it from the original owner and the previous tires were worn evenly. The only supposed accident was a bump on the right rear panel - and the tire shop was putting it on the front left wheel. Thankfully they were willing to take the ones I had ordered back. Thanks for your ideas tho!

I don't THINK that would be the issue as I bought it from the original owner and the previous tires were worn evenly. The only supposed accident was a bump on the right rear panel - and the tire shop was putting it on the front left wheel. Thankfully they were willing to take the ones I had ordered back. Thanks for your ideas tho!

My Durango didn't have treadwear issues they had rigged it up so that the wheels sat flat. I hope it isn't the case just food for thought. Look how far your wheels stick out of each wheel well, how close they are to the front and back part of the fender directly in front or back of them (gaps)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have a 2004 2WD Mercury Mountaineer, I am looking at the Toyo Open Country MT 265/70/17, does anyone know if they will fit stock? I'm running stock size right now, which is 245/65/17, and there appears to be plenty of clearance.

Thanks.

Back