Cost to replace shocks(maybe) at a dealership? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Cost to replace shocks(maybe) at a dealership?

SeanEXP

Reaction score
City, State
NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
04 Explorer EB
I believe my Explorer needs new shocks because every time I go over a bump I hear a squeak. I'm suspecting it could be shocks or something. I know ford is going to charge me an arm and leg today. But can I purchase the parts and have them fix it? Also does the part have to be Motorcraft? Or can it be other brands like Monroe, Rancho and etc? I don't want to give Ford a reason to void the warranty.

I like to do business with them since I am not that Mechanically when it comes to vehicle plus I don't have the space to work on the vehicle.

The squeak and be anything but when I hear a squeak, I usually think about suspension.... I was reading online and one said it could be the ball joints? Do they make noise when going over bumps if they are bad?....

I am looking up online about prices for this job and I see some for over $1,000....that has to be for shocks all the way around....$1,000 seems kinda high:rolleyes:

After seeing these prices I hope it isn't the shocks...LOL

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

first thing to check are the sway bar bushings. They will dry out and squeak, a trick to see if its them is to spray a lot of WD40 on the rubber bushings that mount to the frame. If the noise stops then you found the problem, (maybe). There has been discussion on what to do next, couple of options.

For Bad struts there are ways to tell: you can feel pavement cracks in the road? When you come to a hard stop does the hood bounce up/down a couple of times (worn) or just go down once and back up once (ok)? Are just some of the way to tell if they are shot.

With the '04 and maybe being over critical at 20k the ride was like poo; i could feel the 'Paint' let alone the cracks. I tried to get them replaced under warranty but no go, stealership wanted $850 for Motorcraft. Dealer will only use Motorcraft, you better off finding a local shop and if you have a good relationship they might let you bring Your parts, but don't hold your breath. Many post on struts. . .

Worn Ball joints, most obvious are cracked boots, any other tests it needs to be on a hoist.

Check the simple things first. . .

Thank you jrford, I will do this and let you know the outcome..thanks ago.

Yep, same thing on my explorer. It tends to get worse as the weather starts to turn cooler. Grease those rubber bushings underneath the front end. That worked for me.

first thing to check are the sway bar bushings. They will dry out and squeak, a trick to see if its them is to spray a lot of WD40 on the rubber bushings that mount to the frame. If the noise stops then you found the problem, (maybe). There has been discussion on what to do next, couple of options.

Check the simple things first. . .

I had a squeak in my front end and first thing I checked were the coil spring bushings and sway bar bushings. I knew it had to of been a bushing (was 99% sure it was) because when I drove in rain or through puddles the squeak would stop, once it got dry it came back on any little bump.

Sprayed almost a bottle of WD40 on the bushings and nothing worked. Took it to my mechanic and he dropped the sway bar because he said it was most likely the bushings there and covered them in marine grease. Still no help.

He took the sway bar bushings out and put new ones in and no more squeak.
Cost 70 for diagnosis in dropping the sway bar the first time and trying to grease them and put the bar back in. Then 28$ for the new bushings. Then 70$ for an hour of labor to drop the sway bar again and install the new bushings. Total was around 177$, Worth it to me for to get that awful sound gone.

More then likely it is the sway bar bushings. The wd 40 will work for a little bit.

You dont need any room to work on the car- just lay under it :).

Good luck and keep us updated.

If you are going to replace the struts you could get the ranchero lift struts for around 800.00 for all four and they will give you some lift to

A great thing to check is the middle cab mounts. I spray mine with green cap rust check and it fixes them immediately. You really have to drench them.

Back