• Register Today It's free!

starting problems

katenorris007

Reaction score
City, State
morecambe
Year, Model & Trim Level
Can anyone please help me.
Went to the car/truck turned key to start it,starter did not engage turned key to off position removed key but all lights on dash stayed on.Only way to get them off is to disconnect the battery
Following advice i have changed the ignition cylinder and ignition switch,still problem remains.
Does anyone have any ideas on what this problem could be or how to solve it

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I wonder if you have a relay that is stuck 'on'. Try removing all the relays from the under bonnet fusebox and reconnect the battery to see if the lights are out. If so, replace relays one at a time and see what happens.
Its the only thing I can think of that's keeping the power on.

I know when I switch mine on, I can hear a relay click from under the bonnet.

my first thought was the switch on the end of the ignition barrel but if you have changed this and the problem is the same then rule that out.
Next up is damaged wiring shorting out somewhere or water ingress. engine bay fuse box is good place to start as well as around both footwells and wires to starter and alternator.

Thanks for the things to check i have looked at all the relays and fuses,looked in engine bay for water checked leads going to starter and alternator but they are all fine.
I have got an auto electrician coming out next week to check it over and i will let you know how i get on
thanks for your help

had the auto electrician out he thinks its a wire coming from the starter relay we can start the car if we disconnect the little red wire and connect another wire straight to the battery.
When we came to turn car off it carried on running so any ideas what that could be
Your help is apprciated

hi folks just to update you on how the car/truck is
We found out that it was the ignition actuator rod (the bar behind the ignition cylinder) that had broke
we replaced the steering column with a second hand one from a local scrapyard so now the car starts and turns off with the key

Glad you got it sorted.

Back