• Register Today It's free!

removing fuel lines

sean1rice

Reaction score
City, State
LP City, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Explorer sport
So I'm replacing the entire fuel sending unit submerged in the gas tank on my 1994 explorer sport ... and I'm up to the point where I've exposed the top of the sending unit ... Now I need to disconnect the lines.
fuel2.jpg

fuel1.jpg

So I'm wondering if I need to first remove the top L-shaped metal bracket thingy before attempting to use the quick release tools I rented from the auto parts store.

I guess I will use the long blue tool shown below? (It also has a red, different-sized one)
toolkit.jpg

Also since I'm replacing the whole thing, I think it might be easier to get the tools in there if I completely break off the rusted tubing that the lines connect to on the sending unit (thats where the leak is, why Im doing this) Is that a good idea?

... thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

re:

The metal clips are just retainers, they should pop off easily with your fingers or the aid of a large flathead screwdriver. As I recall in the Ford Dealer Service Manual it says to replace those any time you remove them but that's your call, if they're in good shape and have tension they'd probably be fine to re-use. Remove them first, then the line disconnect.

Wonderful thank you ... I guess I'll just snap off those rusty metal lines that I'm replacing so I can get in there. How about the tool, I guess you use the tool to squeeze that barrel-type thing under those clips?

That's a nifty looking tool! If it won't fit you can buy some small cheap plastic ones at the auto parts store. Be ready to get coated in gas!

I don't know about you, but from the pic, that small black tool just above the long blue one looks like it would work on the fuel-filter couplings and possible the fuel lines there at the pump.

oh yea? That one is kinda weird, it snaps apart into two sides ... then I have two pieces that do not click together to form a round-type wrench thing as you would expect.

With either tool, whats the goal, to squeeze the barrell thing, or use the tool just behind the barrell thing?

Pop off the metal L-bracket. That's just a retainer to prevent any chance of the fuel fittings coming apart.

The goal of the fuel line disconnect tools is to expand the tiny retainer fittings INSIDE the metal retailer sleeve on the end of the hose. It won't be any easier if you hack of the lines from the fuel pump assembly, except maybe for getting a better angle with the tank out of the way.

Just keep shoving the tool in there and push the line towards the tool, usually one of the lines takes a lot more work than the others, but if the tool is deep enough, the fittings disconnect and pop off in a snap.

Be sure to replace the entire fuel pump assembly. You can get new ones with the fuel pump and filter attached for just a little more than you'd pay for a pump. Some of them are even stainless steel unlike the factory steel assembly that rusts as pictured.

OH! ... I think I got you ... the tool tries to slide under the metal cylinder thing from the rubber side of the line ... I'm not trying to squeeze the metal sleeve thing (or anything else ... it's more of a pushing and sliding thing) . .. am I correct in saying this?

91 ford explorer xlt flex fuel line

sean1rice,
I just rented the same fuel line removal tool kit that your post shows.
Did you use the black plastic tool that has two half round pieces on each end of it to disconnect the connector on the end of the flex line and if so could you detail how you used it?
Thanks
jpp50
jpp7928@yahoo.com

sean1rice,
I just rented the same fuel line removal tool kit that your post shows.
Did you use the black plastic tool that has two half round pieces on each end of it to disconnect the connector on the end of the flex line and if so could you detail how you used it?
Thanks
jpp50
jpp7928@yahoo.com

I went out and bought a metal one for 7 bucks, shaped kinda like a pair of sissors, with on size on one end and the other size on the other end. I was afraid of breaking the tool kit i rented, which was 90 bucks. The metal one worked pretty easily.
- Sean

Fuel Lines in 1994 Ford Ranger

I took all the fuel lines off getting the Gas tank out.. and forgot which line goes into which one.. Anyone have a picture? Or can tell me.. One has a hard plastic '90 on it.. and the other doesn't.. The middle Feed line into the Fuel pump sending unit, I expect needs to be the one going directly into the in-line Fuel Filter.. is this correct?

-Mike C.

Back