Dopler174

Official Welcome Committe
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Greensboro, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 XLT 4X4
I decided that I had enough of lugging my wheel inside, getting it nasty under the truck and chance theft on the roof. I'm poor so I could not get a swing out carrier. Here is what I did:
I went to the local harbor freight and got a spare tire mount for a trailer.http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?function=Search It's about $11.99 but I got the sale price of $9.99. Then I took apart the inside driver side quarter panel.
1019081329.jpg

I then put some clips in these holes. See below and above.
1019081330.jpg

I bolted the mount down. You will need to drill the holes for the back and mount them down. I chose not do to so because I stood on it and it didn't move.
1019081817.jpg

You will need to measure how much you choose to cut. It is minimal so use caution. You can NOT put it back.
ExplorerSpareMount_001.jpg

ExplorerSpareMount_002.jpg

ExplorerSpareMount_003.jpg

ExplorerSpareMount_004.jpg

I cut the top of the trim off and then slit the panel down and pushed it in so that it would cover up the GEM and the rear wiper jug.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I like the idea. How big of a tire do you think you can fit?

Is there a support bar to prevent the tire from lurching forward in the event of a frontal impact?

Nope. It is as strong as the one that was in my blazer stock, so it should be good enough. I hope to never get hit to find out!:eek:

Not a bad idea. I might think about it. How much clearence do you have height wise. I would be putting a 33x12.5 bfg mud terrain. Think it would fit?

Mine is a tight fit. You would have to space the wheel away from the mount. It would stand about 10inches from your window with a 33. My 31 is about 3-4 inches away from the glass.

You will need to measure how much you choose to cut. It is minimal so use caution. You can NOT put it back!

duct-tape-3m.jpg

Says who?

i have always thought about this. It looks good in cherokees and i like that is in inside and easyer to get than below the truck.

Thats a good idea right there But I would cut that plate off and weld a hub on it.

Not a bad idea. I might think about it. How much clearence do you have height wise. I would be putting a 33x12.5 bfg mud terrain. Think it would fit?

my 33 wont fit like that in my truck.. i have a sport though.

the tire hits the hatch and back seat.. its too big

Mine is close to the rear. I have the wheel against the back of the seat.

i really wish that would work, because right now it just lays there in the cargo bay, because its too big to put anywhere else. i suppose i could put it on the roof, but i would only do it for wheelin, because i dont want to get it stolen.

my 33 wont fit like that in my truck.. i have a sport though.

the tire hits the hatch and back seat.. its too big
Mine too, just tried it. (Mines a sport) Dang! OH and don't put your tire on your roof when wheeling. It adds allot of weight up there, and can actually throw off your center of gravity. (seriously)

Guess I am back to trying to fab a good rear tire carrier/bumper.

I was able to throw a 36" spare in the back -- you poor souls and your Sports :p:

Just plopped it there.

I built a box to slide the tire in that covers the whole back. That way you could put the tire in and still have a flat surface to throw everything else on top of it. Once I built the tire carrier, the box makes a great place for tools and equipment.

Just plopped it there.

my 33 is plopped in the back, but i doubt a 35 would fit.. its pretty tight. it wont stand up though

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

my 35 fits fine upright in the back of my sploder have to tip it to one side to get her in and out but she fits right now its just plopped down to allow for pilage of tools.... i really need to make my bumper mount anyday now

Back