New Member Help - Speed limited to 80 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

New Member Help - Speed limited to 80

Joels2013Exp

Reaction score
City, State
Dover, Fl
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Explorer Base
Hello,

My name is Joel, just purchased a 2013 Explorer base. I love the vehicle, but I noticed one issue. When I am driving on the highway and passing someone, i can't go past 80. It acts like it hits a invisible wall and stays at 80, it will not go past it no matter what. Has anyone ever had this issue?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the forum and happy Independence Day!

I moved your thread to our Stock 2011+ subforum where the right folks should see it.

Hello,

My name is Joel, just purchased a 2013 Explorer base. I love the vehicle, but I noticed one issue. When I am driving on the highway and passing someone, i can't go past 80. It acts like it hits a invisible wall and stays at 80, it will not go past it no matter what. Has anyone ever had this issue?

Speed limit is 70 on the Interstate, you want to go over 80...what is wrong with this picture?

I'd say the car is doing you a favor.

Speed limit is 70 on the Interstate, you want to go over 80...what is wrong with this picture?

Doesn't really help the OPs problem...if he wants to go faster...who cares?

Did it ever occur to you that maybe he wants to race it on a track somewhere?

Speed limit is over 70 in a lot of states. Just because it's 70 where you live, does not mean it is 70 everywhere.
Maybe you should get out of your little loony world and travel a bit.

To the OP - put a tune in it and go as fast as you desire.

Speed limits well over 70 in many places, Lot of toll roads in places like Texas speed limit is 85.

I travel from Miami-Queens all the time on I-95..Speed limit is 70 for the most part but the bulk are doing between 78-83.

When passing a 18 wheeler you want to pass ASAP as many 18 wheelers have big time blow outs while passing them..On my last trip one had a blow out just as I passed it in North Carolina..Sometimes you just have to get to 85 or slightly higher to pass it quickly.

Lighten up, folks...it was meant to be a joke!

Is that part of the 'base' or just a MFT feature? I didn't think these sort of customization was available unless you stepped up to the optional MFT setup.

I saw the limiter in action when I got a ride with the Ford dealer's 'courtesy car' driver - they had a Flex as the courtesy car, and had the limiter set to 70 or so. That thing would 'ding' and then hit the limit. That vehicle had a MFT, even though it seemed like the rest of the vehicle was 'plain vanilla'.

A MyKey issue was my first thought too. How many keys did you get with the car? If you got two - try the other key. One should be a master key that you can use to open up the one that's limiting you.

i've been told that getting the MyKey undone can be a challenge but is a cool feature for kids, people borrowing your car or seniors. :)

i've been told that getting the MyKey undone can be a challenge but is a cool feature for kids, people borrowing your car or seniors. :)

I gotta remember that when my kids are old enough to drive! :thumbsup:

This is the speed limit in Texas in places along I35.
Texas_Speed_Limit.jpg

This is the speed limit in Texas in places along I35.
Texas_Speed_Limit.jpg

Of course he's not in TX, he's in FL where the speed limit is not 85. So that point is moot.

Sorry for not responding after close to a year. It is an issue with one of the keys. The other key goes past 80mph. But on my base Explorer, I cannot find the menu for my keys. Anyway just gave the other key to my wife..

Sorry for not responding after close to a year. It is an issue with one of the keys. The other key goes past 80mph. But on my base Explorer, I cannot find the menu for my keys. Anyway just gave the other key to my wife..

It's in the left menu screen on the dash. It's controlled by the left dial pad on the steering wheel. It should either be in the vehicle menu or the settings menu. Can confirm on my 14 tomorrow when I go out.

Also, you will have to use a key that hasn't been set up under the "MY KEY" restriction.

In my house it'd have to be the other way around.... :)

Of course he's not in TX, he's in FL where the speed limit is not 85. So that point is moot.
You just can't let go of this speed limit thing, can you? You got justifiably called out and you're not giving up until you feel validated and vindicated.
Did you know, at least for the foreseeable future, that residents of Florida are allowed to pass thru the borders and in to other states? Some groups are even encouraged to leave.
Did you know that there may be justifiable, even legal, reasons to drive more than 70mph?
Are you aware that even if the posted limit is 70 mph but the majority of traffic is traveling at a higher speed, that in some instances it could be more dangerous to obey the posted speed rather than travel at the same rate as the majority of drivers sharing the road?
Just a few points to ponder....

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You just can't let go of this speed limit thing, can you? You got justifiably called out and you're not giving up until you feel validated and vindicated.
Did you know, at least for the foreseeable future, that residents of Florida are allowed to pass thru the borders and in to other states? Some groups are even encouraged to leave.
Did you know that there may be justifiable, even legal, reasons to drive more than 70mph?
Are you aware that even if the posted limit is 70 mph but the majority of traffic is traveling at a higher speed, that in some instances it could be more dangerous to obey the posted speed rather than travel at the same rate as the majority of drivers sharing the road?
Just a few points to ponder....

Solid first post. (facepalm).
Did you know the post you quoted is almost 8 years old?
Seems like he let go of the speed thing a lonnng time ago.

Back