2000 mountaineer v8 to v6 swap | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2000 mountaineer v8 to v6 swap

deloacda

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Mercury MountIneer
How much trouble would it be to put A 2000 mountaineer 302 AWD motor in a 2000 mountaineer V6 AWD? I have an opportunity to buy a 2000 v6 in excellent shape that soesnt run. I want to put my motor in it. Would it be more trouble than its worth.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

edit: sorry I read your post backwards...

I think it would be more trouble than it's worth.

V6 trucks are not AWD, they have electronic automatic 4wd.

V6 uses a different transmission and transfer case, the 302 won't bolt up to it. You would need to change all harnesses, including several body harnesses. Look up some of the other V8 swaps on this site. Generally, when it comes to 4 door trucks, it isn't worth it, because you can just as well go and find another clean v8 4 door. But, there are a bunch of V8 swaps into sports on here.

You would be better off using the V6 truck as the parts truck and donating to your currently running V8.

IIRC the 4.0 ohc v6 was 210 hp, and the AWD 5.0 id 220hp? so a power increase of 4.5% ? the numbers alone would make it a pointless swap.

I've had a 1998 5.0 ex, and a 2000 ohc 4.0 ex. I liked the ohc motor better.

Not recommended. Not reasonable. Not worth it. Buy another V6 Explorer instead of swapping engines...and everything in between....

yup. lots of work. i have done the v8 swap into my sport. motor, motor harness, cooling lines, some emissions lines, computer, ignition, pats, exhaust, trans, and transfer case. it is doable, and time consuming as well.

The horsepower might not be much more, but the tourque is significant.

Honestly though, this would be a real big pain in the butt. If you're buying a truck with the v8 in it, just fix it up. Would be way easier.

Honestly, It might actually be easier to swap the bodies.

The horsepower and torque aren't even the important part. The 5.0 and its transmission are many magnitudes more reliable, and easier to build up. If you want a 4.0 to make power, you have to go nuts on the damn thing, and you will just have timing chains to replace soon anyway, right before your transmission craps out.

The horsepower and torque aren't even the important part. The 5.0 and its transmission are many magnitudes more reliable, and easier to build up. If you want a 4.0 to make power, you have to go nuts on the damn thing, and you will just have timing chains to replace soon anyway, right before your transmission craps out.

When I bought my Explorer I did some looking into parts and common malfunctions. I was buying a fixer-upper off craigslist. I priced the timing chain cassettes and the labor involved in replacing them for the SOHC 4.0. You couldn't GIVE me one of them for free.

My 5.0 has got 211k miles on it, the trans is original and it is still very fast. You wanna talk modified power, slap some ported and polished heads on it and a fancy cam and you'll smoke most production sports cars. For that matter, a little time with a power programmer and you'll be running it WAY over 220 hp.

97-01 V8 Explorers are cheap. Like $2000 in good condition cheap. If you bill yourself at an imaginary $15 an hour to do the swap, it's going to cost you 6 grand.

You're ten steps ahead of the game if you sell what you have and buy what you want.

Thanks for all the replies. The issue is the v6 doesn't run that im looking at buying, but its in great shape. Im only interested in the outer body of it. My v8 is not damaged but the paint is starting to fade and crack in spots. It is wedgewood blue. the v6 is light green/tan 2 tone. I think those look the best of the mountaineers. I thought about taking it to maaco and having the repaint it 2 tone. I was afraid you would be able to tell it was originally a different color.

Then swap bodies. Last thing you want to do is waste money on a Maaco paint job.

to be clear, I was talking stock-for-stock, and for street daily-driving

if you want to talk modified, none of the V6 engines are even remotely good candidates. That's why the cammed out, high compression engine under my hood isn't a 4.0 . when it comes to performance, if you want to modify it, start with a decent v8

Back