• Register Today It's free!

93 Ranger 2.3L Voltage PROBLEM

93RangerPLSHelp

Reaction score
City, State
york pa
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 Ranger
So, I posted before about my alternator bolts. I was able to remove the entire bracket, and get a buddy to drill and tap the 2 bolts I snapped off. I went to Lowes and found some replacement bolts (no auto parts store had anything) and I put everything back together.

I have a new battery, new alternator and a new belt. I drove around some and it was obviously very rough, since it had been sitting. But, I was able to drive about a mile or so to a gas station and back with no problems.

After work, I had my girlfriend follow me in her car, so that I could try and get the truck home. It was running OK, and then while on the highway, my voltage died! Gauge went all the way down and the truck stalled out.

I yanked the battery out and stormed into the autoparts store, only for them to tell me its at 99% charge. So, I went back and the truck started, and then the voltage dropped and stalled. Then it did it again. The third time it stayed on and I was able to drive the truck about 2-3 miles back to my work and park it.

The positive cable looks a little corroded, so I threw some coca cola on it (all I had) to see if it would make a difference. But, it did not help

I am at a loss for what the issue could be. I have been without my truck now for some time and was very excited to have it running again, only to have another issue pop up.

I am hoping someone knows what the issue is and can advise me from here. I am not looking to keep replacing components until I find the issue.

Could it be as simple as the battery cables needing replaced? What would cause the voltage to tank like that with a brand new alternator and battery?

Any and All help is greatly appreciated!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So, I posted before about my alternator bolts. I was able to remove the entire bracket, and get a buddy to drill and tap the 2 bolts I snapped off. I went to Lowes and found some replacement bolts (no auto parts store had anything) and I put everything back together.

I have a new battery, new alternator and a new belt. I drove around some and it was obviously very rough, since it had been sitting. But, I was able to drive about a mile or so to a gas station and back with no problems.

After work, I had my girlfriend follow me in her car, so that I could try and get the truck home. It was running OK, and then while on the highway, my voltage died! Gauge went all the way down and the truck stalled out.

I yanked the battery out and stormed into the autoparts store, only for them to tell me its at 99% charge. So, I went back and the truck started, and then the voltage dropped and stalled. Then it did it again. The third time it stayed on and I was able to drive the truck about 2-3 miles back to my work and park it.

The positive cable looks a little corroded, so I threw some coca cola on it (all I had) to see if it would make a difference. But, it did not help

I am at a loss for what the issue could be. I have been without my truck now for some time and was very excited to have it running again, only to have another issue pop up.

I am hoping someone knows what the issue is and can advise me from here. I am not looking to keep replacing components until I find the issue.

Could it be as simple as the battery cables needing replaced? What would cause the voltage to tank like that with a brand new alternator and battery?

Any and All help is greatly appreciated!!

Just to say your problem could lie in many areas of the electrical system or it could be something as simple as you stated with the battery cables. I wouldn't start throwing parts at it. I would say get a DVOM and do some simple test. When you say "the voltage died" that could be caused by numerous things. I think I would check those cables really well and make sure they are not frayed and run an ohm check on them. It probably wouldn't hurt instead of throwing coke on the cables to make sure they have clean contact surfaces. I am not familiar with the past history of the truck and about those broken bolts but make sure your alternator has been plugged in properly. I am not familiar with the Ford wiring diagram or past failures of specific components. Maybe some Ole timmers will help you out.

The truck is "new" to me, so I am not privy to its past. I got it for $550, so I am hoping it is a simple fix. Im not really going to keep putting money into a 93 ranger, but if its something simple I would prefer sticking with it.

If everything dies when it happens, I would look more at the negative battery cable rather than the positive. There are some tests you can do to check it with a DMM, but you can replace it for $17 and its a good idea anyway. Also make sure you have good terminals. Bolt on terminals are junk. The terminals that you solder on are ok, but the best thing to do is get a new cable with new terminals.

OK, so I put in a new Negative battery cable. The old one had about 5 grounds coming off of it and the new one only has a spot for the main ground and the 2 from the junction box. The old one actually had a piece of the insulation gauged out and had another ground hap hazardly spliced it. I got the main grounds on, but the truck is still not running.

It will start, but if you try to let off the clutch and drive, it stalls out and the idle is very rough. I found and patched a vacuum leak/broken line that happened when I took the air box off.

Any thoughts on what could be causing this? Am I missing something?

I truly hope I am over looking something small, I need my truck back on the road

Is the mass air flow sensor plugged in and is the air box and tube complete and tight from the throttle body to the air filter?

Back