Status
Not open for further replies.

projectBlack

Reaction score
City, State
Clayton, Ga
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 explorer 4x4 5speed
i am pretty sure our 98 explorer with the 4.0 sohc has a stopped up cat, since we are a non emissions county i was wondering if these x's will run correctly without catalytic guts? we dont plan on ever selling it we love it but i dont wanna pay the 388 for new cats. i know some of the newer vehicles will not run correctly with out them.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

it will probably run fine without it ,but it will throw a code .the 02 sensor after the cat will trip the code .
(theres a sensor before and after the cat and when those 2 come up with the same reading the code will trip)
i done the same to my ford van (gutted the cat) and it throws a code now .i just clear the code before inspection and all is fine .

i did it on 3 mustangs from 96-98 and never a problem a friend did it on a 02 ranger and it ran like garbage until put factory exhaust on it. i never tried it on a ex didnt wanna mess it up by gutting it. it is driveable but throwing a emission code and runs ruff

SOHC engine is designed to have operate with a significant back-pressure. Using an infrared thermometer, take the temperature readings at the inlet & outlet points. That will confirm the condition of your cats.

will it effect motor if the guts are gone?

SOHC engine is designed to have operate with a significant back-pressure.
Umm, no.
Back pressure in an exhaust system is a myth.
Google it.

OK, my mistake. Regardless, it should have a proper converter.

I dont know everything but back pressure does play some role, i have modified cats and it will throw a check engine light. If this is your daily rig, you might want to clean it out first and see what happens if you dont like it then save up them bucks. Good luck. Or unbolt it before the cat and see if you can tell if there is a difference, but dont go to far, it gets hot underneath. (And is Loud!!)

I dont know everything but back pressure does play some role,

Back pressure is a no-no in your exhaust system. The only role it would play if it were present would be a lack of performance.

It's called exhaust scavenging. Google it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back