2002 Explorer xlt 2WD auto - both power side mirrors are not working. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2002 Explorer xlt 2WD auto - both power side mirrors are not working.

ckellyne

Reaction score
City, State
Atlanta, Georgia
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 XLT
Hello, I have a 2002 Explorer XLT 2WD Automatic Trans and both of the remote side mirrors do not adjust when using the drivers side switch. I checked the fuses and they are fine...no problems there. I decided to replace the switch and got the same result...still not working. Does anyone have an idea of what I can do to fix the problem? thanks much.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to this forum! I've moved your thread to the stock 2002-2005 section. The wires in between the door, and the frame sometimes develop breaks over a period of time. Follow the color codes of the switch wires from the inside of the door to the outside bulkhead connector. It might be a bad ground or a loose connection in the connector.

Power Mirrors not working / Fantastic website

Welcome to this forum! I've moved your thread to the stock 2002-2005 section. The wires in between the door, and the frame sometimes develop breaks over a period of time. Follow the color codes of the switch wires from the inside of the door to the outside bulkhead connector. It might be a bad ground or a loose connection in the connector.

This site is fantastic...I also have a problem with my Blend Door Actuator in the auxilliary air blower unit in the back. The dealer gave me a quote of about $400 to have it replaced, so I don't hear the clicking sound when the air is going in the back of the Explorer. I found a thread on this site that provided step-by-step instructions including removing the trim panels, confirming which part was defective, and replacing it. The thread referenced this link:

http://redassaggie00.blogspot.com/2007/11/my-first-technical-post.html

I've NEVER worked on my Explorer before, nor any car to this extent and had the part out in 90 minutes. I'm taking the part to the dealer today to purchase the replacement, then reassemble everything and wrap it up. Fantastic website!

Thank you for the feedback regarding my power mirrors, I'll take that approach and seek out a bad ground or loose connection. Since both mirrors stopped working at the same time, and I have already replaced the driver side control switch it must be the wiring as you suggested. What is the best way to get at all of the mirror wiring to get this handled...remove both the driver's side and passenger side interior door trim panels? Will I need to remove the dashboard trim as well to get to the wiring? thanks again.

Unplug the switch to see what the color codes are. Trace the wiring to the bulkhead connector which is located behind the kick panel. Use a continuity tester from the switch side to the bulkhead connector side on each wire to see which one is broken. If those check out OK, then use a test light to see which wire on the bulkhead connector has power. As for the parts for the blend door, check WWW.RockAuto.Com or WWW.FastPartsNetwork.Com. Rock Auto has a discount coupon code listed in the vendor section of this site.

Back