• Register Today It's free!

Broken Outside Mirror

kodi101

Reaction score
City, State
IN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Eddie Bauer
My wife managed to break the passenger side mirror on her '11 Explorer XLT. The local body shop said a replacement mirror is $375.00 from Ford. Anyone have any leads on a wrecked '11 or another supplier?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I don't know if it was vandalism or an accident, but my driver's side mirror on my XLT is broken. The cap and the flat textured black trim that goes around the edge of the mirror glass are cracked. The rest of the mirror is fine. I see you can buy the cap separately, and the glass separately, and the puddle lamp separately, but apparently the rest of the mirror is sold as one piece. I guess I have to spend the $350 for the whole mirror. Just wanted to see if someone could take a quick look at the parts diagram to see if I'm looking at it right, or if anyone knows of a cheaper source for a drivers XLT mirror. Thanks!

unfortunately I'm in the same boat as you, mello. I need the trim that goes on the outside of the mirror as well. I checked fordparts.com and the diagram does not show that piece. so I called and talked with a rep and he said id have to buy the entire assembly! $500?? that's ridiculous for needing just one piece off the assembly. I tried junk yards but obviously they don't have anything that new.. so if any DOES know of a cheaper method please let us know! my thought process would be maybe someone on here upgraded their stock base mirrors
or something similar and the trim piece will be the same.. so if anyone has their old mirrors laying around.. PM us!

2011 Limited Explorer, power fold, signal, puddle light, heated..

I tried junk yards but obviously they don't have anything that new.. so if any DOES know of a cheaper method please let us know! 2011 Limited Explorer, power fold, signal, puddle light, heated..
Perhaps you should give reginijr a shout. I believe he picked up a set of 2nd row buckets and console from a wreck. See his post; I need a 2nd row console and paying big $$$.

Peter

Sorry for the grave dig, but did anyone ever find a source for the mirror?

Advice on Replacing Side Mirror 2013 Explorer

Short story, wife broke mirror on 2013 Explorer, 2,000 miles. Egads....

So long story and looking for advice. Dealer wanted $536, $416 parts plus $120 labor (1 hour). I picked up new mirror on Ebay for $250, dealer said they would install if I brought it in. It doesn't need to be painted, so +1 on that!

Dealer said door panel needs to be pulled, yada, yada, yada that's why 1 hour labor. Anyone replaced the side mirror? Does the whole panel need to be pulled or is there easier way to get to the bolts to remove the nuts? How difficult is it to replace this myself?

Thanks

Short story, wife broke mirror on 2013 Explorer, 2,000 miles. Egads....

So long story and looking for advice. Dealer wanted $536, $416 parts plus $120 labor (1 hour). I picked up new mirror on Ebay for $250, dealer said they would install if I brought it in. It doesn't need to be painted, so +1 on that!

Dealer said door panel needs to be pulled, yada, yada, yada that's why 1 hour labor. Anyone replaced the side mirror? Does the whole panel need to be pulled or is there easier way to get to the bolts to remove the nuts? How difficult is it to replace this myself?

Thanks
Not knowing exactly the type of mirror you have, fordparts.com lists them from $283 to $525 so $250 is less than the least expensive one. Good luck. It seems to me that I read a post that mentioned that the door panel had to be removed.

Peter

Peter

Not knowing exactly the type of mirror you have, fordparts.com lists them from $283 to $525 so $250 is less than the least expensive one. Good luck. It seems to me that I read a post that mentioned that the door panel had to be removed.

Peter

Peter
I had checked out Ford Parts, it's part #BB5Z17683BA. Same price as dealer (dealer price is with tax). Another seller on Ebay has this same part for $290 so better deal to be had on Ebay for this Ford Part. I've looked at the door panel and was hoping there was alternative to getting the black plastic panel off instead of removing the whole panel. With all the switches and such I think I'll have to dip into the wallet to have dealer do the job.

No, the whole panel does not have to be removed, just the black piece that sits above the panel. The screws holding the mirror on sit behind that. Do a search, someone else did a mirror replacement and thats all it took.

No, the whole panel does not have to be removed, just the black piece that sits above the panel. The screws holding the mirror on sit behind that. Do a search, someone else did a mirror replacement and thats all it took.

From the replacement part I can see it should be easy to replace if I can get to the bolts/nuts. I had done several searches and haven't found info on how to remove the black plastic cover. The dealer then said they had to remove the panel so I thought I'd ask here. Seems like it should be simple, just can't figure out how to get the panel off.

From the replacement part I can see it should be easy to replace if I can get to the bolts/nuts. I had done several searches and haven't found info on how to remove the black plastic cover. The dealer then said they had to remove the panel so I thought I'd ask here. Seems like it should be simple, just can't figure out how to get the panel off.

Did you try pulling on it? Seriously......there are 3 clips that hold it on. Get your fingers slightly behind it and pull.....There are TWO nuts that hold the mirror in place.....just dont drop the nuts, otherwise you will be pulling the door panels off.....but for those, its just 2 screws and a bunch of clips also....

Took me more time to take the pictures and right this post than it did for me to pop it off.......

IMG_3459.jpg

IMG_3460.jpg

Did you try pulling on it? Seriously......there are 3 clips that hold it on. Get your fingers slightly behind it and pull.....There are TWO nuts that hold the mirror in place.....just dont drop the nuts, otherwise you will be pulling the door panels off.....but for those, its just 2 screws and a bunch of clips also....

Took me more time to take the pictures and right this post than it did for me to pop it off.......

IMG_3459.jpg

IMG_3460.jpg
Thanks for the response. And yes, I did try to pull on it and saw that it had some movement. But before I started to pull on it and have something snap off trying to pry it off I thought I'd ask first. As dealer told me they had to pull the door panel I wasn't sure if there might be some attachment under the panel for this plastic cover. After seeing how Ford f'd up easy access to the fuse panel nothing would surprise me.

Thanks again!

Thanks for jumping in with that cnsheets. I wasn't sure about that part. I do recall a post where someone mentioned that there were screws by the armrest that had to be removed but I could not recall if it was for the mirror access or not.
The old memory banks are not what they used to be.;)

Peter

If you need to remove the entire door panel, there is a screw behind a cover at the door pull handle of the armrest area, and a screw behind a cover that sits behind the door release lever, then the rest are just clips...but for mirror, its just the top black panel as shown in the picture.

Hi everyone,

The black plastic piece that surrounds the driver's side motorized mirror cracked into a few pieces when I was backing the truck into the garage after a few too many glasses of wine. Not good. Nice way to end Father's Day. The mirror, motor, painted piece, everything is perfect except for that surround black piece. I saw this video on YouTube that shows that popping the mirror off and unscrewing the surround piece is all that I need. Benny at Levittown was a big help and advised me that it's not a piece that is sold separately and that I would need to purchase the entire mirror assembly. It's over $300. Anyone have parts of that assembly for sale maybe from a mirror they recently purchased and cannibalized? I can't see purchasing a new mirror assembly just for that plastic piece. Looking for any advice or ideas.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=PKbGODmMg_4

Thanks.

Ercole

I may have to bite the bullet here. Now, has anyone replaced their driver's side motorized mirror and can offer any tips or recommendations before I go changing it? I'm thinking this is a DIY task.

Ercole

great place to get Ford Parts

Hi all,
I broke the mirror off of my Ford Fusion. I ordered my replacement mirror from
http://www.teamfordparts.com
all of there part are new Ford parts and are discounted.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back