Chop top and cage time!!

bmxking5

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Monroe, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 Sport & '96 XLT
Well I flipped my s%^t last week. Rolled it four times down a hill. Got knocked out and had a concussion, but don't have a scratch on me, which is weird since the two girls riding with me have cuts and bruises all over them. Oh, and in less than 12 hours after it flipped, right before I could go back and get it, someone stole the headunit, 15" kicker, and both of my amps....

I already got the top chopped off of it and am planning on doing a full cage similar to FordBeast98. (Photo by Matt Vozar)I'll also be adding 1/8" plate to the rear quarters to protect/cover up from further damage. Probably going to make some type of tube flare on it as well as build a rear bumper similar to the front.

Looking for suggestions and help on designs/tubing size/etc.

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

4.JPG

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

other pics

5.JPG

6.JPG

Holy Crap glad to hear u are ok

admittedly truck look pretty good for rolling over 4 times tho.

good luck on your build there.

Those are the after pics?!?! And you rolled it four times!!!?!!!
It held up quite well, it must have been a soft hill. ;)
I've had more damage in a half roll.
Nothing like a rollover to motivate putting a cage in, huh?
Glad you all are okay. :thumbsup:

Yeah, like I said I got knocked out so I had no idea what it looked like. I planned on going back the next day to find the whole roof caved in but was really surprised to see much less damaged there was than I expected.

That sucks that all of your stuff was stolen out of it. I'm glad you and your passengers made it out in one piece. I am looking forward to seeing what you do to this. I wouldn't happen to be able to buy the Explorer Sport emblem off of you would I? I assume you are doing away w/ the rear hatch?

Yeah, the hatch is already removed. I'd definitely sell the emblem. PM sent. And if anyone else is interested I'll have several other parts for sale as well. Most likely the seats (front are grey leather from sport trac, rear are stock grey cloth), grab handles, sun visors, etc etc.

Yikes!

Rolled 4 times huh?
Maybe I don't need a roll bar after all :p:

My worst nightmare is having my truck breakdown or have to leave it in the bush, unfortunately off-roading attracts quite a few persons with no respect for other people`s property.

A few years ago some poor guy got hurt real bad locally, and was medevacced. In the hour and a half or so till his buddies could go back with more gear to get the truck out, the scumbags had already stripped it.

Real sorry to see that happen to you man!

dang man glad to see yr okay, that sucks about yr equip tho bro :(

Yeah, the date on the camera is wrong i guess. It happened last Thursday...

Wow that held up really good.

I have had a few near misses. Hopefully luck will stay with me for a while more.

Glad you and your riders came out safe

Not to be negative... But I would agree with your friends, and it sounds like they have your best interests at heart here. Switch out what you can, and get another vehicle. You're alive and well, and the girls are in good shape (thank God!) I agree with your friends, move forward...

wow you are lucky lucky! Glad to see everyone is okay

Where you wheeling alone?
How did you get out of there?

I am guessing your friends loaded you up and rushed you to the hospital?

Too bad about the stereo, just be glad thats all they took, many times your wheels, supsension and more are stolen, heck here in CO a few years back a well known avid 4x4 guy rolled his Jeep WAY DOWN a hill, it could not be recovered easily if at all... he was killed
His jeep was stripped of everything, even the atlas t case by theives

not cool at all

so glad you are okay, dovetail that sucker!! departure angles and visability is a good thing

Glad you're okay!

I would wedge the front first before i dovetailed the rear. Also, are you gonna keep it a 4 seater? I would get an idea of the seat/cage layout before you go chopping on the rear.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yea I still want it to be a 4 seater. I'm gonna start that tomorrow. I guess I'll cut some 4x4s or something to hammer in right behind where the rear seats will be and just dovetail the cargo portion. Should be much easier to dovetail just that portion anyway since the floor is flat and not dipping down into the seat area. Will try to post pics tomorrow. Thanks

Back