Radio volume is out of control. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Radio volume is out of control.

flyboy229

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 XLT
I have a 2004 XLT, 4x4 with what appears to be the Audiophile Premium, 6 CD, separate subwoofer system. I recently developed a problem with the volume control.

When I attempt to turn the volume DOWN using the control knob, the volume INCREASES. Attempts to further decrease cause the volume to increase even more.

I can hit the mute buttton, then attempt to reduce the volume, and it usually goes down.

Short of an exorcism, does any one have any ideas or recommendations for fixing this problem?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If it is a knob and not a button for the volume control, you can try to spray some electrical contact cleaner around and behind the knob (with the power off) and turn the knob back and forth several times to work it in.. do that a couple times and it might help. I have had to do that with equalizers with "sliders" to get static out and control back into them. You can pick that up at lowes or home depot for a few bucks. Hope this helps!

Now my 2004 is doing the same thing as Flyboy's. Seems like the volume potentiometer is going bad.

Not so sure about contact cleaner around plastic (lexan). Last time I tried that on an electrical switch it started to fall apart from the reaction of the chemical to the plastic.

The faceplace is easily removed from the head unit. I would like to replace the faceplate circuit board which is where the volume potentiometer is mounted.

Anybody know where I can pick up a new faceplate for a 4L2T-18C815-CE for a decent price?

me three: demon possesed volume button

I have the exact problem - volume sometimes only increases no matter which way the knob is turned. Very scary. Additionally, my steering wheel controls sometimes also go crazy - e.g., down volume will change the radio station.

Any thoughts?

A week ago I popped off the steering wheel airbag and removed the switch assembly. Very easy and took only a few minutes. Cleaned what I could with alcohol on the connector and blew compressed air around the switch itself. It has been work fine since.

Just got a new circuit board yesterday from an on-line audio dealer. Cost me $30 plus shipping. I plan on installing that today. That should only take me 20 minutes to do. My theory is that he volume potentiometer is bad. I will update the thead after some run time on the new circuit board.

Thanks

Looking forward to hearing how the circuit board fix works for you!

Also - how difficult was it to pop off the steering wheel airbag and remove the switch assembly. Any tips on how to do that?

Precaution: Disconnect negative lead on battery and wait 5 minutes for airbag system to de-energize.

Pop of the 2 small access cover plugs on the backside of the steering wheel. Use small straight screwdriver or a pick.

Remove the 2 airbag screws, I think they were 8 mm.

Disconnect air bag electrical connector and set aside.

The radio control and cruise control switch assemblies are right there. There were 2 screws for each switch and 1 connector.

Piece of cake.

New board is in and working well. The volume control/know feels tighter and truer. So far so good. I picked up the board for $30 from S.P.L. ELECTRONICS / Stereos on the Go.

http://oem-auto-accessory.com

Toll Free #1-866-380-0529

That sounds like a good solution worth trying - not too expensive and time consuming. Any problems getting the faceplate off?

Thnaks for the name of the company. I'll give them a call. I'd assume they need the model and serial numbers to make a good match. Any problems gtetting the new circuit board mounted?

Thanks,
flyboy 229

You can take the knob off and spray electrical contact cleaner with a straw into it while turning it back and fourth and lightly blow with compressed air to dry. That fixed one I had.

Fix still fixed?

Hey FordFool2,

Just checking in - you have had your fix for a while. All is still good, right? I finally have some time to attack my problem. but wanted to make sure you were still happy with your replacement circuit board.

Thanks!

Board is working great. Not a single problem. Works like new again.

It is the rotary encoder (volume knob )

If your handy with a soldering iron, you can remove and replace the rotory encoder that is used for the volume knob. I own an F250 Super Duty with a 6 disc in dash, but I know most of the Ford stereos use the same encoders. You'll need one that has the on/off momentary push button switch. I got one off eBay for $1.49 and it's been working great for the last 5 years.

Get the numbers off of the one in your radio and make a note of the number of leads it has, then just google to find out the specs. You can also go to Mouser electronics at mouser dot com once you have the number.

Cleaning works on some for a while, but the permanent fix is a new encoder.

good luck

The one that worked for me was the Panasonic EVQ-WTEF2515B Mechanical Rotary Encoder.

The length of the shaft was too long, so I just cut it down shorter. Don't use a dremel or anything that spins fast as the heat will destroy the part. I found out the hard way on another project years ago.

You can always find one with the same specs with a shorter shaft too.

Volume Control Circuit Board

Thanks for posting. This fix worked for me! Volume controls working perfectly. Easy fix!

New board is in and working well. The volume control/know feels tighter and truer. So far so good. I picked up the board for $30 from S.P.L. ELECTRONICS / Stereos on the Go.

http://oem-auto-accessory.com

Toll Free #1-866-380-0529

I, too, am having the volume issue on my wife's 2004 Explorer. I am willing to replace the face plate/circuit board. How difficult is it to do the replacement once I remove the radio from the dash? Is it simply plug and play or is there more to it? My factory head unit has an add-on satellite radio unit hooked into it so I prefer ot repair the existing head unit.

I would like to know how to get the CD player to allow another CD to play after removing the last one without having to wait more than 8 hours before it will take another CD without ejecting it. Anyone else have this strange problem?

field

+1

Lately it just goes straight to max volume and stays there no matter which direction you turn the knob.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

To fix mine I ended up finding a replacement face plate with a control panel on Ebay for around $30.00. Took about 10 minutes to replace. Works perfectly!! I noticed immediately that the volume knob was very tight compared to the one I had in the truck. Time will tell if this is a permanent fix, but the replacement works perfectly, the speed volume works perfectly, and all functions including satellite radio work perfectly. My goal was to keep an OEM radio since I have a satellite radio unit in the truck that is a direct hook-up.

Back