AC Compressor Problem | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

AC Compressor Problem

Explorer98Sport

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Ford Explorer Sport
When i have my AC off my car runs fine, but as soon as my AC is turned the AC compressor will engage then all of the sudden my idle will go down the AC compressor will stop engaging for about 3 seconds then the idle will recover, and then it will repeat again as the idle goes down the AC compressor stops for seconds then recovers. this only happens when my car is at a complete stop. When I go to give it power from a stand still, its like it doesn't have enough power to go. all this happens when my AC is on. When my AC is off my car runs like a champ no problems at all. I just added freon thinking that the Freon about 8 hours ago, but still runs horrible when the AC is on. This is a 1998 Ford Explorer Sport

the idle will vary slightly when the compressor engages (a few hundred RPM) that's normal, however it should not effect the way the engine runs. it is possible that you have a compressor problem, but it could also be that you have too much refrigerant in the system. have you put a set of gauges on the system, or did you just add refrigerant blindly?

the idle will vary slightly when the compressor engages (a few hundred RPM) that's normal, however it should not effect the way the engine runs. it is possible that you have a compressor problem, but it could also be that you have too much refrigerant in the system. have you put a set of gauges on the system, or did you just add refrigerant blindly?

I've had the car for 4 years, and I never had this problem so I just thought the entire refrigerant system was out, so I just put a whole can in without a gage. It isnt that theres too much, I honestly think that there is something wrong with the compressor.

Back