My First Explorer, 2000 EB | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

My First Explorer, 2000 EB

As per the instructions above here's the info:
2000 Explorer Eddie Bauer Edition 5.0
I'm from Parsons KS and you can contact me easily through a PM here.

Well, they aren't good pics. They were provided by the seller using a cell phone. But this is my 2000 Explorer Eddie Bauer Edition. I am going to "visit" it today at the sellers house and pull the radiator. My next day off I get to install a new one (would do them both today, but had to order the radiator). Jon (Turdle) has already provided me with the link to the radiator replacement thread. (Thanks again Jon)

Mods will be slow due to funding and the need to finish putting an engine in my other vehicle (seen below). Probably just go with exhaust and slightly more aggresive tires when funds allow. Any suggestions for basic upgrades? LOL I'm a seasoned Veteran with Thunderbirds, but a newbie with Explorers.

Explorer01.jpg

Explorer02.jpg

Explorer03.jpg

Explorer04.jpg

Explorer05.jpg

Explorer06.jpg

Explorer07.jpg

My other vehicle can be seen here:

GT_Touched_SM.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

The next upgrade...
Due to the added strain of towing the camper (Not to mention my upcoming move to AZ) I decided on a larger Trans cooler. Found one (actually a couple) from an F-350 V-10 that looks like it'll work.

20160825_122110.jpg

I'd also like to get a temp guage installed. But not sure where to put one. May have to break my policy of not liking those A-pillar mounts.

scangaugeII

It displays 4 gauges at a time, out of several you can select from. I monitor actual volts, intake air temp, coolant temp and trans temp with it. It also checks and clears codes, and, can be used as a fuel economy monitor. I also use it in the toyota when we take it on a long drive. Plug and play, use the existing temp sender to your advantage without a needed hole in the pan.

I used 3m all weather hook fastener to mount it right above the message center. The display color can be customized to match the color of the dash lights. I need to show you this thing.

I think i've seen it. But it seems cost prohibitive. I'll look into it though.

Edit: never mind. Just prices them online and they seem doable. Have to start saving my pennies...

Forgot to add this earlier... I put new front brakes on.

20160817_200106.jpg

Instead of the ScanGauge, get an UltraGauge with the transmission temp option programmed. You can display up to 8 gauges on the UG. You can probably get the UG up and running for less than the cost of a single dial gauge and A-pillar mount.

Or get a steering console gauge for an F-150.

I have the SG and steering console gauge in my Explorer (UG is in my Expedition). The console gauge is set up to read the output of the transmission cooler and the SG is programmed to display where ever the OBDII reads it (pan? Torque converter?).

And in my opinion on the cooler, go bigger. You honestly can't have a big enough cooler. The transmission itself has a thermostat on it and won't send any fluid out until it needs to. I've been 4wheeling (slow moving) and the cooler output was about 200 degrees- the same temp as the transmission. A bigger cooler is on my list.

Thanks for the info and advice. The project is kinda on the back burner, maybe a winter project as fall is fast approaching and i won't be doing any towing or wheeling in the winter months, hence no extra cooling required till spring.

Getting ready for ksrocks this Sunday. Removed the low hanging receiver hitch, installed a factory recovery hook and put a heavy recovery hook in the bumper hitch location just for fun. When it's been cleaned the spare will go in the back cargo area.

20160913_125358.jpg

Anybody know What this is? Just noticed it while under the truck.

20160913_125521.jpg

Christmas came early. Their a lot bigger than I imagined!

20160914_151728.jpg

Well, I've installed a ScanGaugeII and got my radio display to work.

LoL thank you for the answer. But I believe they just installed what they needed when they installed my brake controller.

I wondered how that was utilized. For all I know they may have used it when they installed the 7-blade connector. I don't think I've checked it since then. But everything works, so I'm good! :)
Unless onen of those connectors is a backup light I can connect to and use to power some aux lights when backing to hook the camper up at night...

Well, I'm in the process of replacing inner and outer tie rods, lower ball joints and sway bar connectors. As long as I was in there I decided to replace that growling hub as well, and as long as I'm replacing one hub might as well make it a pair... ya know how that all works.
I was into getting the passenger side done, taking off the rotor, spindle, etc. and just for kicks and giggles I checked the boot on the half-shaft... yep, its torn, ripped pretty good. Don't have time or money to order a new one so a quick dash to the salvage yard is in order. 25 dollars later I've go a good solid shaft. On to completion! got the passenger side done, and am starting the drivers side, put in the tie rods and hub last night so I just have to remove the spindle and replace the ball joint then button it up.

Shout out to MountaineerGreen for his excellent writeup on lower ball joint replacement.

Well I got the front end aligned and wow.... With all new ball joints, inner and outer tie rod ends, sway bar end links and hubs it drives like a completely different truck! I actually get road feel through the wheel. Awesome!

Back