2013 SVT Supercharged V8 Explorer? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2013 SVT Supercharged V8 Explorer?

Stang Cobra

Reaction score
City, State
Redondo Beach, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Explorer Limited 4WD
I'm wondering if Ford will release an SVT Explorer since its had a pretty good launch with the 2011 model. Jeep revealed their 2012 Grand Cherokee SRT8 a couple of months ago, I hope Ford will try to compete against it in 2013. If SVT were to make a sporty supercharged Explorer, would you be tempted to buy one? I know I would, but I'm sure it would cost $60k - $70k and out of my budget range.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm wondering if Ford will release an SVT Explorer since its had a pretty good launch with the 2011 model. Jeep revealed their 2012 Grand Cherokee SRT8 a couple of months ago, I hope Ford will try to compete against it in 2013. If SVT were to make a sporty supercharged Explorer, would you be tempted to buy one? I know I would, but I'm sure it would cost $60k - $70k and out of my budget range.

With gas prices rising and increased EPA mileage requirements, it doubtful for a V8, but possibly the 3.5L EcoBoost.

That 3.5L Ecoboost engine would be great. Tested one in the Flex and it's pretty impressive.

I think that would be an awesome idea. Sales for the Explorer are out the roof.

I know dealerships here in Orlando area sold out already, I can imagine an SVT edition should draw a crowd!

The other option is to release the Police Interceptor Utility (Explorer) 3.7L V6 300HP Mustang engine to retail models. Only 10 more HP but way different torque level.

With the little nagging details, I wouldn't pay $50-60K for an Explorer. If they get everything with MFT/Sunc dialed in, and offer some suspension.handling improvements as well then they could have a fun truck on their hands at <$50K. The problem is that at that price they are getting into the BMW price range and, no offense, but our BMW is just that much better. No need to argue about passenger capcity, etc. I already know and that is why I own an Explorer. I'm just saying that the BMW X5 would be my easy first choice at $60K

I would LOVE to see them drop the Ecoboost V-6 in the Explorer and tighten up the suspension a bit.

With the little nagging details, I wouldn't pay $50-60K for an Explorer. If they get everything with MFT/Sunc dialed in, and offer some suspension.handling improvements as well then they could have a fun truck on their hands at <$50K. The problem is that at that price they are getting into the BMW price range and, no offense, but our BMW is just that much better. No need to argue about passenger capcity, etc. I already know and that is why I own an Explorer. I'm just saying that the BMW X5 would be my easy first choice at $60K

You are right that Ford is no BMW, but SVT vehicles are high performance vehicles and limited edition collectors items. They could easily sell 5,000 SVT Explorers at $60k to $70k, just because there are plenty of SVT fans. And if they were to make an SVT Explorer, it would kick the BMW's X5 ass at the drag strip, and it would even give a $100k Porsche Cayenne Turbo a run for it's money.

I'm not sure how easily they could sell them, the svt sport trac was supposed to come to market, but canceled. I don't imagine it will go any farther than that did. Jeep sold around 11k units of the srt 8 version between 06-10 that doesn't sound like a very hot market to me.

I'm not sure how easily they could sell them, the svt sport trac was supposed to come to market, but canceled. I don't imagine it will go any farther than that did. Jeep sold around 11k units of the srt 8 version between 06-10 that doesn't sound like a very hot market to me.

I know that 3,000 SRT8s a year that Jeep sells doesn't sound much of a market, but it still makes them money and boosts their corporate image. I still think Ford should do it even if they only make 3,000 Explorers. I wouldn't have recommended it if the Explorer was not popular, the Sport Trac's SVT was cancelled due to low sales and that vehicle has now been discontinued. Obviously, most of us on this forum are fans of the new Explorer, so why not wish for an SVT version?

I know that 3,000 SRT8s a year that Jeep sells doesn't sound much of a market, but it still makes them money and boosts their corporate image. I still think Ford should do it even if they only make 3,000 Explorers. I wouldn't have recommended it if the Explorer was not popular, the Sport Trac's SVT was cancelled due to low sales and that vehicle has now been discontinued. Obviously, most of us on this forum are fans of the new Explorer, so why not wish for an SVT version?

things like that cost a lot of money to develop. And for already has things like the raptor and gt 500, gt 350. In lean times like this having another halo car probably doesn't make much sense for them.

Back