5r55E lost drive and reverse

partsman48210

Reaction score
City, State
Ypsilanti, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer Sport Trac
Well I'm new to the forum but not to explorers or my current sport trac

I've actually own my 2002 sport trac 4x4 since it was brand new.

It has never had any trans work done except fluid and filter change. I noticed shift flare and delayed shift from reverse to drive for quite some time.

I've never had any other issues not the slightest slip or anything and no trans codes.

I pulled out of the driveway one day and once I stopped at the first corner in my neighborhood I stepped on the gas and bam....nothing. Wouldn't move at all. Also no reverse. But I have low 1 and 2

Any ideas? My fluid level was fine. I pulled the pan off and didn't notice any vb gasket sticking out so I pulled the vb down and also noticed no issue with the vb gasket. I tested solenoid resistance and all are within spec.

I'm at the end of my diagnostic skills

I do have another trans on the bench right now that does need a vb gasket and updates to the vb. I would just like to solve the problem with my trans that's in my truck.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That is a symptom of a failed input sprag, they can fail all at once without warning. This piece is located in the overdrive section inside the transmission. The only way to get to it is to remove the transmission and disassemble it.

This will be the first trans that I've ever disassembled. Any tips or do's and don't you could tell me.

Do you have any suggestions on where to buy a book for disassembly and reassembly

Many places sell these books, get an ATSG transmission manual. You will need to check and see what model trans you have but I think it is a 5R55E.
Ebay has them

update

This is a an update to my situation. Thanks to JK080 for pointing me in the right direction and the YouTube videos of Hiram Gutierrez. You guys with transmission issues or just have never seen the inside of a trans should really check out his videos. Anyway I made a short video and I'll post some pics as soon as I get to a computer

5r55e no drive no reverse: http://youtube/7M5-QnLhnCc

Just wanted to add a few things.. This is my first video so i kinda missed a couple things. The other trans you see in the video is one that I picked up at the local pick and pull. I plan to get the planetary out of that as long as its not damaged.

If any of you run across this same issue, instead of buying the sprag for $25-$30 I just bought the center support shaft that houses the sprag for $68 at my local for dealer. It has the sprag already pressed in.

the bottom line of why i think mine broke was multiple times a flare between 3rd and 4th on hard excellaration. it felt like it went into neutral and then slammed into 4th. this happened about 5 or 6 times in a 2 year period.

Just thought I would update what's going on. I put everything back together and also added the superior shift kit. Everything is working great but I have to pull the trans back out because I have a leak coming out of the bell housing. Otherwise, it is shifting perfect and seems to have better response

need help

Found my leak but don't know why. I don't want to just replace the bad parts and hope it works.

The bell housing seal melted into the pump to case gasket. The plastic spacer on the pump melted into the front drum. Anyone know why?

Something is not fully seated or all the way down, like if a clutch in the drum is not engaged or a washer or bearing not seated correctly. This causes no end play and when the pump is bolted down it binds and will destroy the plastic pump washer, its melted due to friction. It appears that in the picture that the drum is not sitting all the way down on the star washer on the small sun gear that fits into the planet. You should take it back apart to check for any more damage.

The pump rubber seal looks out of place in your other picture, did it get caught under to plate or gasket? It might not been able to seal due to the end play issue.

washer.jpg

Something is not fully seated or all the way down, like if a clutch in the drum is not engaged or a washer or bearing not seated correctly. This causes no end play and when the pump is bolted down it binds and will destroy the plastic pump washer, its melted due to friction. It appears that in the picture that the drum is not sitting all the way down on the star washer on the small sun gear that fits into the planet. You should take it back apart to check for any more damage.

The pump rubber seal looks out of place in your other picture, did it get caught under to plate or gasket? It might not been able to seal due to the end play issue.

View attachment 80553

This is exactly what happened. Thank you for confirming. Last night I had to take a step back and think it over. It occurred to me that once I got it all together I realized I didn't put the plastic thrust washer in at all. With out even thinking about it, I pulled the pump off while the trans was horizontal, threw the washer on and slapped it back together. I didn't even notice the drum move. So my being impatient caused my whole problem.

View attachment 80553

This is exactly what happened. Thank you for confirming. Last night I had to take a step back and think it over. It occurred to me that once I got it all together I realized I didn't put the plastic thrust washer in at all. With out even thinking about it, I pulled the pump off while the trans was horizontal, threw the washer on and slapped it back together. I didn't even notice the drum move. So my being impatient caused my whole problem.

Back