• Register Today It's free!

1999 Shift indicator broken

Chikar

Reaction score
City, State
Ladysmith, British Columbia
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Explorer Sport 4X4
Shift indicator in instrument cluster doesn't move when the shift lever is moved.

I found I had a broken thumbwheel adjuster bracket, THEN found the copper wire up to the dash was also broken. It looks like it broke inside the cluster itself.

I haven't been able to find an on-line source for the complete assembly, i.e. the in cluster indicator, the cable, and the thumbwheel adjuster. No luck at the few auto wreckers around here either (small town).

Does anybody know an on-line source for the parts? That ships to Canada?

Or, better yet, a way to fix it without replacing everything? Posts on the forum show good ways to fix the thumbwheel. I wonder about the cable and what I may find when I pull the instrument cluster.

Thanks in advance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sounds good to me.

I forgot to mention in my earlier post this is for the 5 speed auto, not 4. Is that what you have?

Heading out the door. Got a new rad yesterday, it was defective. They just phoned to say replacement is in.

I'll look for your reply when I get home this evening. Truck is filling up a friend's garage so need to get it running and out of there. Need the space to get his in and see if my code reader will hint at why it starts then stalls, only from an overnight cold start.

Thanks.

Ah, Didn't know that. I just assumed a 5 speed would have a different indicator than a 4speed.

Once you get shipping costs how can I get payment to you? PayPal OK? Money order?

Thanks

$10 if you want it shipped to you
:D

i have a paypal. or if you want to send a money order. if your not in a major hurry, i would prefer money order. paypal seems to hate us canucks.

You noticed that too with PayPal? Good in the States I guess, but I've had "issues" with them up here.

No big rush so a money order works for me. It's been broken for a year, a few more weeks won't matter.

If you would, once you get a total with shipping PM me at Chikar with your address and I'll get a money order off to you in the mail, and give you my name and address.

Thanks much.

I'd still like to get the indicator from you if it's available.

I sent you a PM

Thanks

This happened to me yesterday! It was weird driving down the highway in park. haha

Hi Tim;

I replied to your PM earlier today and just realized I didn't say so in the thread in case you don't get PM notifications for some reason.

Would also have a rear window wiper arm for a 99 Sport that actually stays on the glass when it wipes? Mine lifts up during the swipe and misses half the rear window.

No amount of cleaning, lubing the hinge/spring, replacing blades, whatever, has fixed the problem and it's driving me nuts.

Hi Tim;

I replied to your PM earlier today and just realized I didn't say so in the thread in case you don't get PM notifications for some reason.

Would also have a rear window wiper arm for a 99 Sport that actually stays on the glass when it wipes? Mine lifts up during the swipe and misses half the rear window.

No amount of cleaning, lubing the hinge/spring, replacing blades, whatever, has fixed the problem and it's driving me nuts.

had that with mine as well. what i did was have the wiper going, stood behind the truck, and bent the arm a little at a time until it made full contact with the window. tomorrow i should have time to find the indicator.

Great to hear about your finding the indicator. Getting tired of the lady friend complaining. And it just plain bugs me when things don't work. The computer tech in me I guess.

Re the rear wiper, I tried the same. The problem I had was when I bent the arm enough to stay on the glass then most of the time it would come out of the park position and jam between the rear window glass and the rear sheet metal of the door.

If I can't find an on-line parts supplier somewhere for a new arm I guess I'll have to bite the bullet and go to the Ford dealer.

Back