Serious Explorations Ford Explorer and Ranger Message Board
#1 Resource for Ford Explorer and Ranger Owners - By Enthusiasts, for Enthusiasts.

Ford Explorer Generation Guide

EF Swag Store 2015 Ford Explorer Forums Elite Membership Chat Room My Posts Reviews Explorer Photo Gallery
Go Back   Ford Explorer and Ranger Forums "Serious Explorations" > Street Truck & Performance Forums > Street Trucks > Need for Speed!

Notices

Need for Speed! Explorer, Ranger, Mountaineer 4.0 - 4.6 - 5.0 Nitrous, Superchargers, Camshafts, Head Work, Stroker Kits... DRAG RACING. Explorers, Mountaineers and Rangers CAN move!

cost estimate for 302, 331 or 347 build

Old 05-17-2004, 02:13 PM   #1
expo5.0
Elite Explorer
Red Wing, MN

1996 xlt

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Original Poster)
cost estimate for 302, 331 or 347 build

I'm beginning to make plans to build up another motor altogether that i'd like to drop into the truck this coming spring or so.

My major goals are reliability, nasty power, driveability, and a reasonably quiet set-up. I think i would be very happy with 400 horses at the flywheel.

I will take a lot of time this fall to search for parts etc. etc. etc.

How much should i budget/plan on having to spend to get what i want?

how would you go about it block wise and displacement wise? will it be easier to do what i need to do with a 302 and just run a good amount of boost (driveability and keeping it quiet remember)

just give me some ideas of the cost

Specialized S-works and p2, Giant Trance X, Marin Pine Mountain
expo5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
( Join the Elite Explorers )

For only $20 per year you can become an Elite Explorer. Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn what modifications really work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members can change the forum "styles" to see less ads, no green underlined links, and many other benefits such as being able to store 1000 Private Messages, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and more. Join the Elite Explorers today.

Old 05-17-2004, 03:50 PM   #2
rydinhigh
Boost Junky
East Hartford, CT

1999 EB 5.0L V8

Vehicle Specs

Well as you know im debating between building up a 302 and stroking it to a 347 or doing a blower.

For the 302 to get bored .30 over stroked to a 347, balancing, 100 shot of N2O, Forged H Rods, 3.40" Stroke crank, cleavite bearings, cam, springs, valves, lifters, pistons, rings, larger oil pump, larger fuel pump, larger injectors, arp bolts for everything and new gaskets was going to run me about $3500-$4000. And thats with me doing everything but boring it and balancing it.

Right now I am really considering just buying the powerdyne blower slapping it on and calling it a day. Then add goodies to it as I go along (larger fuel pump, larger injectors, 9lb pulley). Summit sells the powerdyne for $2910. So its deffinately more cost effective and will take less time than building the engine.

Supercharger is for sale check out
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1039257#post1039257
rydinhigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2004, 06:53 PM   #3
expo5.0
Elite Explorer
Red Wing, MN

1996 xlt

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
we're responding to each others threads on the same topic

thats very true though, the only problem with that is that i have to sit around and save up $ until i have all virtually 4k at one time. I prefer spending 500 every week or two lol i know its the same result in the end but its easier that way.

would be nice not to have to pull this motor out though...

I've heard the things to use a million times for just a sc 302 to make a lot of power, but what all would i want?

i'd want to shoot for like 10 lbs of boost, and my truck has a ton of miles so everything that needs replacing ever is gonna need it on mine.

Old 05-17-2004, 06:55 PM   #4
james t
moderation
Texarkana AR/TX

94 SAS sport

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Just build a 347. The biggest limiting factor on ulimate power output will be the lack of decent headers.

Old 05-17-2004, 07:05 PM   #5
expo5.0
Elite Explorer
Red Wing, MN

1996 xlt

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
you mean a new one eh? thats what i really was thinking would be best.

but how much is it gonna cost, and how much of the work can't i do myself in my one car garage?

Old 05-17-2004, 07:15 PM   #6
james t
moderation
Texarkana AR/TX

94 SAS sport

Vehicle Specs

Go out tonight and grab a few Mustang magazines. 5.0 Mustang & Super Fords etc. etc. Check the ads. Usually you can order a built longblock to your liking cheaper than having one built. D&D Motorsports has a 347 longblock w/TFS heads rated at 425hp for $4300. You can step up to 500hp for $4900.

Old 05-17-2004, 07:17 PM   #7
expo5.0
Elite Explorer
Red Wing, MN

1996 xlt

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
that begs the question- what will and won't work with a long block that is already on my truck? how many other parts will i need to buy?

how much can i save by ditchign fuel injection...

i don't need more than 430 for certain

Old 05-17-2004, 07:20 PM   #8
james t
moderation
Texarkana AR/TX

94 SAS sport

Vehicle Specs

Your intake and everything else will work fine. Get the 425hp motor, throw a bigger pump in the tank and some 30lb. injectors and call it a day. Well, you will also need an aftermarket MAS if you dont have one already. If you do have one, you can send it back to wherever it came from and have it recalibrated to work with 30's.

Old 05-17-2004, 07:23 PM   #9
expo5.0
Elite Explorer
Red Wing, MN

1996 xlt

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
yeah, i have a granatelli that was originally for a stang (dont' ask me what it is, its part of my random engine mods from way back and kenny speed helping me out) but they could redo it at granatelli for sure.

Old 05-18-2004, 10:49 AM   #10
5.0Dad
Elite Explorer
Kennewick, WA
'96 XLT V8

Vehicle Specs

Been thinking about this too. What will be required as far as the computer, after mkt chip, etc? I've seen some long blocks say they are compatible with certain years or types of balancing, are there really any compatibility issues with these?

More than I can afford, but less than I want!
5.0Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2004, 06:32 PM   #11
BeauJ
Moderator Emeritus

Vehicle Specs

I say you could build the bottom end, minus boring and balancing the crank for $2500 easy. 500 for a forged crank, 400 for forged rods, 500 for low compression pistons (If you plan on S/C it also) and then all the bearings, rings, gaskets and oil pump. You'd have to pull the motor out yourself though. But if you went with a 347 you're gonna need some nice heads and headers to compliment it nicely. Everything else would work with the 347 thats on your 5.0. I'd knock all the little stuff out of the way before I go major with stroking it. My next step is the cam swap (which you already have), bigger injectors, and a new stall convertor. Then when I'm done with all the little things and it's paid off I'm stroking it to a 347. Hopefully with my next years tax returns will be enough for custom 1 3/4" headers and AFR 185 heads. Then I'll be ready
BeauJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2004, 03:18 PM   #12
rocket 5979
Resident Gearhead
Lake Villa, Illinois

'03 XLT 4.6

Vehicle Specs

if you r not converned with your truck stock engine genading, then go with the charger. However being that it is probably geting high in mileage and you only need a little over 400 fwhp or so I would just build a N/A high compression 347. That is something you can save and build for gradually. I would go ahead and get the TFS, or Canfeld heads, Edelbrock Victor or Performer intake, injectors, recaled MAS, And then after all that then save for a little while and get the 347 high compression forger shotblock and swap that in. More than 400 hp capable, and you can do it pretty much a check or two at a time. Instead of dropping like $3,000 at a time or more for a charger kit. I see that superchargersonline.com has raised their prices very high on the powerdyne kits. When I bought my XB-1A kit it costed me $3585. Now I see even the regular BD-11 kits for more than 4 grand!!! Huh!!! What the heck is with that??!? All the stuff I said and then the normal fuel and ignition upgraqde will do the trick. I would not try to go with carb versus EFI though. WHole other mess that is just not worth it or as easily tuneable as the EFI is. Let alone efficient.

2003 Explorer XLT 4.6-"Screwed"
rocket 5979 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggest this thread to friends:

Join the "Elite Explorers" Today!

Search Explorer Forum

Top of Page