remove&replace lower ball joints(2004 ford ranger) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

remove&replace lower ball joints(2004 ford ranger)

tedshreds

Reaction score
City, State
san clemente,california
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 ford ranger
i wanna remove and replace my lower ball joints on 2004 ford ranger.. anyone got any tips or instructions?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i wanna remove and replace my lower ball joints on 2004 ford ranger.. anyone got any tips or instructions?
They're a bear to do, so give yourself plenty of time so you don't have to rush things. Also, make sure your replacement ball joints are equipped with zerk fittings for greasing... I put new non-greasable ball joints in my '00 at around 80,000 mi, and at 140,000 mi they already need replacing again.

I replaced all 4 ball joints on my ranger last year. the bottom ones were easy and pressed out and in with one of those "borrowed" c-clamps from the "Zone". the uppers were another story...had to take the a-frames off and put them in a shop press to get the suckers out.

J...like McCormack said, get the greasable ones when you replace them.

i just did the uppers and lowers in my 02 4x4 ranger. they are the same as the explorer so you can hop over to that forum and look at one of the how to's

the lowers have to be pressed out/in. with the uppers, if you are still running the factory control arms, you need to replace the control arms. the aftermarket control arms have servicable upper ball joints but the original equiptment do not.

here is a basic overview of the process

remove wheel.

remove brake caliper and bracket and rotor

remove dust shield.

disconnect abs wire

remove all cotter pins from castle nuts

remove castle nuts from upper and lower joints

remove upper ball joint pinch bolt from knuckle

take mini sledge and whack upper control arm/ball joint out of knuckle

knock knuckle off of lower ball joint

press lower ball joint out of lower control arm

remove upper control arm from fram

press new lower ball joint into lower control arm

install new upper control arm.

take knuckle and place on lower ball joint first, then align stud for upper ball joint

secure/tighten nuts install cotter pins

install dust shield, brakes, connect abs wire

get alignment

Ball joing replacement procedure?

here is a basic overview of the process

remove wheel.

remove brake caliper and bracket and rotor

remove dust shield.

disconnect abs wire

remove all cotter pins from castle nuts

remove castle nuts from upper and lower joints

remove upper ball joint pinch bolt from knuckle

take mini sledge and whack upper control arm/ball joint out of knuckle

knock knuckle off of lower ball joint

press lower ball joint out of lower control arm

remove upper control arm from fram

press new lower ball joint into lower control arm

install new upper control arm.

take knuckle and place on lower ball joint first, then align stud for upper ball joint

secure/tighten nuts install cotter pins

install dust shield, brakes, connect abs wire

get alignment

Did you not have to compress the spring and remove the strut? I have a 2000 and the Haynes manual says that I have to do that (as well as support the assembly with a jack).

Anyone? If there's a 'fast track' (all things considered), please point me in that direction.

tx,
dave

Did you not have to compress the spring and remove the strut? I have a 2000 and the Haynes manual says that I have to do that (as well as support the assembly with a jack).
Use your lower A-arm as your jacking point* and then the weight of the truck will keep the spring compressed and you can then undo your spindle and change out the ball joints.
*Or else jack your truck up and then lower it onto blocks that are placed under the lower A-arms.

Use your lower A-arm as your jacking point* and then the weight of the truck will keep the spring compressed and you can then undo your spindle and change out the ball joints.
*Or else jack your truck up and then lower it onto blocks that are placed under the lower A-arms.

Got it - it just looked like it was better to deal with the steering knuckle than taking out the spring and lower control arm as the Haynes manual said to do.

Now I'm just trying to get the lower ball joint separated - it's really a mess.

THANKS !!!!!

dave

Back