Rear hatch glass hinges

SimpleKindaMan

Reaction score
City, State
Southside of Chicago
Year, Model & Trim Level
03 Mountaineer AWD 4.0LV6
Hello all-
This will be my first post here. I recently purchased a 2003 Mercury Mountaineer V6 with 98k. There were a few minor issues that I took care of on it, and now I'm down to my last one. The right hinge on the rear hatch has separated from the glass. They said to replace the hinges and struts, but I only ordered the hinges. I was wondering if this should be fixed for free because this seems to be a very common problem. Understandably, the car is out of warranty, and I do not see any recalls pertaining to this on the government recall site. If I can't get them fixed for free, is there a thread someone can point me to with a scheme on how to replace these? Do I need the struts too, or just the hinges? I didn't really look at it too close so I'm not even sure where the struts are. Much obliged for any help.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There is a safety recall in effect for 2002 and 2003 Explorers/Mountaineers for that very issue. You should call your local dealer to verify it was not already done to your Mounty and to schedule a time to bring it in for repairs if not. You should get no arguement from them at all if it wasn't already done by a previous owner. They will likely want to keep the truck all day to do the repairs. I finally took mine in about a year ago and had it done. Good luck.

==================================

Notes:
PRO-A MOTORS, INC.
Recall ID # 04V442000 - STRUCTURE:BODY:HATCHBACK/LIFTGATE:HINGE AND ATTACHMENTS - Hide Details
Recall Date: SEP 13, 2004
Component: STRUCTURE:BODY:HATCHBACK/LIFTGATE:HINGE AND ATTACHMENTS
Model Affected: EXPLORER
Potential Units Affected: 955732

Recall Date:
SEP 13, 2004

Model Affected:
2003 FORD EXPLORER

Summary:
ON CERTAIN SPORT UTILITY VEHICLES, THE LIFTGATE GLASS STRUT MAY BECOME DISENGAGED OR THE HINGE MAY FRACTURE ALLOWING THE GLASS TO FALL AND POSSIBLY BREAK.

Consequence:
IF THE HINGE SHOULD FRACTURE, THERE IS A POTENTIAL FOR THE GLASS TO FALL AND ULTIMATELY BREAK AND PERSONAL INJURIES COULD OCCUR.

Remedy:
DEALERS WILL HAVE THE LIFTGATE GLASS STRUT BRACKETS AND GLASS HINGES REPLACED. FOR THE VEHICLES BUILT FROM AUGUST 1, 2000 THROUGH MARCH 3, 2002, THE DEALERS WILL REPLACE THE HINGES AND LIFTGATE STRUT BRACKET. ON VEHICLES BUILT FROM MARCH 3, 2002 THROUGH JUNE 23, 2003, THE DEALERS WILL ONLY REPLACE THE HINGES. THE RECALL BEGAN ON SEPTEMBER 30, 2004. A POSTCARD WAS SENT TO OWNERS ON DECEMBER 27, 2004, ADVISING THEM THAT PARTS ARE NOW AVAILABLE. OWNERS SHOULD CONTACT FORD AT 1-800-392-3673.

Potential Units Affected:

Notes:
FORD MOTOR COMPANY 04S20

That's what I was looking for. What pisses me off is that I was at a supposed premier Lincoln Mercury dealership in my area and they were going to charge me to replace them. Thanks for the help.

I called my local dealership and was literally laughed at when I mentioned that my car may be involved in this recall. So, I called Ford and was told the same thing, that my truck was not involved in the recall. She said she would document the case and forward it to the service manager at my local stealership. Basically, they say I'm SOL. Wouldn't you think that they would fix the obviously defective part of the car that poses a severe safety risk? I mean, c'mon Ford, really? I'll be at the BBB site shortly.

Well the recall does state "Certain SUVs", not all 2003s. So maybe your's is exempted from the recall. Didn't they explain why your's was not included?

Ford never actually fixed the problem

I called Ford about the rear glass hinge TSB on my 2003 XLT after it broke this year. They said, yes the campaign applied and yes it was free. After looking up my VIN they told me that they did it once back in 2006 and would not do it again. I never singed off on such a fix - the dealer probably scammed Ford. Anyway, it's still a problem even if they really replaced it before. They just don't give a crap. They really pissed me off. I guess I won't be buying anymore Fords, including for work. I filed a complaint using the original NHTSA recall number. I don't expect anything to happen.

I filed a complaint with the BBB and Ford. I gave up on it. I can't and/or won't fight Ford over this. I already paid for and replaced the damn broken hinge of death myself. I wonder if they would have listened to me had the hatch window with the faulty hinge happened to fall off and cut me in half.

Hinges Replaced - a few tips

Thanks to Dannyb420 and the others that posted previously. The job took me about 2 hours working alone.

I left the tailgate up the whole time. It would not have been possible for me to do alone if I hadn't done that.
After unhooking the struts at the glass end, I propped up the latch end of the glass with a 3 foot 2x4 on it's edge. That raised the glass above the disconnected struts and allowed me to make the hinge swap and adjust the glass in a near horizontal position before tightening the hardware. I moved the glass around to get an even gap at the top and even gaps at the side. Then I closed the main tailgate followed by carefully closing the glass to check the fit. The latch mated properly, so I final tightened all the hardware. I used a little boat caulk on the plastic washers against the glass since I read reports of leaks there. I also put blue Loctite on the glass bolts. The roof bolts came with it on the threads already. I worked carefully throughout, used a step ladder when necessary, and took my time. Initially I had to gingerly Dremel off a piece of the broken hinge to salvage the screw and plastic washer.

The new hinges were redesigned with more reinforcing web in the area that failed on the old ones. It's clear that either the dealer scammed Ford and never replaced my hinges, or Ford supplied the old defective design for the alleged recall swap in 2006, or both.

Cheers

Hi Everyone,
For what it's worth I took my 2002 XLT in to have the hinges (recall work) replaced. I'm the original owner. The passenger side hinge snapped on me over the weekend.
The dealership also performed another recall, speedcontrol.
All was done in 90minutes at no charge, no problem and no questions asked. A very pleasent experience for a change.

I have a 2003 Eddie Bauer with a broken hatch hinge and I just paid $40 for the cruise control sensor that was apparently part of another recall, however my vehicle is not "eligible" for either recall according to two different dealers in my area. What's up with these recalls?

I've had mine about a year now and the drivers side just let go ,called my dealer for a price but they never said anything about a recall, found out about the recall after running my vin # through Ford's website and it showed up as unresolved , contacted the same dealer and parts are ordered underthe recall directive

Note: I hope this is not frowned upon for reviving an old thread, but I just wanted to make note of something.

I have a 2002 Explorer XLT and on June 26th, the original liftgate glass hinges finally broke. I opened the glass for the first time in months since seeing one starting to flex, and the bolt just snapped off.

From June 26th to today, August 4th, I sat without my beloved truck. I managed to get a rental car paid by Ford, although I'm a college student and not old enough to drive it!! So I was stuck with a Jeep. Not too rough but it's nice to have my Explorer back.

I wanted to write this note on an old thread to let people know that by chance you haven't gotten this repair, they will still honor it. However, they had to completely manufacture new hinges and the service department thought that they may have redesigned the hinges, even on an older car.

P.S. I will continue to not use the liftgate glass. In my opinion it is just too risky!

I got my '02 done under recall last year. If you go to https://owner.ford.com/servlet/ContentServer?pagename=Owner/Page/OwnerRegistrationPage&ord=27997749, you can register as an owner. Once you have entered you VIN, it will alert you if there are any open recalls on your vehicle. I bought my '02 last year and had 2 recalls done since I got the alert from the owners' website.

I just noticed that my hinge has also come loose and the pin is not set right. Will they still cover this under the recall and fix it? I've had the vehicle for about 5 years now and never got any notices.

I just noticed that my hinge has also come loose and the pin is not set right. Will they still cover this under the recall and fix it? I've had the vehicle for about 5 years now and never got any notices.

Follow my instructions for registering your Ex with Ford and it will show any open recalls.

Follow my instructions for registering your Ex with Ford and it will show any open recalls.

Where would the recall be listed?

Nothing is showing under my recalls. :(

Where would the recall be listed?

Nothing is showing under my recalls. :(

Let me log on and find out where the recalls are listed. I'll post up what I find.

Edit: Just logged on. Here's how to find the recall information:

• Log on to the Ford Owners Website.
  • Click on your vehicle on the left side.
  • Scroll down to the bottom of the page.
  • Look under additional documentation.
  • Click on the link for Vehicle Recall Notices.

This will list any open recalls on you vehicle.

Hope this helps out.

Only thing I can add here, is be VERY CAREFUL with that back glass. About $900 to replace it if you break it....

Shawn

I just noticed that my hinge has also cI took my ome loose and the pin is not set right. Will they still cover this under the recall and fix it? I've had the vehicle for about 5 years now and never got any notices.

I took my 02 in this past June and got a free recall repair. It took 24 days and it was unsafe to drive the car..... I asked the Service Dept for a rental car and was denied -- so I called the salesman my father bought it from in 2001 and the manager. I got a Fusion! :D

They said Ford had many complaints even with this delay so they completely redesigned the hinge and had to manufacture them.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I just want to thank everyone for posting their experience. My hinge just broke through on my 2002 Explorer. I will be calling the stealership on Monday. I hope to be one of the ones that has a pleasant experience and get mine fixed for free.

Back