Power Steering Hose Help | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Power Steering Hose Help

Awesome glad to see the heat worked, threading it into the pump first was smart has the hose can be quite rigid and make it hard to thread into the pump properly and get it all aligned up.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yep. Now I just need to add all my fluids and plug in a couple sensors, then see if it starts....

If not, I'm probably going to sell and buy a Chevy.

Today has proven that all has been for naught :(

First of all, now the top power steering hose leaks like a goddamned sieve. I guess I went too apeshit with the torch.

That's not my main concern. I've actually just finished new head gaskets and retimed the cams and the ####ing thing BARELY started and ran like ****.

**SIGH** :frustrate:frustrate

Now I don't know what to do...

try a larger outer diameter O-ring. You said it slid in very easily. Any fluid connection with a packing (or O-ring) is supposed to fit very tight for a good seal. Especially if the fluid is under pressure.

If you have one hose go out, best to replace them all. Like light bulbs, they've been in service the same amount of time. If one failed, the others aren't too far behind.

Damn that was some impressive rust. Is that common to the cars in your area?

If you have one hose go out, best to replace them all. Like light bulbs, they've been in service the same amount of time. If one failed, the others aren't too far behind.

Damn that was some impressive rust. Is that common to the cars in your area?

I'm going to have to.

Rust?? LOL!! I'm in NEPA, rust belt capital of the world!

On the bright side, I've fixed the engine problem. Turns out I had the firing order wrong...:eek:

Now to fix the other power steering hose and that should be IT!

Sounds like good news, relatively speaking.

Ok so in trying to fix the other hose, it turns out it was cracked near flush to the rack. ####ing wonderful.

I ended up pulling the whole rack. It's a good thing I did because the rest of the lines were about to give up the ghost as well.

I did, however, manage to save all the fittings. No idea how to make a pressure flare like is on these hoses.

20140402_155510_zps19c7d6b6.jpg

I don't know where in the HELL I'm supposed to find and/or make these lines, let alone get that broken line out of the rack.

SIGH... I'm NOT spending the money for a reman'd rack when mine works perfectly fine...

Well unfortunately, the lines in question are metal and aren't meant to go out. And in most states in the country say for a few, they don't.

Only way you'll get those lines is from a wrecking yard. And you'd better hope the donor car wrecked near you while out if town! Should be doable though. Any local wrecking yards near by? May just even grab a whole rack.

Well unfortunately, the lines in question are metal and aren't meant to go out. And in most states in the country say for a few, they don't.

Only way you'll get those lines is from a wrecking yard. And you'd better hope the donor car wrecked near you while out if town! Should be doable though. Any local wrecking yards near by? May just even grab a whole rack.

Yes there are but that's total bullshit. These are nothing more than 5/16" lines with pressure fittings on them (save for the two that are pressed in). They should be available at ANY damn parts store and they're NOT.

I'm NOT buying a reman'd rack for over $200 over ONE ####ING LINE braking!

Alright I swallowed my pride and hit up the junkyard today. Turns out my particular style of rack and pinion cooler is only available on a few years and only Rangers and Mazdas, at that. Not available on Explorers and not easily converted :mad: That SUCKS because there are A LOT of 95 and up Explorers at the yard.

I did manage to find an 02 Explorer that the entire bottom of the engine looked like it exploded and oil was EVERYWHERE. Caked on good! LoL this protected the lines on the rack very nicely. Unfortunately, it's not the same setup and only had 3 of the 4 lines I needed.

I took them and the driver side bellows anyway and OMFG $17.50!!!

Gotta go back tomorrow and see if I can find that LAST damn hose!

Ahahah I did it!

20140406_135115_zpsf6b4a014.jpg

I went to a different j/y and found the ENTIRE rack & pinion/cooler setup untouched and rust free on a 2001 Ranger!

It took me all of 45 mins to pull the whole shebang and then $21 later I was on my way home with the last of the parts I needed to finally put my baby back together.

Well, I did just that and took it for a test drive. OMG it ran sooo sweet!

No power steering or oil leaks but I have an antifreeze leak I have to fix. LOL it could be coming from anywhere. I'm so totally NOT worried about something so menial after what I have just accomplished :)

Nice job getting it sorted & thanks for the update!! :D:thumbsup:

No power steering or oil leaks but I have an antifreeze leak I have to fix.
Good job! Great to hear perseverance paying off. When you're ready to deal with the coolant leak, check the lower thermostat housing first. Very common failure with the 4.0L SOHC. Only parts needed for basic repair are the RH144
lower housing, upper and lower seals, and new ECT sensor/gauge sender o-rings. Great link below. GL

http://bengrosser.com/howto/fordthermostat/

Good job! Great to hear perseverance paying off. When you're ready to deal with the coolant leak, check the lower thermostat housing first. Very common failure with the 4.0L SOHC. Only parts needed for basic repair are the RH144
lower housing, upper and lower seals, and new ECT sensor/gauge sender o-rings. Great link below. GL

http://bengrosser.com/howto/fordthermostat/

I already replaced the thermostat and gasket and cleaned the HELL out of that housing. I had it all apart so why not.

I'll still check out the link though. Thanks.

Ahahah I did it!

20140406_135115_zpsf6b4a014.jpg

I went to a different j/y and found the ENTIRE rack & pinion/cooler setup untouched and rust free on a 2001 Ranger!

It took me all of 45 mins to pull the whole shebang and then $21 later I was on my way home with the last of the parts I needed to finally put my baby back together.

Well, I did just that and took it for a test drive. OMG it ran sooo sweet!

No power steering or oil leaks but I have an antifreeze leak I have to fix. LOL it could be coming from anywhere. I'm so totally NOT worried about something so menial after what I have just accomplished :)

Where is the hose clamp on that return line?

Nice! Even the sun is shining on your work.

Back