supercharged 5.0 true fire 98 explorer sport | Page 48 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

supercharged 5.0 true fire 98 explorer sport

hi everyone, my name is tim . i live in selkirk, manitoba, canada and as if this date that i am posting this, i am 36 years old.

i bought my sport in jan 05 from a local ford dealer. it had 111,000KM's on it. this is the second sport i have owned. it was sitting on the lot for about 8 months before i came along. i am the third owner (i was able to track down the person that traded it in, and they got it from a friend, who bought it new in 98).

i started to do a few things to it after i first got it, then i found this site, and all hell broke lose! i've never been satisfied with something the everyone else has, so i started to tinker with it even more.

19_Medium_.jpg

15540626_10154060266577513_2405619719549828739_o.jpg

14242313_10153799452207513_5208987697549996496_o.jpg

50213558658671_547488670_7421875_7068292_n_Medium_.jpg

15_Medium_.jpg

evil_and_min_evil.jpg

DSC01337_Medium_.jpg

DSC01341_Medium_.jpg

DSC02874_Medium_.jpg

10660988_10152352316047513_1588917598_n.jpg

m122b.jpg

981349_256309931177894_674155846_o_1_Medium_.jpg

DSC04422_Medium_.jpg

mods include

interior

installed factory tilt, cruise, overhead console, auto dimming mirror, full length console, with a message center (it didn't have these from factory).

white face with blue flames indigo gauge covers (they light up blue)
blue l.e.d. everything
white l.e.d. interior lights
Kenwood DDX392 Touch Screen Head Unit
alpine 4 channel amp (all four speakers)
boston acoustic front and rear speakers
alpine mono amp (for sub)
2 12 inch jl audio subs
rockford fosgate cap
passenger side one touch window down mod.
custom transfer case shifter
tripple a pillar gauge pod, housing autometer boost, Innovate LC-1 wideband, and oil pressure gauge
12v power inverter with 120v plug in a 2 usb plugs built into the center console

exterior

BMW E46 projectors, mounted into stock housings using clear lens
6000K HID head lights
angel eye "driving" lights, with 8000k h.i.d.'s
clear parking/corner lights
billet grill (powder coated by Turdle)
blacked out ford emblems
custom front steel 95-98 bumper, with 4 inch round tubes welded in for driving lights
shaved radio antenna
shaved roof rack
black euro tall lights
l.e.d. license plate lights
smoked out 3rd break light
lund rear tailgate spoiler/wing (formally from the truck "blackjack" owned by EF member Spas)
hand made roll pan (made from 3 1/2 rear bumpers, with 1/4 inch diamond plate on the top, and it is removable)
aluminum T/A differential griddle/cover (powder coated by Turdle)
Motegi Mr107 20' rims
goodyear wrangler hp p245/50 r20
1 1/4 wheel spacer in the rear, 3/8 in front
and most noticeable, black with blue pearl paint, and blue true fire (ground effects are black with blue pearl as well)

Suspension

2 inch lowering blocks in the rear, reverse TT in the front (2 inch as well)
Explorer Express rear sway bar
4 door leaf springs
rancho rs9000 adjustable rear shocks
03-05 sport trac spindles with drilled and slotted rotors

performance

5L swap
347 stroker
TFS twisted wedge alum heads
comp gold 1.6 rockers
comp cams CCA-35-556-8 nitro cam
heavily modified edelbrock victor jr air gap intake (which serves as a valley pan now)
eaton m122 supercharger (metco 2.70 pulley, and ASP 8 rib 7 1/4 crank pulley) with custom made mount with bell intercooler core
8 rib serpentine belt conversion using pulleys from a 7.3 powerstroke
custom made 3 1/2 inch throttle body elbow
accufab 75mm throttle body
4 inch intake pipe
PMASS MH90 90mm Universal 3000 KG/HR MAF
amsoil cone filter
F.A.S.T. 60lb injectors
edelbrock fuel rails, trick flow specialties fuel pressure regulator with summit racing fuel pressure gauge
walbro 255lph fuel pump
1/2 inch steel braided fuel pressure line from tank to rail using 8AN fittings
torque monster headers
2 1/2 duel pipes with flowpro duel in and out 2 1/2 single muffler
accel extreme 9000 ceramic 45 degree plug wires with boot protectors
4R70W w/2600 stall with J mod
tuff stuff 200a alternator
tuning made possible with sct pro-racer package, and tuned with major help from member [MENTION=102869]Dono[/MENTION] and [MENTION=81804]4pointslow[/MENTION]
flex a lite duel 12 inch electric fans
big 3 upgrade (4 gauge wires)
meziere innercooler water pump
2 froozenboost innercooler rads

Transfer case

4406 manual shift from a 97 F150
modified stock trans cross member to accept 93 mustang 5L polyurethane tans mount
double cardan rear drive shaft

because of all the "fun" i had doing the bodywork, and some other things to my truck, i have nick named it "evil dora" or if you like, just plane "evil"!
and now the thank yous

my buddy gord leiss, who let this thing sit in his garage for 3 months while i did the body work to it. he also gave me a hand with some of the prep work, and painted it for me

kevin willson for doing the true fire http://affordableairbrushing.ca/

Joe Bukoski for letting me do the 5L/4406 swap in his garage

now people from this site, weather they knew it or not, they helped

BIG THANKS to tara a.k.a. explorersport77 for pictures of her truck. wouldn't been able to build the roll pan with out them!

ExplorerSport77's X "Hotness"

jon a.k.a. Turdle for selling me some real swanky rear shackles, as well as powder coating the diff cover and sending them up to canada. as well as much needed info on v8, and 4406 swaps as well as doing the grill and showing me how its done.

don aka dono for the help with the tuning, and wideband, as well as the supercharger

andy aka ahodges for some parts, and any help i needed for all the go faster goodies

5.0 swap - w/ 4406

jad2411 for finding me a link for my hidden antenna

ryan a.k.a. MustangP51 for doing his write up on making l.e.d.'s for interior lights, and how to make projectors

P51's HID Headlight (Projector) and Fog Conversion (PICS)

and N3ELZ cardomain page for L.E.D. switch and cruise pod mods

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/296394/2002-ford-ranger-regular-cab/page-6
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/296394/2002-ford-ranger-regular-cab/page-12
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/296394/2002-ford-ranger-regular-cab/page-23

bob a.k.a. rwenzing for showing me speedhut's sit for the gauges

Gauges, Custom Gauges, Tachometers, Speedometers, Shift Light, Pod

Buzz4x4 for his write up on blacking out ford emblems

How to Make Your Own Custom Ford Emblems

the late aldive for his write up on one touch down passengers window mod

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=141027&highlight=touch+passengers+window+mod

BIG COUNTRY, for his write up on how to install a auto dimming mirror

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=84968

BIG COUNTRY, 98formulaLS1, and Ryon40 for there write ups on how to install a message center

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=225017&highlight=BIG+COUNTRY
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80670&highlight=message+center
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=245085&highlight=Ryon40

MountaineerGreen for his 4406 swap write up and "Custom" Driveshaft for a 4406 and 4" Superlift on the Cheap " (even tho its lowered

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=166726&highlight=awd+4x4+swap
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=185232

Simon, aka blueka for his "pickle" thread, and help anytime i picked the phone up the phone on the 5L swap

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=271813

Jon, aka 4pointslow for any MAJOR technical advice i have needed

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=219092

i wish i could find who did the write up on the overhead console install, but here is the link

http://www.explorer4x4.com/overhead.htm

Russ aka NICE59FORDF100 for his help on the wiring, and what to watch out for electronically.

hopefully one day, i will be able to help people on here just as much as the people that i have mentioned above!

picture.php

plus you know you have done something right when.....

your truck (as well as corkey) wins truck of the month

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums//showthread.php?t=296023

is the feature truck on the fun hump day radio show (starts roughly around the 30 min mark)

http://explorerforum.podbean.com/2011/03/23/19-vroom-zoomboom/

and you drive 26 hours ONE WAY to the carlisle all ford nationals in june 2010 and 2011, and grab second place in the s.u.v. all category!

scan00012.jpg

then in 2014 you go back to the same show you have been to 5 years in a row (nothing by most, but its one hell of a long drive) and take first!

scan00014.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

even as it sits now, i should be able to. i would have to get one made however.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Tim, measure up the approximate size of the intercooler core you think will fit, and let us do some leg work for you. I remember a site that you could order up almost any size, I just need to find it.

Tim, measure up the approximate size of the intercooler core you think will fit, and let us do some leg work for you. I remember a site that you could order up almost any size, I just need to find it.

beat ya to it

http://www.bellintercoolers.com/_pages/customLiquidCore.html

i think 4point posted it on his thread. im home sick today, and already called them. they guy that does all that stuff isnt in yet, so they are calling me back. the first thing i asked was "how small can you make them?" the guy that answered said "we make all sizes, as small as 3x3". my answer "exxxxxxxcellent (said in perfect monty burns voice)".

finished the mock up

10258116_10152094125812513_6895092087410934733_n.jpg

its done, so i can get all my measurements from it, and bolt patters, then send them to the place that is cutting the steel for me. i have to thank jdraper. i figured i could fine how far forward the blower should sit for the belt by hanging a string down from it like a plumb bob. well that didnt work so great. so i gave him a call, and said "jeff, seeing your a engineer, and a gearhead, here is my problem...". just as soon as i finished telling him the problem he says "ok, this is what you do....". i was like you couldnt have paused for a few seconds just to make is seem like i made you think?...no...lol. if i have done the math right, it sits a inch taller then the m90 set up, so i am still not 100% if it all tucks under a stock hood. my buddy came by last night to look at the case for me. he figures he can cut it down pretty easy, so i gutted the blower, and he will come by tomorrow and pick it up. when the plates for the box come back, i will weld them up, and start on the next fun (sarcasm) part being the intake tube.

That looks promising Tim.

Measure the height of the blower pulley for that, and the Eaton in the truck now. That's the tightest spot as I recall, the front edge.

beat ya to it

http://www.bellintercoolers.com/_pages/customLiquidCore.html

i think 4point posted it on his thread. im home sick today, and already called them. they guy that does all that stuff isnt in yet, so they are calling me back. the first thing i asked was "how small can you make them?" the guy that answered said "we make all sizes, as small as 3x3". my answer "exxxxxxxcellent (said in perfect monty burns voice)".

:thumbsup: sounding better all the time!

buddy finished milling the supercharger for me. i didnt think he would have it done till next week. so i jumped in evil and took it for a ride out to his place (first real ride since the snow has kinda melted).

i was happy with it. cant beat the price either :D
put it all back together, and did one more little thing to it

and other then me having to drop oil in it, its done till i get the steel back for it.

M112

Nice finishing touches! Looking forward to seeing that supercharger sitting on your engine and creating lots of boost.

so yesterday, and today i was a tad busy

i got the metal from the laser cutters on friday. they had cut the part that bolts to the blower wrong, so they said they will have to redo it next week for me. i also had to do a little tweeking here and there for everything to fit right (after all, the "samples" for the box were pretty....um...sketchy to say the least).
after a little grinding here and there, and a few tac welds, tada!

oh yea, [MENTION=119708]ahodges[/MENTION]. see that ice cream bucket in the first pic? thats where your rockers have been sitting for almost a year waiting to find their way into a engine. lol

also luck has it we have a ton of contractors coming and going at work. i know one of them a little and asked if he did alum welding. he said he can tig alum. so the next step is to drop the mount back to the laser cutter, tell them to take one more measurement of everything and cut it in alum. then drop it off to the contractor for him to weld.
and on a side note, after everything i did to try and drop the blower down, it looks like it still wont clear a stock hood. :(
so it looks like i will now have to make a cowl hood for this thing.....DUHO!

hood clearance

Is the lack of hood clearance in the front where the blower pulley is or at the rear where the flange for the side inlet is? If at the front, have you determined what size pulley you need? Are your body mounts crushed with age? If so, you can gain some clearance by installing new ones or you could install a lift kit. I was lucky that mine fit with a smaller than stock pulley, removing the hood insulation and cutting a notch in the hood reinforcement.
Hood4.jpg

I haven't gotten around to making it pretty.

NOOOOOOOOO to the lift kit. i have dropped it 2 inches on the suspension to give it the look it has now. that and i already have a lifted ranger for a DD (and with me getting in my old age was a dumb thing to do now i think about it lol).
last fall when i wanted to see what i had to do to get the intercooler for the m90 to work, this was what i found

the cooler made it 2 inches higher. as everything sits right now, it also sits 2 inches higher then the m90. also, i think i will have a interference issue with the TPS. the only way around that problem is if i turn the throttle body 180 so it points down, but then i might have a problem with the throttle cable. as for the pulley, the one thats on it right now is the one i am going to use (2.8). never gave the body mount a thought, but all the gaps in the truck look fine, and i have no problems opening and closing the doors either, so i might have to rule that out, but its worth a look see. and for cutting the brace, i have thought of that, but the one thing that scares me is coming to close to the hood skin, and burning the paint. that would be bad. i still have a little while to play around with some stuff. i know if i put a trickflow rail kit on like andy has (and i probably will need it now to) is that i can drop it down some more. right now the fuel pressure regulator is keeping me from going lower.

Awesome progress, are you gonna drop that on your current motor or build a blower motor?

for now (not that i want to) drop it on the motor thats in the truck now. one part of me wants to go wild on a motor, but my wallet says otherwise, and i dont want to eat kraft dinner for the rest of my life. that and i also want to keep it so i can jump in it, and go for a 27 hour long drive when i feel like it.

That's very good progress, I was hoping that it would fit. These trucks have the engine mounted higher than some other vehicles, to make room for the front diff, of course. Way back in 2003 when I first got mine, I wondered how much the engine could come down, or the differential mounts move etc.

There isn't much to work with to alter those factory locations. I think you might be able to gain an inch at best, but not easily at all.

newest update
i have the new plate that bolts to the blower that they had to recut now, and will have to play around with it this weekend IF i get chance. i had some good luck this week. i was able to sell a truck that i had a lot of money invested in as well. didnt make as much as i wanted from it, but its gone. that now allows me to head down to All Ford Nationals (and probably the last time, getting expensive).
which brings me to the newest "mod" if you like to call it. a much needed one, that i havent gotten around to doing. last year when i was helping Don put the motor back in his v6 truck, i was blown away with the exhaust system under it. i got the name and number of the shop who did it for him, and gave them a call.
now evil has a set of pipes. loud pipes. i should be careful what i say, or wish for. when i went there, the guy asked me what i wanted. i said (in these words to) "i want one hell of a grumble when idling, and when i nail it, i want the world to know." well, i got it......whoops lol. he was able to squeeze 2 1/2 pipe under it, but its 2 1/4 for the first foot or so coming out of the headers. then 2 1/2 inch right back to the black chrome pipes. not sure what muffle it is, just a duel in and out single flowmaster style.

yes i know its dirty. hey, i havent washed it since september!

the bad, it literally drowns the blower out! i also will have to take it back, and get them to tweek it. i didnt really give him a fair time frame to work with, and they never did get a chance to test drive it either.
i have also noticed a increase in mileage. the reason being is i dont stand on it nowhere near as much as i used to, cause she's a tad loud lol!
i also have a header leak someplace. i asked them to look for it, but they couldnt find it. once again Don to the rescue! he bought a set of used TMH's from a member here. unknown to the both of them, and with Dons eagle eye spotted a small crack on the drivers side header. he to has the same type of sound as evil dose (tick tick tick tick). it sounds like a header gasket, but it isnt. mr boostman (damon that is helping me with the blower mount) had also mentioned he has a crack on the drivers side, so after months of looking, i have found mine, because every bolt is tight, and cant find any black spots on the heads. so when i am back from all ford, looks like i am ripping out the drivers header to weld a crack pipe :)D)

and what is it you ask? for a sound clip? coming right up!

and a take off. yup, one tire on fire, but that will change very soon as well

so on the list of things to do are
1. get the LSD in
2. replace the rear sway bar bushings. (anyone have a part number for the ones the bolt to the diff that look like the front bar to frame bushings?
3. replace the rear bushings in the rear springs, and put a new set of springs that i scored off simon when he came here a few wees ago
4. wash, wax, polish, and clean inside
5. paint under carriage
6. nut and bolt it (check everything over)
and this is all with in the next 3 weeks before i leave for AFN.....YAY! can you say stressed out?
and find some time to play with new blower set up......

:eek:

Well done Tim, I like the tips.

It's not easy to fit two big pipes to the back bumper or off to the side, and have it look okay. I've got a very rough Saleen rear bumper, and I hope to open up each side to make more room for the tailpipe tips.

Very cool , that should help it breathe , would love pics of the pipes next time you get it up in the air,

Exhaust

Nice!
Looks and sounds great! Might free up some back pressure too!
More flow in and out of engine = more power.
One question, if muffler is dual in and one out then how do you have two tail pipes? Is it split after the muffler?

its a duel in, duel out muffler. i have to bring it back to the shop that did the exhaust. it hits the diff when i go over bumps (they didnt set the pips up high enough, but he never did get a chance to road test it). 2 friends have heard it now. one of them is my old racing buddy that i borrow his garage sometimes (joe). his first words were "come on. hit the right peddle!" he then smiled and said "sounds wicked. bet the cops like it" (he knows how i drive lol) cross springs, and rear swaybar links off the list. when i pulled the old leafs out the rear bushings was in good shape. the fronts where destroyed! was hoping they would change the ride to be a little stiffer, but its the same. so looks like a find stiffer rear shocks. i have monrows on there now.

shocks

If you want to spend a lot to stiffen up that rear end then get the adjustable ranchos I put on mine. Cranked up on the highest setting they are pretty stiff.
With those and the CalTracs I was launching pretty level compared to before where my back end dropped. Now if I can just get my O2 sensor monitors to run I can get inspected and start having fun again.

Back