Explorer 2nd row console install | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Explorer 2nd row console install

A salesman told a friend of mine recently there was no way to get one for under $300 and it took 3 hours to install. Wanted over $500 to order and install it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

2nd Row Console

The dealership parts department is competely useless. I inquired about both console part #'s

1. DB5Z-78045A36-AA CHARCOAL/PEBBLE

2. DB5Z-78045A36-AD CHARCOAL/SIENA

I plan on ordering the "AA" with Pebble and hopefully it is the black one with the white stitching. I will order it from a local dealer and if it arrives in some crazy ass color then I will tell them to send it back and order the correct part # like I originally asked for with "AD". I figure I will throw it back on them as if they entered in the wrong part number!!! Is that wrong considering they can' look at the parts computer and tell me the difference between the two?

I need the same one with the white stitching as well... when anyone actually gets the correct console with the white stitching, it would be AWESOME if you could post and let us all know what to order. :)

I order the console and as soon as it arrives I will post the results and some good photos of the install. I was told it would take a week to get which puts it in my hands before April 25th.
I plan on installing some matching LED lights into the cup holders and inside the storage compartment so that rear passengers can see inside. I need to do some research so that I can tap into the existing ambient lighting system for power and color changes. Hopefully I'm not the only one that has considered this so any information would be great.

Installing the Flex one with built in cooler sounds pretty cool. I would imagine they are pretty pricey.

2014 Ford Exploerer Sport 2nd row Center console

****DB5Z-78045A36-AA CHARCOAL/PEBBLE****

is Black with white stitchng! It's 100% confirmed I just recieved my 2nd row console and it is matches the Sport seat color and white stitching exactly. I will post photos of the console and the install as soon as get a chance tonight.

FYI, I paid $275 at my local dealer. I printed a copy of the part # from prior post from a dealership in Minasota and they honored the price! No tax and no shipping cost either.

My next project is installing some lights so that it resembles the front console. May have to get a car stereo store to give me price because I am not sure how complex it will be.

PM for photos, I am unable to post any pics at this time.

No problem. I really love the 2nd row console and I'm glad I got it. It looks excellent back there and everyone that looks at my truck seems to be most impressed when the look inside and see the rear bucket seats with the console and can't believe there is a 3rd row. The rear seats are easily just as comfortable as the fronts now that the console has been added.
Phase 1 complete of the many mods I have planned for this beast!

2013 Explorer Sport Console Install

I just put in a second row console in my 2013 Explorer Sport and I thought I would share my install experience. It's about as simple has can possibly be! I removed the two screws and the cover, set the console in place and installed the two rear screws. Once they were tight I used an ice pick to clarify the two front holes. The ice pick went right through so I put the bolt in place and used a 1/4" rachet and 16" extension with socket and one firm hit with the palm of my and hand and started the screw! Repeated the same for the other front side and it was done. This install took all of about 15 minutes. You do not have to cut the front carpet as the directions from Ford suggested! Now if I need to remove the console I will have two very small holes that will probably hide with just the knap of the carpet! Easy and looks great and totally stock! I have no picks, it would have taken longer to take the pics and upload than it did to install!

****DB5Z-78045A36-AA CHARCOAL/PEBBLE****

is Black with white stitchng! It's 100% confirmed I just recieved my 2nd row console and it is matches the Sport seat color and white stitching exactly. I will post photos of the console and the install as soon as get a chance tonight.

FYI, I paid $275 at my local dealer. I printed a copy of the part # from prior post from a dealership in Minasota and they honored the price! No tax and no shipping cost either.

My next project is installing some lights so that it resembles the front console. May have to get a car stereo store to give me price because I am not sure how complex it will be.

PM for photos, I am unable to post any pics at this time.

You mean lights like this? Factory ambient light modules tied in to the front that also change color.

IMG_0681_zps2e125cfb.jpg

IMG_0680_zps09c22151.jpg

Thanks for the tips Player1. I just put mine in and it was super easy and like you, I did not cutting of the carpet. Now the interior looks "complete".

Additional "Space" in consile, behind front panel.

Did you guys notice that you can access another square foot of "storage space" in the console where the Refrigerator compressor used to be?
Just PULL briskly on the Front panel,..from the lower edge, and the pannel removes.
Held in only by two "Ford pinching" fastener clips.
I keep a First aid kit and folding shovel in there. Low use objects,...hopefully.
Milty

Player1

Thanks for the tips Player1. I just put mine in and it was super easy and like you, I did not cutting of the carpet. Now the interior looks "complete".

Glad to hear! This completes the second row! Looks totally stock and more storage too.

You mean lights like this? Factory ambient light modules tied in to the front that also change color.

What part numbers did you use for the modules...any advice on how to tap into the wiring?

The dealership parts department is competely useless. I inquired about both console part #'s

Correction. Although "AA" is the charcoal/pebble, "AD" is not charcoal/sienna. After ordering the incorrect one from a dealership, here are the correct part #'s with corresponding interior colors. All numbers are the same, they only end with different letters to designate the matching interior.

"AA" - charcoal/pebble
"AB" - charcoal/sienna
"AC" - charcoal/pecan
"AD" - charcoal/black

The sienna and pecan are quite similar, just a very slight different shade of brown...make sure to check vin or window sticker to confirm.

I plan on ordering the "AA" with Pebble and hopefully it is the black one with the white stitching. I will order it from a local dealer and if it arrives in some crazy ass color then I will tell them to send it back and order the correct part # like I originally asked for with "AD". I figure I will throw it back on them as if they entered in the wrong part number!!! Is that wrong considering they can' look at the parts computer and tell me the difference between the two?

Billy I just installed a rear console in my 2014 Sport and I ordered the "AA" Charcoal/Pebble. It is a perfect match to the original interior.
TV

Hi all! I am waiting on delivery on my Explorer after doing months and months of research. We got the 2nd row bucket seats on ours but no console (wasn't in stock with all the other extras we wanted - 302a+white exterior+ACC). We will see how we like it, but I can't shake the feeling the console somehow "completes" the interior so I've been looking at the option of getting one and installing it myself later on.

This thread had a lot of useful information, but I have one more for any Explorer owners with the Light Stone interior: which of the consoles matches the rest of the interior? It seems all of the options are a combination of black and something else. Is there a Light Stone option or is black all they come in (I haven't actually seen what a 2nd row console looks like in a Light Stone Explorer).

Thanks!

EDIT: Just realized the Black one would probably look fine seeing as the front console and floor liner are dark anyway, carry on...

Welcome to the Forum aardhaart. :wavey:
I was just going to mention that but you beat me to it with your 'edit'.
Hope you enjoy your Limited as much as I did my 2011.
Happy motoring.:):thumbsup:

Peter

Hi all! I am waiting on delivery on my Explorer after doing months and months of research. We got the 2nd row bucket seats on ours but no console (wasn't in stock with all the other extras we wanted - 302a+white exterior+ACC). We will see how we like it, but I can't shake the feeling the console somehow "completes" the interior so I've been looking at the option of getting one and installing it myself later on.

This thread had a lot of useful information, but I have one more for any Explorer owners with the Light Stone interior: which of the consoles matches the rest of the interior? It seems all of the options are a combination of black and something else. Is there a Light Stone option or is black all they come in (I haven't actually seen what a 2nd row console looks like in a Light Stone Explorer).

Thanks!

EDIT: Just realized the Black one would probably look fine seeing as the front console and floor liner are dark anyway, carry on...

I believe the charcoal/pebble is all black with light-colored stitching...check above for the part numbers I researched.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks, new member, did the rear console.

Hello ALL,

We started looking at the 2014 / 2015 Explore back in July. Once we decided to buy I found a web site that showed all of the inventories on the lot in Texas where I live. Looking for hours I could NOT find a vehicle in stock that met all of my needs and desires. It seemed that if you wanted a Black one with rear bucket seats and tow package you got no console. If you bought with all the goodies and paid $50 k then the console was in about 1/3 of them. Interior color seemed to make it even harder since Black was desired.

Before buying I landed here and saw this thread about the rear console for the Explorer. That made it much easier to find the Explorer I wanted since the console was now NOT an issue. We bought the 2015 for my wife.

I got my local dealer to come close to the online pricing noted here. With shipping and sales tax there was only $20 difference between online and my dealer. Kept the cash local. HAhaaa.

Anyway, as others have noted, the install was a snap! Took me 10 minutes to get my tools together. Took all of 8 minutes to install. Placed the console in with the 2 rear screws, located and tapped down through the carpet with a very long #2 Phillips screw driver and then used the ole Dewalt Drill with the front screw stuffed in the socket and drove the screws in and tightend all 4 by hand just snug. Literally took less time than me typing this.

Thanks all who posted about this subject. Made it real easy. Now onto why the heck my roof antenna is loose!!!!!

BDRAG

Back