Completed Project - Turboexplorer's Full Width SAS Build Thread | Page 33 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Completed Project Turboexplorer's Full Width SAS Build Thread

Use this prefix for completed projects that are not "How to" articles or threads asking for help.
Hello everybody! It's time to start the SAS on my Explorer. It will be an awesome project and the first project of this type and size that I have ever undertaken. Up to this point the sliders where the hardest thing that I have made myself. I am open to any suggestions and or insights from anyone as the project gets underway. I have bought every last part for the build minus the hard brake lines (axles, and from master to the frame) and the flexible lines that go down to the axles. Those are all easy to make so I am not worried about it for now until I get the axles put together and can see what i want to do with those.

Now for a list of things I will be doing with the project:
1995 F-150 8.8 - I bought this used rear axle that I will strip, lock with a Detroit, convert to Explorer Disc brakes, and mount to the truck. Factory rear sway bar will be used. I will be doing a spring over conversion and will also be remaking the rear V8 anti axle wrap bars to help the leaf springs out with the leverage and TQ the V8 37's and 5.13's will put on them.
1976 F-150 HP Dana 44 - I bought this used axle and will be stripping it of the Ford factory wedges, trussing, and building custom glorified radius arms. Like DB_1 runs and like Rubicon Expresses makes. Front will also have a Detroit Truetrac LSD in it as well. This Dana 44 has 1/2" thick axle tubes.
Fox 14" Remote reservoir coil-overs - I will be building shock hoops for these coil-overs, bracing them, and tying them together across the top of the engine with removable double lock tube clamps.
1995 F-150 Steering box - This will be mounted inside the frame rail and used with the factory PS pump and will build a custom steering link from the box to the column. I picked this 1 to keep it ALL Ford and 2 because they are fairly cheap and easy and can be tapped for hydro assist at some point if I want or need it. In order to fit this steering gear I also have to remote mount my oil filter so that it has room. I will be getting rid of the factory oil cooler and have a Trans Dapt remote filter relocation kit.

Project Parts Section:
-37X13.50 R17 Interco M-16's
-Fox 14" Remote reservoir coil-overs with Eibach Springs.
-Detroit Locker for the 8.8
-Detroit Truetrac for the Dana 44
-Yukon 5.13 gears for both front and rear.
-Both axles will receive ALL new bearings races and seals u-joints etc.
-All wheel studs front and rear and spindle studs have been replaced for safety reasons. To cheap not to.
-Already had EBC brakes on it so those pads on rear will be reused and new EBC 7000 series pads for the front have been purchased.
-New front rotors wheel bearings and new Spicer ball joints, going to reuse the warn locking hubs as they work great and are in good order and easily changed later if i wanted.
-1978 Ford T-Bird calipers have been bought in place of the factory F-150 ones. They are 17% bigger in piston size so will give me a little more brake up front to help stop those 37's.
-Trans Dapt Oil filter relocation Kit and addition mount to hook to the block at a 90*.
-Currie Johnny Joints and Rubicon Express Clevite bushings for the all the link ends.
-GM 1 ton tre's for the steering with a high angle tre at the pitman arm.
-Front axle truss. (wasn't impressed with it at all so will be making some changes)
-Extending current Expedition rear drive shaft and will have a custom double cardon one made for the front.
-Metal used: 2"X.250 wall DOM for lower links, 1 1/2"X.250 wall DOM used for upper links, 1 1/2"X.375 wall DOM used for trac bar, and ALL tabs and brackets will be made out of 1/4" Flat plate by me.
-Double lock tube clamps for the shock hoop cross brace that uses 2 3/8" bolts on each. These are so It can be removed.
-All Grade 8 hardware will be used.
-All flexible brake lines will be braided stainless steel Teflon lined hoses.

I like to follow others projects and often find myself wanting more pictures so bare with me there will be A LOT of pictures of the build. I hope you enjoy lots of pictures as much as I do.

First some pictures of what the truck was! Then onto some parts pictures. Build will start shortly.
1998 XLT Explorer. 5.0L with the 4R70W trans. I have the 4406 T-Case. 3.73 gears with rear LSD. Goodyear 31's. Rock sliders and front skid plate. Links to those builds are in my signature.

P1020388.JPG

P1020410.JPG

P1020476.JPG

P1020488.JPG

And here is some video links! :) There are a few videos of me wheeling in CO with nssj2!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

So I still hadn't received any shipping info on those pipe stands so I called them today and they weren't sure on when. They left a message saying they are supposedly 3 weeks out. :mad: Kinda frustrated was really looking forward to them. Also dumb was they charged my card and had no intention of calling me and giving me a time frame. Seams like poor service to me but may be what it is. Calling them back tomorrow since I was at work when they called and see if they will do free shipping or something, if not may request my money back and order when I know they are in stock. :(

Also a little bummer was doing some math to find blade speed on my 14" band saw since I was going to buy a metal blade for it. Its WAY to fast at 2,736fpm. So now I am in search of a treadmill to put a variable speed DC motor on it so I can get the blade speed way down. So that added another small project to do the next few weeks.

So ended up cancelling the order from the first company (terrible customer service) and ordered through another. And they showed up today!!!!

IMG_2082.JPG

Only thing that wasn't up to par is that they do not have a bearing for the ACME thread handle to sit on. Since these I imagine are generally used for holding pipe it shouldn't surprise me. So when you really start to lift it does get hard to turn and kind of binds up. But that's easily fixed with a few washers and some grease :) Will be a great addition to the garage.

IMG_2084.JPG

IMG_2085.JPG

IMG_2086.JPG

And here are a few pictures from the night run up to forest lake a few Saturday nights ago with Sector 9.

IMG_2033.JPG

Just a wee bit of light from the wonderful light bar.
IMG_2034.JPG

IMG_2037.JPG

IMG_2038.JPG

These ones mess with your head. SO much nicer to drive down the canyon with some real light. Of course can quickly click it off if another car is coming.
IMG_2042.JPG

IMG_2044.JPG

i need to get a set of those pipe stands. i have a set of jack stands welded to some 19.5" dually wheels that we call teh super jacks, but they are also super heavy and cumbersome. where did you get these from?

Stands are awesome and haven't even used them yet and they are worth the money just to look at ;) Anyways they are Sumner Pipe stands Model number 780385. Can just Google them and find the cheapest place.

So I got a treadmill to use for my vertical band saw. Variable speed DC motor here we come. Was free but did have to drive 70 miles to get it but was an excuse to drive the Explorer.

Treadmill with cover taken off.
IMG_2112.JPG

IMG_2114.JPG

And tonight pulled all electronics out. They where even nice enough to have a wiring diagram inside the cover all folded up. Bonus!!!
IMG_2115.JPG

The current band saw AC motor set up and mounting.
IMG_2117.JPG

Motor Out
IMG_2118.JPG

And ready for the DC 2 1/2HP motor and speed control to go in.
IMG_2119.JPG

Got the Band saw conversion done yesterday. I may do a full how to write up as I took pictures through the whole thing. But it works great and now I have a variable speed strong bandsaw. :) Now all I need is a metal blade, it has a wood blade now but even at full low speed it can cut a 2X4 no problem. Motor does load up a hair slow so as you push the wood into it it slows down a hair but then it auto throttles up to match the speed it was before. But its not bad at all. Also turned out great as I have a full belt tension control as well :)

Have to make this into that.
IMG_2168.JPG

Motor and electronics.
IMG_2183.JPG

IMG_2186.JPG

Control board mounted.
IMG_2184.JPG

IMG_2185.JPG

IMG_2187.JPG

I'm excited to try it out and get to some fabricating again. Also last weekend was in southern Utah again and me and my Dad drew up the diagram for how I am going to wire my rock lights. Super excited! Will have all the rock lights in 4 circuits and each will have multiple controls that will turn them on. Example when either the right front or right rear door is opened the right rock lights will come on as puddle type lights, same with the left and with the rear hatch. Then all will be able to be controlled by a switch that will run all 4 circuits. Not bad at all to do but need to isolate power to all 4 circuits so when door switches are triggered only that triggered circuit comes on yet all powers have to be powered from 1 switch for them all to work with the rock light switch. It involves tapping into the BCM and using relays. :D Thinking I may do a how to on that as well. Lots of unneeded work really but will be an awesome feature of the truck I think.

I got some cool things done on the Explorer the last month. Including build a new exhaust for it, got all my stuff for the rock light control box and got it fully built ready for the truck, got the band saw blade so that is fully done and cuts metal like a dream, and of course the servicing the truck.

But pictures and things will have to wait for a few days. We are having our 2nd baby tomorrow morning! :) Which also means I have the whole new week off of work so hope to get the rock lights mounted and possibly the control box installed into the truck including BCM door signals. Will see how that goes though.

Also may try and do a southern Utah wheeling run this fall sometime, PM me if anyone is interested. Something for everyone.

Well I have been busy with the new baby but have managed to get a few projects done and few started on the truck. First Project I got done is the new CAT back exhaust. SO much better, and exactly what I was going for. Full mandrel bent 2 1/2" with zero drone and and awesome deep sound that isn't loud. As I love to be out and camp and wheel etc I did not want a loud exhaust that you have to shout over or where everyone around you is like shut that off. So quieter than stock at idle :D but a great deep V8 tone on acceleration.

I used the factory 3 bolt flange from the stock cat back. I cut the pipes off and cleaned up. The factory holes in the flange are 2 1/2" holes. Then I used a summit racing pipe section to get it to the muffler which is a dual inlet and single exit all 2 1/2" Magnaflow Muffler and used a mandrel bent factory replacement 2 1/2" tailpipe that I cut the tip off of since it was terrible. Used all factory hangers including the 2 on the rear of the muffler.

Very happy with the results. The factory was a single 2" pipe exiting the muffler so was nice to get it to a real sized pipe.

IMG_2266.JPG

IMG_2267.JPG

Welds aren't perfect but good for exhaust work.
IMG_2268.JPG

IMG_2269.JPG

Looks great!
IMG_2280.JPG

IMG_2281.JPG

Got my hitch a few weeks ago. Its a Hidden Hitch and it fits and sits great. Its really nice and tight to the rear bumper. Spent a bit of time looking and it looks the best and sits the highest in my opinion. I needed a receiver so that I could run a big drop hitch to pull my tent trailer. Lol, not a chance you could get it high enough to pull off the bumper and even if you could the rear bumper of the trailer would drag and tires would be off the ground.

Pictures include my new baby boy. :) Love this little dude. Sleeps super well, eats great, super healthy and his big sister loves him to death and does really well with him.
IMG_2433.JPG

IMG_2436.JPG

IMG_2441.JPG

IMG_2442.JPG

Pulled the tent trailer up Provo canyon for labor day weekend to spend with the wife's family. Was nice to be able to pull the trailer again. First time I have pulled it with it in the current SAS set up and I can say that I am SUPER happy with it. Pulls great and stops well, better than I expected it to stop actually. Trailer is 1,600 lbs so nothing big by any means. But pulling the canyon was breeze and it could easily keep the convertor locked the whole time. Another thing that I was very pleased with is the exhaust at freeway speeds super quite and pulling the canyon had an awesome sound but was not loud and had no drone at all. :)

12" Drop to get it to sit in the right spot.
IMG_2551.JPG

IMG_2555.JPG

IMG_2557.JPG

Dang, you have been busy on this rig. I am just now caught up. Biggest addition has hair and wears diapers! Congrats on the new baby! :thumbsup:

That hitch is amazingly tight. I dig it!

I have the Stainless Magnaflow system on mine as well, and it sounds great at idle & opened up. :D

We used to have a pop-up trailer. Explorer towed it great, even with all the mods. I ended up making a skid plate for the water tank so I could drag it down the fire roads and remote camp.

Sent from my XT907 using Forum Runner

Looks good and the little guy found a new bassinet in the form of your wheel. Fits perfectly!
O yeah! He fits in there very nice. Thought about taking off a wheel and laying a blanket in it :scratch: However the wife did take a picture with him in my helmet lol.
434.JPG

Dang, you have been busy on this rig. I am just now caught up. Biggest addition has hair and wears diapers! Congrats on the new baby! :thumbsup:

That hitch is amazingly tight. I dig it!

I have the Stainless Magnaflow system on mine as well, and it sounds great at idle & opened up. :D
Thanks for the congrats and yes super happy with the hitch and the exhaust. Both have been needing to get done for a long time.

We used to have a pop-up trailer. Explorer towed it great, even with all the mods. I ended up making a skid plate for the water tank so I could drag it down the fire roads and remote camp.
Yeah love the little pop up. Easy pull and a much nicer place to be than a tent. Much easier with the kids. And have "future plans" all drawn up to put a new frame, axle & brakes etc under it so I can make it into a small toy hauler and carry both my ATV's as well. Then can take both to the dunes at the same time. Figured it would weight 2,800lbs or so fully loaded with both quads new frame and current tent trailer. Still easy pull for the X I think.

Got a few other things done last weekend. My brother bought a 2014 Focus ST so we spent 5 hours going through it and waxing detailing etc.
IMG_2588.JPG

IMG_2590.JPG

Roof reflection
IMG_2592.JPG

Also spent 8 hours going through the new to me 2004 Silverado 2500HD Duramax I bought to sell. Just like the 2003 Sierra I did this spring. Killer deal, has pump rub so needed a new rear T-Case half and a pump upgrade, front shocks, drivers seat reupholstered, instrument cluster rebuilt, wheel center caps, running boards, headlights, wash wax detail. So guy didn't want to deal with it since at a shop they want $1,800 for the T-Case repair alone but only cost me $375 and a few hours. It has the nice 6" fabtech lift, new 35"tires with nubs on them still, its chipped, bed lined etc. So will be a very nice truck when I am done for somebody. But this will give me some extra money to play with the X this winter with lots of trips to southern Utah and front bumps, sway bar etc.

Speaking of sway bar got everything all measured out and the Currie 36" Anti-rock with bent 20" arms Will be perfect!!! Can't wait should be ordered this week. Mounting will be sweet, the bar will actually go through the center of my front cross member I made when I did the swap. Fully clears everything including fully turned tires and trac bar mount, not by much but enough. Should really balance out frame and body of the rig when wheeling.

Also contacted Deaver about rear spring options so will see what they come back with.

Then on top of all that my brother here on the forum (different from the ST brother) Sector9 just bought the 6" James duff kit except the rear springs. So all the gears, locker, lift, tires etc is all on its way and we will be lifting that one probably the weekend of Oct 10-12th.

So lots of awesome projects this fall, can't wait to get started!!!! First on list finish D-Max and sell.

That is one bad ass explorer!! sure wish they came like this stock lol nice work

Back