Warning if you Remove the 2nd Row Console! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Warning if you Remove the 2nd Row Console!

coug

Reaction score
City, State
Wisconsin
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Explorer
Hello everyone,
I cannot thank everyone enough for all of the helpful information I’ve learned on this site. In June, we received our 2013 Limited with 2nd row bucket seats (absolutely love it). We wanted the bucket seats but didn’t want the console installed so it would be easy to get to the 3rd row with our kids car seats in the second row. We ordered it with the console because it’s only $100 with the idea to just remove it and could use it in the future. I also ordered the plastic plate to cover up the mount for the console.

However, this is where the warning comes in! When I removed the console, I was extremely surprised when the carpet was cut out under the console!! So, for now we’re going to have to keep it in and just learn to hop over it. Too bad, it would have been nice to have the option and I don't understand why they would have cut it out. I just wanted to warn everyone that if you don’t want the console in, DO NOT order it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hello everyone,
I cannot thank everyone enough for all of the helpful information I’ve learned on this site. In June, we received our 2013 Limited with 2nd row bucket seats (absolutely love it). We wanted the bucket seats but didn’t want the console installed so it would be easy to get to the 3rd row with our kids car seats in the second row. We ordered it with the console because it’s only $100 with the idea to just remove it and could use it in the future. I also ordered the plastic plate to cover up the mount for the console.

However, this is where the warning comes in! When I removed the console, I was extremely surprised when the carpet was cut out under the console!! So, for now we’re going to have to keep it in and just learn to hop over it. Too bad, it would have been nice to have the option and I don't understand why they would have cut it out. I just wanted to warn everyone that if you don’t want the console in, DO NOT order it.
Welcome to the Forum coug. :wavey: Always nice to see new members on here.
That issue with the carpet was posted by goofydisneydaddy in the following thread;
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=319284&highlight=console

Happy motoring.

Peter

Get the Husky 3rd row liner. It will cover that hole right up. I would recommend the 2nd and front row liners too while you're at it.

Shocking!....what were you expecting???

I'm sure a car restoration type shop could add a piece of carpet there. Shouldnt cost that much since its such a small area. You could even have them attach it with some sort of clip or velcro so you could use the console in the future.

I was thinking that- even check an auto parts store for a roll of carpeting. That Ex carpet really seems not any thicker than the normal store fare. Stick some velcro on, and plop it down there.

As Peter pointed out, we've discussed this in a prior thread. You can get a t-shaped mat to cover the gap. Check out a discussion on this from the flex forums. To order the t shaped mat, search for the flex, as some mat stores don't have the new explorer in their database yet (though, its really not that new anymore).

http://www.fordflex.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=438&start=15

I think the Husky mats might work, though I'm not sure they are wide enough to cover the entire gap.

I've done a lot of research on this because I want to do it too. The ONLY thing available is the rubber all-weather mat from husky...it in a T shape that will go between the seats - the other 'T' mat that keeps getting mentioned is ONLY for the flex. I've gone back and forth a lot with the people at Avery mats... they don't have one for explorer. They are willing to make a custom-mat but they won't guarantee and if it doesn't fit then it's tough luck. I haven't decided to take that plunge because the mats aren't cheap and the color is a little bit off anyways from the charcoal carpet.

I've been looking all over for a T avery T mat, and even when I got an avery vendor to order one they end up refunding me saying they can't obtain an explorer to get the dimensions...(YOU CAN BORROW MINE!) The mentioned above husky looks promising.
I was afraid of the flex one as i doubt the dimensions are exact same between the two cars.

Has anyone found a purchasable good solution for covering this up? Just curious as I want to evaluate all options before getting one. which there seems to be only one at the moment.

i wantthe console and some buckets. i didnt think we did, but after learening the buckets move forward and backwards to allow more room when 3rd row is not in use, we would like to swap someone for buckets and console.

I've been looking all over for a T avery T mat, and even when I got an avery vendor to order one they end up refunding me saying they can't obtain an explorer to get the dimensions...(YOU CAN BORROW MINE!) The mentioned above husky looks promising.
I was afraid of the flex one as i doubt the dimensions are exact same between the two cars.

Has anyone found a purchasable good solution for covering this up? Just curious as I want to evaluate all options before getting one. which there seems to be only one at the moment.

There isn't an Avery one even though it is in the catalog because they didn't have an Explorer with bucket seats available when they did the patterns. Here is their offer (I haven't taken them up on it):

I can add the 14" length and the 12" wide tab to the second row runner and hope it works. However, I cannot claim how well that mat will work. The measurements are for a Flex, not the Explorer. Even thought they look similar, they may be off a bit here and there. Also, the 14" measurement goes to the bracket. With the plastic cover, the 14" measurement will probably be shorter, closer to 11", just my guess. If he wants me to "wing it" and come up with something, I can do that. But, you'll need to know I cannot verify the pattern or swear by it's accuracy. This would be a mat we cannot guarantee it's coverage.

Can you order the console separately from Ford later on if you dont buy it installed?

Can you order the console separately from Ford later on if you dont buy it installed?
Unless something changed recently, the answer would be NO.

Peter

Technically, you can. You have to buy all of the separate parts and assemble it yourself. Last I saw, the parts would run $900+ (yeah, you read that correctly).

Why do you have to hop over the console when the seats fold with the push of a button? Do you have car seats in both buckets in the second row?

I do have car seats in both bucket seats (twins) :).

I ordered the husky 3rd row mat that also comes up between the two bucket seats. there was a group buy in the modified section of the forum and got 40% off, was a great deal. I should have it by the end of the week.

Please update with a picture on how that looks. I'm thinking of just not ordering the console all together.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Please update with a picture on how that looks. I'm thinking of just not ordering the console all together.
Are you talking about ordering a new Explorer with 2nd row buckets and no center console? Keep in mind that the 2nd row buckets do not come with inboard armrests. The console is only a $100 option and you can always remove it if you want but at least you would have one.

Peter

Back