• Register Today It's free!

DIY: Replace Oil Pressure Sensor

yourpalmike

Reaction score
City, State
Alberta
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Explorer Sport 4X4
Whenever I started my 2001 Explorer Sport the oil pressure gauge sat at zero (which is quite scary) until a few minutes later when the gauge jumps up to a normal reading.

Since there was no pinging and my Explorer hadn't exploded I decided it was probably the oil pressure sensor.

Go to FORD to fix it? F-that.

Fix it yourself for $15 and 20 mins of your time:

2339249748_fdb7094ffe_o.jpg

Start by taking the drivers side tire off and peeling back the small upper bit of the rubber wheelwell

2339250022_4373256a00_o.jpg

Look in from the wheel well. This is the culprit with the single white/green wire comming out of it. Start by unplugging the connector.

2338417713_a3486c2e61_o.jpg

Unplug that sucker and unscrew it using a deep socket.

2339251102_dd55b7f7f2_o.jpg

Old and new. Screw it in using your hand first, then tighten with a wrench. Put everything back in reverse order (plug it back in, replace the wheel well, put on your tire, etc.)

2338418115_249de2a003_o.jpg

The gauge pops right up every time you start it up. Problem fixed.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I had this same problem on my V8. The sensor is in about the same location. It was a little tight getting a socket in there, but I used a really long extension.

Great pics.

Waited for nice weather I see. :) Great write-up.

Great write up. Now I can get mine working right.

I had this same problem on my V8. The sensor is in about the same location. It was a little tight getting a socket in there, but I used a really long extension.

Great pics.
Where is it on 99 5.0 Mountaineer? I took a 3 min look during lunch and could not find it.Got a picture?
Thx
Lee

It is real hard/impossible to see unless you look through the drivers fenderwell. It is at the front of the block drivers side.

Pics look good

It is real hard/impossible to see unless you look through the drivers fenderwell. It is at the front of the block drivers side.

Hi,
Could not view the pics at work so I guessit is pretty much the same as the 4.0? I should just remove the wheel, it is in basically the same place ?
Thx
Lee

Thanks!

Thanks so much for the pictures of where this is and how to fix.. I have been needing to do for a while and have just put it off because I wasn't sure where the sensor was, etc.
:salute:

Sensor replaced

Hi,
Sensor was the problem.. Now to Fix the bulbs in the dash, Front Pass. side Door acctuator, Right Rear Door Window motor, and the pinging.
With the pinging 99% goes away 89 Octane gas. I have not changed the plugs or wires inat least 75-80k miles. I got it used from the dealer and they said they replaced them @25k. Could this be the Pinging issue?
Thx
Lee

i didnt know anyone would have the same problem if i went to the auto parts store what is it called , oil pressure sensor? nice write up

Yeah, I think it is officially called "oil pressure sender" but they will know what you are talking about.

Going to do it this weekend mine usually shoots back to normal when i rev the gas if not when it warms up like you said.

Mine is normal when the engine starts, but when I hit the Gas the pressure drops to 0 pressure. Does anyone think simply changing the sensor would fix this?

Hello maybe a dumb question but what did you use on the treads to make a seal? Just want to know so I do not use something that the oil will eat away at. Also can it be used on other areas of the vehicle. Thanks

Hello maybe a dumb question but what did you use on the treads to make a seal? Just want to know so I do not use something that the oil will eat away at. Also can it be used on other areas of the vehicle. Thanks

Its just teflon tape.

I just replaced mine. The unit I bought already had the coating on the threds. It looked like teflon, it was red and seemed thicker, but i thought i read earlier in this forum that a "semi-conductive" style tape should be used.

Now if Ford would have just put an actual gauge in these things I would be happy. My understanding is these "gauges" are nothing more than glorified idiot lights. On and off...that's it. It does nothing to read actual pressure. I actually had to start my new engine with a manual gauge installed so I could see what my actual pressure was.

Now if Ford would have just put an actual gauge in these things I would be happy. My understanding is these "gauges" are nothing more than glorified idiot lights. On and off...that's it. It does nothing to read actual pressure. I actually had to start my new engine with a manual gauge installed so I could see what my actual pressure was.

That is correct. There is a write-up on here somewhere on how to make it an actual real oil gauge.

Excellent Post--Thanks!!

I did it...I am official do-it-yourself-er. Thanks to your posting and the excellent picks, I managed to get the job done and save myself some money. I did have some help though because I could not loosen the sensor myself. I need to work on my muscles I guess :D...thanks again!!! :salute:

Vera

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I did it...I am official do-it-yourself-er. Thanks to your posting and the excellent picks, I managed to get the job done and save myself some money. I did have some help though because I could not loosen the sensor myself. I need to work on my muscles I guess :D...thanks again!!! :salute:

Vera

We'll have you swapping cams and transfer cases in no time-;)

Back