• Register Today It's free!

Airbag code 42?

barrysvt

Reaction score
City, State
Detroit, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Explorer Sport
I am getting an airbag code 42 on my 02 Explorer.

I have tried to unplug and reconnect the yellow connecters under the driver and passenger seats. This does not work. It has been raining for four days, I believe it may be moisture related.

What is this code and how do I fix or clear it?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Driver Side Crash Sensor Mounting Failure

Normal Operation
The driver side crash sensor monitors the severity of a crash event. If the crash event is severe enough, the sensor will signal the restraints control module (RCM) to deploy the driver side air bag.

The RCM monitors the two-wire current loop to the driver side crash sensor for a signal that is out of the expected range. If the RCM detects a signal from the driver side crash sensor, indicating a sensor mounting failure, it will store diagnostic trouble code (DTC) B2441 and flash a lamp fault code (LFC) 42 (or a higher priority code if one exists) on the air bag indicator.

Possible Causes

A driver side crash sensor mounting failure fault can be caused by:
  • damaged driver side crash sensor.
  • corrosion or damage at the sensor mounting surface.

Thanks for the info.
Is this sensor mounted on the radiator?
How do I access it to check it out?

It's behind the trim at the bottom part of the b-pillar.

I have been having a problem with my airbag light coming on for a year now, it blinks i think in sets of 3s for 3 times and stays on...unfortunately I dont think the dealership here in the bahamas know what they are doing. When they hooked the my 02 Explorer XLS to the computer it gave them a code (unfortunately, i dont know what code) but they told me thats the code for the pretensioner (dont know if i am spelling it right). So luckily it was still under warranty and they changed it for me but low and behold the light came on again .....went through the whole process again with the dealership and they tell me they have to replace the same part....IS THAT POSSIBLE or are they diagnosing it wrong? please anyone with any help???

The 3 3 light flash code .....

K: LFC 33/DTC B1933 - Passenger Air Bag Circuit Resistance High

Normal Operation
The Restraints Control Module (RCM) monitors the resistance of the passenger air bag ignitor by measuring the resistance between pins 6 and 7. If the RCM detects high resistance between these pins, it will store a Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) B1933 in memory and flash a Lamp Fault Code (LFC) 33 (or higher priority code if one exists) on the air bag indicator.

Possible Causes
A passenger air bag high resistance can be caused by:

a poor connection or corrosion in the passenger air bag module circuits.
an open circuit or high resistance in the wiring harness.
an open circuit or high resistance in the passenger air bag module.
an RCM internal concern.

Hey Aldive...thanks for you help and information - I have no mechanic knowledge (female driver hehe), so this pretensioner they keep mentioning to me is it BS?

Now that I think about it, they never once asked me the pattern of the blinks nor do I think they ever checked that they were sooo quick to hook it to the computer and check and always told me the same thing.....now i remember the exact words.......they said the code is saying there is an open circuit so they said we have to change the pretensioner!!!!!

I was wrong about the pattern of the air bag light, when I left work today I watched it and it blinks in sets of 3s for 4 times not 3 :-( does that mean its something different?

Thank you

Thank you.
I have a 2002 ford explorer. I found my crash sensor bolt had been broken and the sensor was dangling against the rad. I re-attached the sensor with a 1\4 " bolt and remounted the bracked and the code 42 for my airbag went away. Not sure how the bolt broke though. I bought this unit used with the light on.
Thanks again for the info.

Driver Side Crash Sensor Mounting Failure

Normal Operation
The driver side crash sensor monitors the severity of a crash event. If the crash event is severe enough, the sensor will signal the restraints control module (RCM) to deploy the driver side air bag.

The RCM monitors the two-wire current loop to the driver side crash sensor for a signal that is out of the expected range. If the RCM detects a signal from the driver side crash sensor, indicating a sensor mounting failure, it will store diagnostic trouble code (DTC) B2441 and flash a lamp fault code (LFC) 42 (or a higher priority code if one exists) on the air bag indicator.

Possible Causes

A driver side crash sensor mounting failure fault can be caused by:
  • damaged driver side crash sensor.
  • corrosion or damage at the sensor mounting surface.

So is the sensor for the Code 42 (blinks four times, pause, blinks twice) located on the B-pillar or in the bumper (front and center)?

Just asking as the one in the front bumper is all corroded yet the one in the B-pillar of the vehicle looks brand new.

Also, is it the same part number for either sensor or are they different?

Thanks.

There seems to be much information concerning Light Flash Codes ( LFC ) Keep in mind that LFC'S are only an indicator that tells the operator something is amiss. Its the DTC that is more precise. Yes, one can go to the Front Impact Sensor and have a look at it. And yes it may be corroded or have a bad ground or whatever, BUT if you go and buy another sensor and spend your hard earned dollars on one only to find it does not fix the problem, then......---LFC's coincide with DTC -B codes. B2296 can pertain to LFC 42,43,44,45,and 46. 42 being the Front Impact sensor. 43 is the Driver Side Front Row Impact Sensor. 44 is Passenger Side Front Row Impact Sensor and so on... That does not mean the sensor is faulty. It indicates that the Restraint Control Module (RCM ) is not communicating with the front sensor. WHY? that is what you need to find out. It could be a bad ground, it could be a bad sensor, it could be a dead battery ( or low voltage ), it could be a Front Sensor wire rubbed to ground, a broken wire causing an open circuit, or a bad RCM. Yes, it is nice when we can fix our problems cheaply and easily but, if you do the trial and error method and fail you need to go the distance. That is, to the mechanic, who has the diagnostic tool to read the DTC and pinpoint the problem. If you spend $70 or $80 on a sensor, make sure its the sensor or use that money towards the unwanted route.

Thanks. I had found that link but mine is older and I don't believe it has side air bag sensors in the "B" pillar. Thanks again!

Back