• Register Today It's free!

Transmission Flush

Radeon

Reaction score
City, State
Rust Belt
Year, Model & Trim Level
02 Explorer XLT V6 E
02 Explorers going in for pcm update.Im thinking about a transmission fluid and or filter change.Had a flush at 34k now at 64k.Is it time for a flush or a filter change?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would at least do the fluid and filter change.

What does the owner's manual say? Have you been towing or anything?

Why would i trust the manual?When this was built ford was saying maintenance free for 100k+ and we all know different.

Any how dealer did tranny filter(no flush),gasket,drain plug,6 qts merc5,rotate tires,26? point check and a pcm update.$244 + the goverments strongarm.

For once i dont feel like i took it up the rear from a dealer.

Thanks for respones.

Dunno man, don't trust the manual then. It does have suggestions for transmission maintenance intervals. I think usually people don't adhere to them. Do whatever you want to.

Rock on!

I do, and have done, a filter change every 30k-40k miles on every vehicle we have owned. In that time there has been just one transmission failure and it was a Mountaineer I bought with 112k miles on it. The rest were either new or low mileage vehicles when purchased. IMO, waiting until 100k to change the transmission fluid for any vehicle is more risk than I would take.

Yeah, I hear you. Having had that experience I would be the same no doubt. I get attached to vehicles so when I buy them I tend to research any crappy engineering and make improvements. My old '93 (although needs heads and is parked right now) has over 230 K kms on it's original A4LD trans. I rebuilt the valve body adding improvements from Sonnex, external filter, additional cooler, replaced the governor and vacuum modulator, other than a scary incident with the boy driving it (I am the only driver now) I have had no issues with it.

I have all my parts to do the heads and was going to do it this weekend but the place i was going to do it in is not available. Oh well. It'll get done eventually...

I certainly wouldn't wait until 100K to change the transmission fluid either... that seems double what I would think is reasonable.

I had a '94 Explorer that I bought with low miles and drove it on the original transmission to 200k miles when I sold it. The engine and transmission ran virtually trouble free while I had it. It burned, or leaked, no oil all the time I had it. There were a few things that needed replaced like an alternator, started, front wheel bearing, a new radiator etc. but it was one of the most dependable and trouble free vehicles I have owned. The only one that I think is better is the '89 Mustang I bought new that is still sitting in the garage. In its first 130k miles the only repair I had to do to it was a tie rod end. I started modding it right after that and it still had the original clutch at that point. Considering I beat the heck out of it nearly every time I drove it, that fact it did so well was even more impressive. I tell people all the time that if they want to buy a car that is stone cold reliable then buy a Mustang.

Funny, I had an '87 5.0, that thing never let me down and beat on it too. I broke things, wore out the AOD, put a T5 in it, had it like 17 years, modded the heck out of it and even at the end when it wouldn't idle without touching the gas a bit I would still have driven it across the country without a second thought. The idle issue was my own fault, the B303 cam and other mods were not a good match with the speed density computer.

My Ford Dealer told me that my sealed transmission ('02 XLT 4.0L) is recommended to be flushed at 150K (they hook up at the cooler lines).

I'm at 155K miles now and have never had a problem with the transmission. Should I get it flushed or is it a waste of money ($199) ? I've heard mixed messages on whether or not it should be flushed for the first time with high miles.

Thanks.

If you can't or don't want to tackle it yourself it is a good idea. Of course they will change the filter. I would consider adding an external filter too. That should be able to sell you one and install it if you don't want to. The external ones are able to trap the much finer stuff the pan filter misses.

Kevin512 - I would STRONGLY considering not getting it flushed unless you've had it flushed at regular intervals along the way.

If you're at 155,000 and have never had an issue...don't chance it. I had a tranny flush at around 50,000 miles and didn't do it again until 110,000 miles and that last one was literally my tranny's undoing.

Right after it was flushed at 110,000 it immediately started to slip. 2 months later..it was dead.

At 155,000 miles, why would you start flushing it now? If it is because you'd like to get more miles on it, I think you're pretty much on free time now ;)

If you're at 155k and have never flushed it then I would either...

Drop the pan only, replace filter and fluid.

Or don't do anything and keep driving it.

It's up to you at this point, A flush will do more harm then good. It may even cause the death of your transmission. To be honest I'm not sure if I would drop the pan or just keep trucking. Even dropping the pan at this point may cause trouble. You should have done about 4 or 5 trans services with those miles. You are very lucky that it's help up for this long. If you do decide to drop the pan & do the filter & refill then only use Mercon V trans fluid. Not suitable for Mercon V or compatible with Mercon V, You want Mercon V period.

Thanks for advice, I'll skip the transmission fluid change. The service tech put my VIN number into his computer and it clearly showed 150K. I'm not saying the answer is right, but it is what my dealer is advising. My plan is to replace the Explorer at 225K (when my tires and brakes will need replacing again) or when the next major mechanical failure happens. I was simply trying to extend the life of the transmission so that I might have a chance of getting to 225K. It seems I've been lucky, but so far I've had zero problems with the transmission.

I'm sitting at about 125K miles on my 05 4.6. Do you think it is a bad idea to flush my trans? I have not done it since I've owned it. Got it at 90K.

Or should I just change the filter and fluid and call it a day?

What are your thoughts?

I'm sitting at about 125K miles on my 05 4.6. Do you think it is a bad idea to flush my trans? I have not done it since I've owned it. Got it at 90K.

Or should I just change the filter and fluid and call it a day?

What are your thoughts?

I would start with a filter and fluid change. Do it again in a few thousand miles and see how it is treating you.

The Explorer transmissions all ready have a fairly large magnet in the pan.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back