Transmission is hard to shift into park | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Transmission is hard to shift into park

citation550

Reaction score
City, State
Collierville
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 XLT
I have a 2002 explorer and is very hard to shift into park and when parked on a hill will not come out of park.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Check all of the moving parts of your linkage. If necessary, drop the pan, and test it directly without the linkage cable. Just make sure to have your parking brake on when you take it out of park.

When parked on a hill, apply your e-brake before you let off of your brakes and i bet you dont have that prob anymore

This is my 17 year daughters car and she did take off the brake before shifting into reverse, which is is now aware of, but I did not know if the hard shifting into Park had any thing to do with this problem. You should be able to shift into reverse without the brake I would think.

so its hard to get into park itself? not sure what you are sayin, im sure your explorer has a shift lock mechanism, which requires you to depress the brake to get it out of park. also if you rely on park to hold your vehicle on a hill it will be difficult to get it out of park, but i have no clue why it would be hard to get into park except for a linkage problem.

Yes, it is hard to shift into park after driving ,don't know if the problems are connected.

Transmission Shifting Answer

This is very late given the date of the initial post, but I just starting experienceing the same problem on my '03 Mountaineer. The truck was at the dealer today and they identified the issue as a bad shift motor located within the steering column. $260 labor & parts.

This is very late given the date of the initial post, but I just starting experienceing the same problem on my '03 Mountaineer. The truck was at the dealer today and they identified the issue as a bad shift motor located within the steering column. $260 labor & parts.

There are several more recent posts in here about this issue. The "shift motor" in the steering column is actually called the Brake Shift Interlock. This is a pretty well known issue now and there is even a TSB out which shows how to replace the BSI:
http://www.justanswer.com/uploads/fordguy4u/2009-01-29_143651_TSB_04-22-12.pdf

VERY useful, i have the same problem. I kinda knew it was the brake shift interlock, but was not 100% sure, and did not want to take it the shop and guess...

Thanks!

Here is a service bulletin from Ford

TSB 04-22-12

11/15/04

GEAR SELECTOR LEVER - INCREASED EFFORT TO
SHIFT FROM DRIVE TO PARK

FORD:
2002-2005 Explorer

MERCURY:
2002-2005 Mountaineer

ISSUE

Some 2002-2005 Explorer 4dr/Mountaineer vehicles, may require a greater effort to move the gear selector lever (shift lever) from drive to park. This may be due to a time delay with the brake shift interlock (BSI) pin retraction.

ACTION

To service, replace the BSI switch. Refer to the following Service Procedure.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

1. Remove the two (2) fasteners supporting the instrument panel knee bolster from below the steering column and remove the cover (Figure 1).

2. Remove the three (3) fasteners supporting the steering column lower shroud and remove the cover (Figure 2).

3. Remove the three (3) wiring bundle carrier fasteners from the bottom of the steering column to allow movement while removing the BSI switch. It may be necessary to release the connectors from the multifunction switch (Figure 3).

4. Remove the BSI fasteners (1-30 on the side and 1-20 on the bottom) (Figure 4).

5. Pull the BSI tab on the bottom of the column downward to help free the BSI from the column housing.

6. Break the two (2) side tabs off the BSI by the white wiring connector (Figure 5).

7. Push the locking tab on the white connector towards the wiring to release the connector from the BSI. Be careful not to damage the connector or wiring. If the connector does not free easily, a very small flat screwdriver may be used to help lift the locking tab (Figure 6).

8. Connect the wiring to the new BSI. Ensure all clips are fully engaged to prevent the connector from pulling free.

9. Reinstall the BSI onto the steering column and reinstall fasteners (Figure 7).

10. Check BSI function. With the key in the accessories or run position, press the brake pedal. The BSI pin should retract on brake application, and spring up one (1) second after releasing the brake pedal. Repeat several times.

11. Reinstall fasteners to connect wiring bundle carrier to the steering column. Make sure all connections to the multifunction switch unit are secured properly.

12. Reassemble steering column in reverse order. Ensure rubber gap hider around shift lever is properly seated on the shroud.

13. Cycle the shift lever from park to drive and drive back to park several times to verify improved shift effort.

Back