• Register Today It's free!

Suddenly missing

TestPoint

Reaction score
City, State
Ellijay
Year, Model & Trim Level
'00 5.0 in an '82 Volvo
My '00 Explorer 302 currently residing in a Volvo yesterday started missing. Throwing P0353 'C' coil. Swapped the coil since I had one and same problem. Been reading for the last half hour and there are reports of everything from vacuum leaks to IAC issues to spark plug wires and plugs to wiring harness problems.

Pulled the associated #3 and #6 plugs and they look fine as they should with only 11k miles on them. Engine only has 22k miles. Hate to start with the parts cannon.

What other analysis/diagnoses would the assembled multitude suggest before parts.

Looks like the connector is buggered and that white corrosion looks bad

The resolution of this issue was that the coil had apparently failed and was replaced with a JY coil in my junk drawer. Still had the P0353 code so I did some research on which coil is the 'C' coil. Turns out that the designation is:

A B
C D

While standing in front of the car. I had changed the wrong coil pack. Did the swaps and still had the code. Replaced the spark plug and that seems to have fixed the problem. A careful inspection of the plug did not indicate any visual defects and the color looked 'text book tan'. You only other thing in this problem is the spark plug wire itself. While moved on both ends with the changes nothing indicated that the wire was defective . . . except all is well now.

I believe that I have been driving with a V7.5. Engine vibration has been a come-n-go problem for some time that never lasted long enough to identify as a problem.

Back