M90 rebuild (rudy) | Page 31 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

M90 rebuild (rudy)

well figured i would start a new thread.just a quick background.did the whole build on my explorer but built it using stock head gaskets and head bolts.did it really as a safety net and i just couldnt afford head studs at the time.well to say the least i blew the head gaskets off from it wile i was in the mountains on a forum trip about two years later.

i picked up a 1994 ranger,its got the 4.0 OHV and is a 5 speed 2wd.the plan is to pull the motor out of the explorer and rebuild it.

this thread will basically cover the rebuild and build up of the new ranger.it will basically end up as a street race truck.ive named it Rudy:D:D so let the fun begin.
:burnout::burnout::burnout::burnout::burnout::burnout::burnout::burnout::burnout::burnout::burnout:

UPDATE
new motor specs
BORE: 4" JE asymmetrical pistons (custom over bore)

20141031_163839_zpso5ifzafx.jpg

RODS: 6.058 Manley (longer rod)
20140226_134243_zpsdapxouhk.jpg

VALVES: IN-1.8 EX-1.5 Manley heavy duty (.150 over)
20160527_114556_zpsiohyyelp.jpg

20140515_162402_zpsftg0qlcd.jpg

20160313_161946_zpswgleqayt.jpg

20160318_160734_zpsxxxpuld8.jpg

Transmission:T5 hybrid from a 2006 Mustang and 93 Fox
HEADS: 93TM HEAVILY ported with custom brass guides and copper gaskets/O-ringed with ARP studs
CAM: 422 Comp cams with 988 springs and Toms custom lifters,push rods and 1.7 roller rockers
Complete blueprint and balanced internals
GM M90 supercharged with one 1" intercooler plates with ASP 8 rib belt conversion. .
pushing 16 lbs of boost with small shot of NOS
Running on E50
Dyno tuned by Dyno Tune Performance outa Virginia using SCT

old thread and pic
3800 M90 Build
ported and polished gm 3800 gen 2 m90
Water to air intercooled
port matched 76mm inlet and intake tube
mustang 75mm race tb
90mm maf
36lb injectors
255 fuel pump
sct 5bank dyno tuned
2.7" pulley 10lbs of boost!!;)
2012-06-09201057.jpg

2012-06-09201139-1.jpg

2012-06-09201207.jpg

and the new 1994 ranger 4.0 OHV 5 speed 2WD with 115,000 miles on it.o and i only paid $1,000 for it:shifty_ey
RUDY
IMG952013032295172932_zps77585c66.jpg

FB_IMG_1545061235211.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yea, at this point you are done.
Maybe he just doesn't have the equipment to do the job, and thats really the issue?
Gotta hate it.

Yea he has me by the balls for sure..im sure what he has done is priced out the parts i have there and going to charge me a little less..that way i cant tell him to go buck himself and buy new parts..hes got about $2,000 or more in parts..im soo freaking pissed..if i knew this bs i would have paid the extra $250 and had custom rods made or for bucks sake,i could have hand filed or milled them down for that cost..its not a super accurate procedure,there is some room to play with and extra room doesnt hurt anything. .smaller is ok,bigger isnt

He definitely has the equipment. .i walked his shop

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

price

Maybe he is just over exaggerating the work so when he gives you a smaller bill you will be happy. (trying to look on the bright side).

Maybe he is just over exaggerating the work so when he gives you a smaller bill you will be happy. (trying to look on the bright side).

Mannn i wish..but he has been a dick from the start,shouldve known when it took 3 months for him to even start the work or when he talked trash about it when i first dropped it off..at that time i knew of noone else that could do the work soo had to go with him....just pissed thats all i can say..

He still hasnt called and said they are done yet which he said they shouldve been done yesterday..makes me think its taking even longer..they better be perfect and the bearing better fit also or im not paying

Im tapping into money saved for my new baby,o which i dont know if i told but its a BABY BOY!!!!!

Baby Boy

Congratulations, pretty soon you will have JD Junior!
AKA, new mechanics helper when he gets old enough. lol.

I'm going to join in on the congratulations!!
A mini-JD in the making.

Were all hoping you are wrong about the machine shop issue.

Congratulations, pretty soon you will have JD Junior!
AKA, new mechanics helper when he gets old enough. lol.
Lol cheap labor!!! And thanks,im super excited! !
I'm going to join in on the congratulations!!
A mini-JD in the making.

Were all hoping you are wrong about the machine shop issue.

Thanks,yea im hoping im wrong too..dipping into the baby fund was not the plan..honestly i expected to be done by now

PS.. dont think this world needs another JD..:crazy::bdrunk::smoke::smoke::smoke:

PSS..ive quit smoking and haven't drank in probably 2-3 months...thats where the baby fund came from..lol:):thumbsup:

Quiting

Keep up the good work!
I quit smoking at 29 after doing it for like 14 years. I was up to 2 packs a day of Marlboro Reds. I quit drinking just to quit smoking since drinking usually gets you right back into smoking. For 10 years I did not drink or smoke.
I have not smoked since I quit and will never go back to it. I could not afford it even if I wanted to. When I quit they were 2.75 a pack, I think they are about $8.00 a pack now.

Keep up the good work!
I have not smoked since I quit and will never go back to it.
You didn't mention drinking though........... :D

Drinking

After 10 years I figured I was safe to be able to drink and not want to smoke.
I only drink Captain and Coke, have not had a beer since 1999.

After 10 years I figured I was safe to be able to drink and not want to smoke.
I only drink Captain and Coke, have not had a beer since 1999.

I'm impressed.
Both of you.

Lol yea ill have a drink if we go out for dinner or something. I just dont go out to bars and spend a couple hundred a weekend..hahaha

Ok so the best best best best ...can i sayyyyyyy BEST NEWS EVER....

Just got a call from my local builder, he said the guy outa town with my rods called him and told him my parts are ready..he said the guy had lost my number...

Soooo i call the guy with my rods,he goes into that they are done and too never ever bring him rods again..said the crank came out very good,better than he thought..also said he made a fixture and went into the details of it..

He said he's lost his ass on this job and he's gonna take this job as a ""hard lesson learned "" and that just for the rods it would have came to $980..
^^^^^you catch it...**would have**
He said hes gonna charge me $400 CASH.....FOR IT ALL....YES $400 including the milling of rods and balancing of the crank.....said my local builder talked good about me and i was patient. ...

WWWWWWWOOOOOOOOOO FLIPN HHHHHHHOOOOO

He'll be there till 2 tomorrow. ..im leaving first thing to go get them!!! Motor should be done by end of next week!!!

Beautiful!
Even when you expect the worst from people they can come thru.
4pointslow was right. We are all happy about that.

off topic, but the last time i REALLY drank was when dons motor let loose at the drag strip. true story...

ouch

off topic, but the last time i REALLY drank was when dons motor let loose at the drag strip. true story...

That was a ruff day for both of you wasn't it? Glad that is behind you both.

JD,
hell, fricken, yea!!!!
Glad to hear that everything is done, and that the engine should start going together. AWESOME!

Yea it shouldnt take long at all..my local guy said hes been waiting on parts for awile...he needs to narrow the bearings and slightly turn the crankshaft rod jounals..then bore the block and deck it..once thats done we can go over the copper gaskets thicknesses to decide compression levels. .

he said the machine work wont take a day or two.then depending on how bisy the guy is that makes the gaskets, i could get them back same day..meaning i could be putting the motor back together this weekend..

Biggest thing for motor i still need is my new 78LB injectors,still waiting for my refund to clear from those 62s i returned...trans i still need to get a press or get my buddy to tear that T5 apart and put the new tailshaft on.lastly,im waiting on my chip to get retuned..

Mannnn im getting soooo excited. .this thing could be running in a couple weeks!!:burnout::burnout::burnout::burnout::D:D:biggthump:biggthump:dpchug::dpchug::dpchug::party::party::party::party::popcorn::popcorn:

I officially have my parts..only thing he didnt do was narrow the bearings to match the rods..i gave him two sets because we wasnt sure if i was gonna need the 10 under or 20 under,so he didnt know which ones to narrow..at $400 i wasnt about to *****...

The rods look GOOD..like they came that way,even put a nice bevel back on them.crank looks really good too,if i recall he said he removed like 30-33 grams from it.said he got it to half a gram to perfect balance,again i belive thats what he said.he was showing me so much and throwing so many numbers out...

Im going to drop these parts off monday to my guy and ask him about the bearings. .if its a big deal or gonna take alot of time or money,im gonna do them..i figured i can put the bearings in the rods,mark them with a razor knife.then take them out and cut them to size with a dremel cut off wheel,lastly hand file the edges to remove any lip..hopefully my guys says its no problem and he will do it....

Clock is ticking! !!!

Took and measured my bearings and my rods. Rods come out to be .810 and the bearings .809 so the bearings wont need to be milled.i confirmed this with my local guy to when i dropped the parts off..

Went over the rod jounals on the crank and copper gasket thicknesses. .he said .030 is about as thin as you wanna go for gaskets.when the block is bored and decked,he would call me back to go over the thickness again..

Whithout decking it a .030 gasket would put me at only 9.33:1 so doesn't look like ill getting anywhere near the 11:1 going to see how much he can deck the heads and block safety to see if i can at least get it up to 10.5:1

Called him back and double checked if he has decked the heads..he has not..i explained that i wanted to up my compression by one full point and gasket thicknesses wasnt going to do it..hes CC the heads and they are right around 62 CC,we want to remove about 10cc from it.hes suggested we remove about .030 from the head like we did on my 95tm heads that gained me about half a point (.5:1) and then remove .030 from the block.he said removing from block will gain me more than removing from head..

With .030 copper gaskets and .060 remove from head and block will net me 10.8:1 plenty close enough for me..

Block/head decking

How much does it cost to have a block or head decked anyway?

It is all staring to come together, exiting!

How much does it cost to have a block or head decked anyway?

It is all staring to come together, exiting!

Dont know honestly. Last time when i had my heads decked i had other work done also,spring seats milled and fitted,think he charged me $150..i pay a "cash,valued customer" price though. .hes always been very very fair to me and i feel the reason the outa town guy took care of me..

I know i was $400 into the heads.think he charges me $250 for boring the block and think he said $150 for O-ringing the block, plus cost for copper gaskets ..figure im about $850-1,000 in it with him but its worth every penny for what hes done..

I forget what he said the heads flow but remember the exhaust flowed 88% of what the intake did..he said this is gonna help drastically for super charging. .wanna say the intake did 186@.500

O yea when i told him i was running E50 and wanted to raise compression. ..he kindof chuckled and said ""man your trying to squeeze every drop outta he aint ya""lol:crazy:

Back