Tips for removing broken front sway bar link?? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Tips for removing broken front sway bar link??

Duff Man

Reaction score
City, State
Laurel, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Explorer XLT
I am in the process of replacing my front sway bar links and bushings. I already have the sway bar off the car. The drivers side end link was broken, hence me replacing them, and I cannot seem to get it off the car. The head of the bolt on the end link, above the sway bar, has broken off along with the bushings at the top. I cannot seem to get the rest of the link off since I cannot unscrew the nut since I have nothing to get a grip on so the whole thing just turns. Any tips??

Here are some pictures of what the remaining piece looks like.
3796005680_82a1e82fa3_o.jpg

3795185135_b60fc95e25_o.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

cut it off. If you cut thru the bushing as low as possible the bolt should fall thru. Use a hacksaw or other cutting tool, you will need to cut thru both the bushing and the bolt.

Thats what I was planning on doing, just seeing if anyone had any other tips.

Thanks a bunch

Can't you just hammer it out with a screwdriver?

I tried pounding away at it and it wouldn't budge. I thought I should have been able to but thats why i posted.

I ended up just cutting it off and it worked like a charm. Putting the new ones on was much less effort that getting those crappy old stock pieces off!!!

Can't you just hammer it out with a screwdriver?

That's what I was thinking... Ford revised that sway bar link because the first ones use to snap like toothpicks. I have Duralast sway bar links with energy suspension bushings on mine which has given me great handling. However, I had to drill larger holes in the washers and bushings to make it fit over the larger bolt from Duralast.

Back