Fuel Gauge does not work

mange1234

Reaction score
City, State
Virginia Beach, Virginia
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 Ford Exployer
Hello,

The fuel gauge on my 1993 Ford Explorer, 4 x 4, Pushrod, does not work. The needle stays on Empty with key on or off.

I disconnected the fuel pump-fuel leverl connector and put a megger on the two leads to the level indicator. I the meter set on 200 megs. The reading was 160 megs. The key was off.

I also noticed that the fuel guage needle pegged all the way to the right, or full position.

When I plugged the connector back, the gas gauge needle went back to empty, altho, I know there is about some where over a half tank, since I had topped off the tank and am monitoring the milage.

I also checked the fuse, (no 17) and it was good.

Question is, where do I go from here. I dont want to pull the instrument panel is it is not necessary and there is some other tests I can make.

In addition, I guess I can tell how much fuel is in the tank by taking the mega readings at the connector. But, who wants to crawl under the Suv to do that. And, will that reading be accurate.

I am also thinking of bouncing the back of the Explorer to see if the meter needle moves. Which, I think it should when the fuel level sluches around.

I would appreciate all the help I can get on this.

Also, the good news is, my Explorer is running fine since I repaired the PCM by replacing one of the capacitors. (see previous thread about this)

Thanks,

Mike of Virginia Beach

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If I understand you correctly... You disconnected the sending unit wire from the fuel pump plug and grounded it. When you did that the gauge went to over full?

If that is correct then your gauge cluster and wires are fine. The problem is the sending unit in the tank. Since you will be in the tank, I'd replace the entire assembly..

BTW.. the correct impedance for the sending unit is 22 ohm empty to 145 full (give or take some). That is measures between the sending unit and ground.

~Mark

I too have a non-functioning fuel gauge on our '92 XLT. In my case I'm certain it's the tank level float, and there are numerous references to this problem - and solutions - in this forum. Basically you need to either drop the tank or go in from above and pull the pump/sensor assembly. I have not done either yet, waiting for a free weekend (I'm going to choose the 'drop the tank' method).

I have had this problem on all of the explorers i have driven (all 6 of them, all 91-94) and i actually got one to work. I removed the fuel tank and the fuel pump, and while replacing it with a functioning pump I figured i would check the sending unit. When i did i found a loss of connection of the ground wire for the sending unit going through the lug in the top plate. I clipped the wire on both sides of the plate, drilled a whole through it, spliced in a new piece of wire, sealed up the remainder of the whole with silicone, plugged it up, work the float arm, and viola! Now if only i had taken all this trouble with my daily driver and not my drive once every 12 months play toy.

Hope this helps! COCO.

I recommend, if you need to get to the fuel pump, cut a hole behind the drivers side back seat. Make an "access hatch" search on here for how to do it. It took me about 2 hours to do it. But i N***er rigged the hell out of it. Instead of risking using an angle grinder and making sparks, I used a big screwdriver and a hammer :) I can just weld another piece of metal on top. But dropping the tank is a big PITA

My gauge hasn't worked in about 4 months.....my needle is stuck on empty if it matters. Car runs perfectly fine though. Is my problem any easier to fix?

My gauge hasn't worked in about 4 months.....my needle is stuck on empty if it matters. Car runs perfectly fine though. Is my problem any easier to fix?

That is more of a symptom than a problem. The tests I posted above will lead you to the problem. Once you know the problem we can tell you what meeds to be fixed.

~Mark

If I understand you correctly... You disconnected the sending unit wire from the fuel pump plug and grounded it. When you did that the gauge went to over full?

If that is correct then your gauge cluster and wires are fine. The problem is the sending unit in the tank. Since you will be in the tank, I'd replace the entire assembly..

BTW.. the correct impedance for the sending unit is 22 ohm empty to 145 full (give or take some). That is measures between the sending unit and ground.

~Mark[/QUOT
Yes, that is correct, the gage went all way pass full. and when I plugged connector back, gauge went back to empty.jeez, i hate to pull that gas tank.
May want to live with it unless I develope problems with the fuel pump.

Thanks for the info. No need to pull the gauge for nothing. Just extra work.

I sure do love my Explorer.

Mike in Virginia Beach

That is more of a symptom than a problem. The tests I posted above will lead you to the problem. Once you know the problem we can tell you what meeds to be fixed.

~Mark

Just a thought, someone should do a sticky to kind of diagnose or troubleshoot the fuel gauge issues.

I'm hoping that my little gauge is shot, cause that seems simple to fix. I wanna do your test with the sending unit to figure out how to find my issue, but I don't know what to do.

I googled and searched the forum for just how to troubleshoot this with no luck. Am I missing something? Do I have to drop the tank (or cut a hole) just to test a wire to figure out if it's my gauge?

Just a thought, someone should do a sticky to kind of diagnose or troubleshoot the fuel gauge issues.

I'm hoping that my little gauge is shot, cause that seems simple to fix. I wanna do your test with the sending unit to figure out how to find my issue, but I don't know what to do.

I googled and searched the forum for just how to troubleshoot this with no luck. Am I missing something? Do I have to drop the tank (or cut a hole) just to test a wire to figure out if it's my gauge?

I got the same thing. Fuel gage does not work seems to be a VERY common thing. Seems the most likely problem is the sending unit in the tank.
BUT I would hate to drop the tank or cut a hole in the floor and replace the pump/sending unit to find out it was not the problem. I think it's 99% sending unit in tank but is there an easy way to be sure the gage is good???
Thanks

I think it's 99% sending unit in tank but is there an easy way to be sure the gage is good???
Thanks

Disconnect the plug that is on the top of the tank. Now take the sending unit wire (I don't have a wiring diagram handy so I can't tell you what color it is) and ground it. IF the gauge goes to full then its the sending unit.

I don't "think" you need to lower the tank as long as the spare tire is out and the truck is high enough for you to sit up under there.

~Mark

Disconnect the plug that is on the top of the tank. Now take the sending unit wire (I don't have a wiring diagram handy so I can't tell you what color it is) and ground it. IF the gauge goes to full then its the sending unit.

I don't "think" you need to lower the tank as long as the spare tire is out and the truck is high enough for you to sit up under there.

~Mark

Thanks Mark,
Below is a scan from my Chilton manual. The view shows what seems to be the plug. It looks like a simple ground on #14 would do the trick. I haven't looked under the truck yet but it looks like there is a pretty good lead coming off the unit. Now another concern any problems grounding the wrong wire. I would think not at worst you would engage the fuel pump and should know it rite away as you should hear it. I'm guessing it shouldn't cause any problems as long as you did not unhook any fuel lines or anything like that.

scan0002.jpg

When I pulled the assembly on our 93 the float was full of holes, making it sink. You can get a replacement float. Ground pin 14 and I bet the gauge pegs for you.

Pull the fuel pump fuse to prevent an accidental arc which may blow it if you touch pin 11

One of the earlier posts mentioned an in-line connector in the engine compartment just in front of the firewall on the driver side, and gives the wire colors. One side of the connector has wires from the tank, the other side is to the gauge,. If you measure the resistance from the tank, and it's around 20 ohms, then the sender is electrically ok but the float is on the bottom. That's how I was able to surmise that my sender float is bad. Another post has a part number for a replacement float, but if I'm going to drop the tank I'm going to replace everything so I (hopefully) will never have to do it again.

Fuel Pump and gauge float accessed from the top.

I recommend, if you need to get to the fuel pump, cut a hole behind the drivers side back seat. Make an "access hatch" search on here for how to do it. It took me about 2 hours to do it. But i N***er rigged the hell out of it. Instead of risking using an angle grinder and making sparks, I used a big screwdriver and a hammer :) I can just weld another piece of metal on top. But dropping the tank is a big PITA

After reading many threads on here, I have decided to access the fuel pump and company from the top. Today, I removed the seat and scoped out the area to cut. I was amazed at the excelent shape the floor is in. Could not believe it for a 1993. I guess the truck must have been kept inside.

Anyhooo, I hope the area is correct for my 1993 Explorer, 4 x 4.

I cant put a pic on here because not an elete member. Guess I need to get off the $20.00. Not much for the information I have recieved. And, also, the fun is priceless.

I will post on my Facebook, however. Samuel Clemens. That is the aka I use on Facebook. You will see a blue 1993 Ford Explorer if you have the right Samuel Clemens.

Good luck with your truck. I sure do love my old hoopty. Been working on it all day.

Mike in Virginia Beach.

After reading many threads on here, I have decided to access the fuel pump and company from the top. Today, I removed the seat and scoped out the area to cut. I was amazed at the excelent shape the floor is in. Could not believe it for a 1993. I guess the truck must have been kept inside.

Anyhooo, I hope the area is correct for my 1993 Explorer, 4 x 4.

I cant put a pic on here because not an elete member. Guess I need to get off the $20.00. Not much for the information I have recieved. And, also, the fun is priceless.

I will post on my Facebook, however. Samuel Clemens. That is the aka I use on Facebook. You will see a blue 1993 Ford Explorer if you have the right Samuel Clemens.

Good luck with your truck. I sure do love my old hoopty. Been working on it all day.

Mike in Virginia Beach.

Hmmm don't know why you can't post a pic. I am not a full member and post all the time. I use photo bucket as a host and copy and past from there. You should be able to get it to work. I'd like to see some pics.
Good luck

Posting pics

Hmmm don't know why you can't post a pic. I am not a full member and post all the time. I use photo bucket as a host and copy and past from there. You should be able to get it to work. I'd like to see some pics.
Good luck

Thanks,

I will try to do my homework and post some pics. I am absolutely amazed at the excelent condition of the floor.

Mike

Help with posting phtos on this site.

Good luck

Will you please send me instructions on how you post pic. I have some pics I want to share.

Please post on here, on my facebook (Samuel Clelmens) or send to my email: michaelange@verizon.net.

Thanks,

Mike

Good luck

Will you please send me instructions on how you post pic. I have some pics I want to share.

Please post on here, on my facebook (Samuel Clelmens) or send to my email: michaelange@verizon.net.

Thanks,

Mike

Check this out it mite help some I found this in the New Member Forum it's a video HERE shows you how to post from photo bucket. But it's a little hard to follow. I will try and help wit some tips of my own.

First you have your pic in your computer. Size it now so it will fit better on a web page 640x480 is a good size. Now sign up to http://photobucket.com/ or similar upload your pics to there site. From there copy and past the IMG code rite into your text box. Below the text box hit "Preview Post" it will show you if it worked and you can edit before posting.
Hope I helped a little.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

How do I disconnect the connect on top of pumo,

Thanks Mark,
Below is a scan from my Chilton manual. The view shows what seems to be the plug. It looks like a simple ground on #14 would do the trick. I haven't looked under the truck yet but it looks like there is a pretty good lead coming off the unit. Now another concern any problems grounding the wrong wire. I would think not at worst you would engage the fuel pump and should know it rite away as you should hear it. I'm guessing it shouldn't cause any problems as long as you did not unhook any fuel lines or anything like that.

scan0002.jpg
[/QUOTE

Hello,
Thanks for the pic. How is the connector on top of fuel pump removed. Does it lift straigt up. Do I take a screwdriver and pry it up. I have cut an access hole to get to the pump. And, now, not sure how to disconnet it electrically. Help please.

For some reason, I have a very difficult time disconnetin the duckbill fuel line connectors. Any tips will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again.

Mike in Virginia Beach, Virginia

Back