M90 rebuild (rudy) | Page 17 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

M90 rebuild (rudy)

well figured i would start a new thread.just a quick background.did the whole build on my explorer but built it using stock head gaskets and head bolts.did it really as a safety net and i just couldnt afford head studs at the time.well to say the least i blew the head gaskets off from it wile i was in the mountains on a forum trip about two years later.

i picked up a 1994 ranger,its got the 4.0 OHV and is a 5 speed 2wd.the plan is to pull the motor out of the explorer and rebuild it.

this thread will basically cover the rebuild and build up of the new ranger.it will basically end up as a street race truck.ive named it Rudy:D:D so let the fun begin.
:burnout::burnout::burnout::burnout::burnout::burnout::burnout::burnout::burnout::burnout::burnout:

UPDATE
new motor specs
BORE: 4" JE asymmetrical pistons (custom over bore)

20141031_163839_zpso5ifzafx.jpg

RODS: 6.058 Manley (longer rod)
20140226_134243_zpsdapxouhk.jpg

VALVES: IN-1.8 EX-1.5 Manley heavy duty (.150 over)
20160527_114556_zpsiohyyelp.jpg

20140515_162402_zpsftg0qlcd.jpg

20160313_161946_zpswgleqayt.jpg

20160318_160734_zpsxxxpuld8.jpg

Transmission:T5 hybrid from a 2006 Mustang and 93 Fox
HEADS: 93TM HEAVILY ported with custom brass guides and copper gaskets/O-ringed with ARP studs
CAM: 422 Comp cams with 988 springs and Toms custom lifters,push rods and 1.7 roller rockers
Complete blueprint and balanced internals
GM M90 supercharged with one 1" intercooler plates with ASP 8 rib belt conversion. .
pushing 16 lbs of boost with small shot of NOS
Running on E50
Dyno tuned by Dyno Tune Performance outa Virginia using SCT

old thread and pic
3800 M90 Build
ported and polished gm 3800 gen 2 m90
Water to air intercooled
port matched 76mm inlet and intake tube
mustang 75mm race tb
90mm maf
36lb injectors
255 fuel pump
sct 5bank dyno tuned
2.7" pulley 10lbs of boost!!;)
2012-06-09201057.jpg

2012-06-09201139-1.jpg

2012-06-09201207.jpg

and the new 1994 ranger 4.0 OHV 5 speed 2WD with 115,000 miles on it.o and i only paid $1,000 for it:shifty_ey
RUDY
IMG952013032295172932_zps77585c66.jpg

FB_IMG_1545061235211.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

asymmetrical pistons

Very interesting. The design seems desirable for racing by improving max engine speed performance. I wonder if the pistons run hotter with less total mass to dissipate heat or if the piston top is hotter on the short skirt side than the long skirt side.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Very interesting. The design seems desirable for racing by improving max engine speed performance. I wonder if the pistons run hotter with less total mass to dissipate heat or if the piston top is hotter on the short skirt side than the long skirt side.

That link I posted shows alot of that info

Got the heat exchanger radiator all mounted, came out very good..I had to remove the header panel again to get it to fit and had to trim somethings to get the panel to fit back..it looks alot bigger in the ranger than the explorer.it literally is 2/3 the size of the engine radiator. .lol

I think im going to pull the upper intake off this weekend and do som test fitting.I know im going to have to cut and beat the firewall some..also will give me a chance to change driverside valve cover gaskets. .

Im basically done with mods to save up for the machining cost and recover from the pistons :( may do some body work and bs till then..also think I may drop the rear another 2" and front 3"(free mod)

Any rate time for pictures. .she fit like a glove;)

20140924_175845_zpsv77jejgo.jpg

20140924_175824_zpsyq03kmhn.jpg

20140924_175926_zpsp9kffmju.jpg

20140924_192014_zpsfert0ia0.jpg

Ranger

I like that last picture, it looks real mean!
The heat exchanger looks like it was made to go there, looks like it would be very good at removing the heat from the intercooler system too.
Nice work!

I like that last picture, it looks real mean!
The heat exchanger looks like it was made to go there, looks like it would be very good at removing the heat from the intercooler system too.
Nice work!

Thanks..I was planning on putting it on the driverside but wouldnt fit..its tight for damn sure but it fits perfectly and made sure I spaced it out so nothing is touching the tanks or fins..also its spaced out a couple of inches from the radiator so shouldn't effect it..

It did AWESOME with just one IC so hope it does the same with two IC..its going to be flowing about double what it was for sure..stepping up to that 3/4" I feel is really going to help flow and the pump stress..

Side note JE said about 3-6 weeks for pistons so think im going to take my heads down and have the valves fit, bronze guides, springs fitted, bowl work and machined for copper gaskets. .shouldnt take him but a week or so to get to them and do the work ;) he doesnt wanna touch the block till the pistons come in and I agree

JE just called back..the piston has cleared engineering and didnt see any issues. .the final compression with .040 copper gaskets and a -17.5 dish comes out to be 8.7:1 right around where I want it.I may go a little thicker on the copper gaskets to get it slightly closer to 8.5:1.he has sent the file over to their machine shop in Ohio and if they dont see any problems they will start making the pistons this week..he said they should ship towards the end of next week or early week after..

The price did change and towards a good way...all said and done for asymmetrical pistons, rings, pins and locks, it came to $1,073.57!!!!! Not to bad in my book.....im getting SUPER excited!!!;) think ill take the heads down to the machine shop so he can start on them...or maybe let my bank again gasp for air for a week!!! Lol

Sad part is I still need to get my flywheel, clutch and straight cut gears for my trans!!! Probably another grand or so!!!I am hemorrhaging money!!!!!!!:(

O one last thing...I plan to swap ecm(94 explorer) and rewire my truck for SEFI...I seriously dont want gas sitting around in a cylinder till its time for it!!!!

Wwwwoooooohhhhhooooooooo

They just called back and said they do have 4" cores to make my pistons out of so that extra prototype charge has been dropped! !!!! TOLD you they had one in development! !! So price dropped to $920.57!!!!;);););)

Sfi

Converting from batch injection to sequential fuel injection should make a significant improvement in power and fuel economy. From what I've read the SOHC V6 will not even start with a bad camshaft position sensor because of stale fuel in the cylinders. Switching to SFI and using a corresponding PCM should save you some money on your custom tune.

So JE has 4.0 inch asymmetrical pistons available? I might be interested if flash has surprising sonic test results on his recently purchased SOHC block.

Converting from batch injection to sequential fuel injection should make a significant improvement in power and fuel economy. From what I've read the SOHC V6 will not even start with a bad camshaft position sensor because of stale fuel in the cylinders. Switching to SFI and using a corresponding PCM should save you some money on your custom tune.

So JE has 4.0 inch asymmetrical pistons available? I might be interested if flash has surprising sonic test results on his recently purchased SOHC block.

Yea I really didnt know much about batch fire but thanks to this forum it has scared me to death. ..be my luck it would detonate and destroy my engine and not because I pushed it to far..im definitely doing my research and planning on changing. .

Yep..they do carry 4" cores now in the asymmetrical design and can make them to ANY spec you want..I cant say enough about how helpful Henry (4219) was at JE, he has made a couple other pistons in older sytle for people over on RPS .I would almost say they are going to be making a even larger one soon depending on how the LS market takes to the 4"..typically those style pistons were designed for higher rpms and boosted applications but now those LS are turning crazy numbers and everyone is throwing boost onto them making crazy numbers the market has grown..

Im interested in the sonic results also..I think we are about to turn the 4.0 power sene back ON!!!the 4.0 has always been a good motor just needed someone to push it :salute:

Keep us updated(Or at least me ;) ) about the batch fire to sequential conversion. I've been thinking about doing it on my 92 for a little while but haven't looked into it much, too busy with other things.

Benjam :D

Keep us updated(Or at least me ;) ) about the batch fire to sequential conversion. I've been thinking about doing it on my 92 for a little while but haven't looked into it much, too busy with other things.

I pretty much have an idea what im going to do..just need to find out on a 94 explorer which injector goes to what pin number..thats the only part I cant figure out.:(

I might be able to help you out. Give me a sec here..

benjam :D

Pm me an email address JD

You've got mail ;)

So I got tired of waiting and decided to throw the charger on...let me just start by saying the ranger engine bay is much smaller than the explorers. .no way in hell will it clear with both intercoolers on and this hood...I may get a different cowl hood in the future and put the second ic back on with the new motor..

Also this things sits sooooo much closer to the firewall. ..the firewall had to be cut and beat back about 3"!!!!! Now the problem comes to the windshield wiper arm, it appears its going to hit my manifold tube so I may be running with only one windshield wiper.not a huge deal as I dont do much driving in the rain and still will have the driveside wiper..

Im putting the bigger 3.2 pulley on, should give me around 6lbs..im also using stock injectors and stock maf with NO tune for now....

Should have it wrapped up tomorrow hopefully. ....

20141011_182846_zpselhgvqs5.jpg

20141011_182808_zpslnep2gsp.jpg

20141011_182826_zpsxfltrxcu.jpg

Sorry about all that 'clearancing'.
Wow, I thought the explorer engine bays were small.

Back