2005 Ford Explorer: 4.0L SOHC - cam/crank timing marks | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2005 Ford Explorer: 4.0L SOHC - cam/crank timing marks

LambsTech16

Reaction score
City, State
Austin, TX
I recently did head gaskets on a 2005 Ford Explorer equipped with the SOHC 4.0L Flex Fuel engine. I don't work at Ford so I don't have the special tools for this particular job. I put the cams/crank back how they were removed and got the truck running, but it's running piss poor due to cam/crank timing. I've called the 3 Ford dealerships here in town and they all send me the same information dealing with the use of special tools. Seeing as how I don't have those tools, I've also searched the internet numerous times with numerous search criteria and came up with pretty much nothing. UNTIL I found this forum.

Basically, I'm asking if there is anybody out there that knows where the crank should be set and also where to position the camshafts for correct timing. Is the 0 degree, 10 degree markings on the crank even useful?

All help is greatly appreciated, I'd really like to get this truck out of here and make the customer happy. Thanks again

Steven
Lamb's 16

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The way to time this engine is to take out the plugs and rotate the engine till you feel compression on no 1 spark plug hole- stick your finger on the end, as it rises you will feel pressure- look at the timing marks on the front, when it lines up on TDC its correct. The tools you refer to are unigue as far as I know and are deigned to lock engine and stop rotation. Please do not run the engine again till you have this set up as you run the risk of wrecking it big time!
I hope this helps- let us know how you get on please.

Also double check your plug leads are in the correct position, It is so easy to get this wrong and have poor running problems- This forum is the best place for real results as far as our cars are concerned, I am sure you will all the info you need here mate.

ive been looking for timing marks on the front since i started this job...can you point me to where they are?

re-timed and everything is ok...test drive monday morning

thanks guys for all the help

Glad to be of help, hope I never flooded you with pms. Its a nasty car to do the timing on, I long for the days when all you had to do was twist a distibuter a little with a timing light- I am an old school guy who cut my teeth on dwell angles, and ignition bits- Hell I remember b4 electronic ignition!
Hmmmm the good ol days!

next time i get any kind of timing issue with this motor, ill know what to do...just like the northstar v8 oil pan gaskets...such a pain, but easy once youve done it

Good on you mate, brave man with a big will!
Not many would attempt that without the locking tools- well done

hey how are u guys? i was just wondering what procedure u used to get your cam timing on your explorer without the special service tool...we have the engine on TDC no.1, our problem is just lining up the camshafts...we have replaced the FRONT chains and guides only, so any help given would be very much appreciated...thanks guys

found tool on line for 160 at network tool ware house

Can you let me know how to time cams? please

I recently did head gaskets on a 2005 Ford Explorer equipped with the SOHC 4.0L Flex Fuel engine. I don't work at Ford so I don't have the special tools for this particular job. I put the cams/crank back how they were removed and got the truck running, but it's running piss poor due to cam/crank timing. I've called the 3 Ford dealerships here in town and they all send me the same information dealing with the use of special tools. Seeing as how I don't have those tools, I've also searched the internet numerous times with numerous search criteria and came up with pretty much nothing. UNTIL I found this forum.

Basically, I'm asking if there is anybody out there that knows where the crank should be set and also where to position the camshafts for correct timing. Is the 0 degree, 10 degree markings on the crank even useful?

All help is greatly appreciated, I'd really like to get this truck out of here and make the customer happy. Thanks again

Steven
Lamb's 16

Can someone please send me a picture of the timing marks on the primary chains cause I have to change all of the chain guides and the cassette guids please help me....

Back