• Register Today It's free!

non starter

Stumpy33

Reaction score
City, State
fowey,cornwall
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 explorer v6 4.0sohc
Hi all. I am having starting problems with my Ex. By that I mean it wont start at all. I am not getting a spark or any fuel to the engine. I have changed the coil pack,run the gauntlet of checking fuses,relays,fuel shut off switch etc.I am pretty sure it is not an immobiliser problem because the engine will happily turn over.
The only other thing I can think of is the ecu/pcm. I believe that this controls the fuel pump and ignition etc.
My question is....does anybody have a pcm or ecu kicking around that they want rid of? My Ex is a 98 ( R ) 4.0 V6.
Failing an ecu,does anybody have any other tricks that I can try to get my Ex running again.
many thanks
Ian

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Try pulling the electrical connector off the crankshaft position sensor a few times.

Hi all. I am having starting problems with my Ex. By that I mean it wont start at all. I am not getting a spark or any fuel to the engine. I have changed the coil pack,run the gauntlet of checking fuses,relays,fuel shut off switch etc.I am pretty sure it is not an immobiliser problem because the engine will happily turn over.
The only other thing I can think of is the ecu/pcm. I believe that this controls the fuel pump and ignition etc.
My question is....does anybody have a pcm or ecu kicking around that they want rid of? My Ex is a 98 ( R ) 4.0 V6.
Failing an ecu,does anybody have any other tricks that I can try to get my Ex running again.
many thanks
Ian
Its your ECM/PCM ground. Happened to my truck

Thank you Kevin and L.A.X . I will try both of those suggestions when I get home from work. I just knew it would be something simple like a connection somewhere,maybe.Will let you know later.

No luck,guys. Although I did discover a couple of things.The ecu wasnt where I thought it was.I believed that it was in the passenger footwell ( uk,right hand drive vehicle ).I found the airbag control box instead. I also discovered about an inch of water that the wires to this were sitting in. Just forward of the seat runners.
Continuing my search in the engine bay I found the ecu ( passenger side bulkhead ) .
I disconnected it,gave it a blast of electrical cleaner and reinstalled it. I now have fuel to the engine and can hear the relays clicking. But still no spark.

L.A.X.....the earth you mentioned...is it the one coming out of the harness of wires going to the ecu.It is located just to the left of the ecu? as you view the vehicle from the front.
The other thing I found was that...looking at the pins in the ecu...bottom row right of the fixing bolt..there are two pins " squashed " together which go into ONE hole in the piece that bolts onto the ecu.I take it that this is not normal.What do these two pins do?
Sorry for all the questions,but as you will all understand,I want my Ex back on the road.
Ian

One button remote? Could be immob problems. Try locking up then unlocking with the fob right next to o/s/r wheel arch.

also CPS failure will give no spark condition.

Thanks,Janolsson. I am pretty sure that this an ecu/pcm problem now. I tested the ignition system with an LED kit I borrowed from my local garage.There is definitely no power to the system,and now no fuel either.
I can check the CPS,I think I have another one kicking around.When I bought the vehicle the guy gave me a shed load of spare parts ( he used to have three Explorers ). I have spare harnesses,prop shafts,a mutlitude of switches,wishbones,3 sets of wheels and tyres etc.
I have ruled out immobiliser probs ( I have two of them spare aswel ) due to the engine happily turning over. My last theory is that with the recent monsoon rain we had water has somehow got into the electrics.The vehicle started fine one day,I moved it about ten feet to replace the front discs.The next day was when it refused to start again. I will send the ecu away to be tested,and go from there.Wont hurt to rule that out of the equation.

Its your ECM/PCM ground. Happened to my truck

Is this the earth pin inside the pcm/ecu? Or is there a proper looking earth cable somewhere behind the bulkhead??

Back