92 4x4 explorer major gas smell, SOLVED. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

92 4x4 explorer major gas smell, SOLVED.

pony4896

Reaction score
City, State
Fayetteville, arkansas
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 Explorer 4x4
Hi everyone. Thanks for looking, and here is my question. Over the past week i have been noticeing an increasingly intense smell of raw fuel which has now become unbearable while driving. This is my only transportation at the moment and i use it daily. 151, 000 miles 1992 Explorer 4x4 4.0 completely stock. I did some research on here and it sounds like (forums wise) that it could be my evap canister solinoid and or the evap canister. The strongest smell of fuel is coming from directly under the driver-side door were the fuel lines run. This intense smell is permiating into the cab and is making me sick. I have gotten under the rig and looked with a flashlight over and over after each time that i drive and i can see NO visible leaks what-so-ever? I did notice that directly under the drivers side door and in route with one of the three metal fuel lines that run into the engine bay, the top metal fuel line has a section of rubber fuel hose connecting the rear fuel line with the engine bay fuel line. Again this is the upper line in paralell horizontal running order. This rubber fuel hose is very corroded, weathered, cracks are present, its twisted, and is sucked in and or collapsed in onto itself in one section of it. This rubber piece is about 3 inch's long. While i followed this line i have found that it leads to the Evap canister and solinoid. I will be replaceing this rubber hose and the solinoid tomorrow morning. I do not have the tools needed to test the solinoid nd advanced auto parts says they dont test that part, so i guess i will just throw money at the problem. I have noticed that since the on-set of this gas smell when i put the explorer under load "going up a hill while driveing" there is a audible slight pinging sound like valves loose, or some sort of faulty gas detonation going on???? Also this is coensideing with an unusual and slight but obvious difference in the shifting while going up hills or under a load which follows the pinging sound. Almost as if it goes into overdrive at the most in-oprotune times such as going up a hill... Not sure if this is all connected, more than likely not as i have owned this explorer for under a year and every two weeks i get a new and out of the blue issue going on that is requiring me to spoon it some-mo-money.. I am a 34 year old FORD lover and have owned FORDS since my first vehicle which was a 1968 GT 500 shelby mustang Clone. I have owned a 1967 galaxie 500, three old ford pickup trucks, and 82 mustang gt t-tops, ect... BUT NEVER HAVE I DEALT WITH SUCH A MONEY PIT IN MY LIFE!!! LoL.. I have owned it for under a year and already sunk at least $2,500 into it, and all on little s@$% about every other week its a sensor, solinoids, battery, battery cables, MAF sensor, fuel pressure regulator, tires,fuel injectors, ect ect. This thing wants to die i think. Is it begging me or what guys?? Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Oh yea i also replaced the cat convertors and oxy sensors, air filter, fuel filter, my 4x4 bearing are needing to be re-packed and the guy who owned it before me did a ranshackle brake job the front and broke off the safety clips so one of my rotors is toast from the pad rubbing on it constantly. Oh yea, and im just starting to get a very loud POP sound while turning a sharp left, not to mention while traveling over bumps in the road i get what sounds like marbles bouncing around "4x4 bearings??" Idk.

Ive nicknamed it "The polished Turd". This is due to the fact that literaly there is not a dent or scratch on it and the paint job looks as it did when it was new. Obviously it was garage kept and looks like a cream-puff. To bad its such a turd though. Its making me a broke man real quick.

I kinda gave up trying to read it half way through the first post..... but as long as you are checking things, check carefully for exhaust leaks.

I do not have the tools needed to test the solinoid nd advanced auto parts says they dont test that part, so i guess i will just throw money at the problem.
Do you have a paper clip or other jumper wire? If you do, and you are willing to put your mouth on the hose going to the solenoid (personally, I preferred to use a cheap hand vacuum pump), then you have the tools necessary to test the CANP solenoid. A multimeter would be very helpful so you can see the exectrical state of the circuit.
step 1) Enter output state test mode of the KOEO EEC-IV test (see stickies in the EEC-IV forum)
step 2) While blowing through the solenoid, press the throttle (which opens and closes the solenoid). If the solenoid works (and the computer is able to command the solenoid to open), then you'll be able to tell when the solenoid opens and closes.
step 3) If it isn't opening, use DVOM (12 VDC mode) and backprobe the CANP circuit. You should be able to see the circuit change from 12V to 0V as the computer opens and closes the solenoid.

If you don't have a DVOM, then I would strongly recommend you get one, if you intend to DIY your own diagnoses on these newer vehicle. You could probably get away without one for those old '60's era cars, but not these newer ones.

This rubber fuel hose is very corroded, weathered, cracks are present, its twisted, and is sucked in and or collapsed in onto itself in one section of it. This rubber piece is about 3 inch's long. While i followed this line i have found that it leads to the Evap canister and solinoid.
I wouldn't be completely surprised if the collapsed hose is the whole problem. However, my experience with blocked EVAP systems is that they don't usually smell so bad that it makes one sick. I would recommend you more carefully inspect the supply and return lines for leaks. One place that has been complained about is right on top of the tank, where the lines rust through where they come out of the tank. They may be leaking, but the gas is staying pooled on top of the tank rather than draining off. Don't forget the possibility of a leak on top of the motor, where the gas may puddle in the valleys rather than drain off.

Do you have a fuel pressure gauge (another diagnosis tool that I would consider near essential in diagnosing a modern fuel injected engine)? If so, hook it up and see if the fuel system can hold pressure. If it can't hold pressure, that suggests the possibility of a leak upstream of the fuel rail.

I have noticed that since the on-set of this gas smell when i put the explorer under load "going up a hill while driveing" there is a audible slight pinging sound like valves loose, or some sort of faulty gas detonation going on????
This pinging or detonation is common on these. Often the result of a dirty MAF or a small vacuum leak (lower intake manifold gasket bolts often come loose). Put engine ping or something like that into this site's search engine, because this gets discussed a lot. Be sure to browse the useful threads forum, because I'm pretty sure it is discussed in there.

Some thing to think about. This only happens when i fill up the gas tank. The gas smell gets noticeably improved as the gas level goes down. Also i must have a pin-hole in my gas float because the gauge likes to wander around aimlesly and never shows me the correct amount in the tank. I decided not to switch out the solinoid that controls the gas vapors comeing out of the charcoal canister. I did a test using a 9v battery and i can here the solinoid engaging or actuating. So im guessing its fine. One thing that happened recently while i just changed out my alternator was i had to take off the black hard plastic breather tube that connects from the MAF/aircleaner area to the throttlebody. After i changed out the alternator i put it all back together and drove like a mile and all of the sudden my throttle was stuck open at like 3000RPM. I pulled over and shut the vehicle down, thought about what i had just worked on and began reversing the procedure till i came across the issue. After taking off the breather tube as mentioned before, i noticed that there is a rubber gasket of sorts that kind of sleeves into the tubes hole and sits just before the opening into the throttle body. This rubber gasket was deteriorated and a large piece of it had become jammed into the throttle body opening under vaccume. This was the cause of the issue with the throttle stuck wide open. I have since removed this rubber gasket and tightened the breather hose back down till i can locate another breather hose at a junkyard. Could this be the reason behind the raw fuel smell? This happened just slightly before the issue with the gas vapors started, about a week before.

Some thing to think about. This only happens when i fill up the gas tank. The gas smell gets noticeably improved as the gas level goes down.

Are you topping it off when you fill up? If so, the smell/fumes might be from thr return/vent line of filler neck. You would need to look closely there for any leak. If it isn't happening at 1/2 to 1/4 tank, then you are probably OK on the canister, although I'd replace the collapsed hose first.

Replaced the 3" piece of rubber hose that was connecting the metal vapor fuel lines that run to the Evaporation Canister and so far NO MORE GAS SMELL!! It just amazes me at how much of a fuel smell i was getting off of that little tiny section of corroded rubber hose who would of thought? At any rate i am pleased that i only had to go to AutoZone and the little 1/4x3" long piece of rubber hose was given to me as a freebee from there scrap... Thanks AutoZone, and thanks to all of you who commented on my post.:) I also ran by the FORD dealership and a salvage yard trying to locate the rubber gasket type thing that i need to replace the corroded worn out one that sits in between my throttle body and the intake breather hose, but unfortunatly neither of them had that. The FORD dealership did on the other hand have the entire replacement BreatherTube at a tune of $140.00 buckaroonies. I told him i guess i will just have to McGiver it somehow cause i aint gonna give that much when all i needed was the rubber gasket part. Anyone have any ideas? This is the rubber seal/gasket type thing that when you install the black breather hose to the throttle body assures that no dust or depree gets into the intake. Thanks again :salute:

If you’re talking about the gasket that is one the hard plastic air tube that runs from the air box and MAF to the throttle body then I would got to say Auto zone or some parts house like that and pick up a cold air gasket? Flex connector of the right size for you need and use it. After all what is a cold air intake pipe? It is an air duct from the MAF and air intake to the throttle body also. If not then I guess I do not under stand what part you’re in need of.

Thanks everyone.

im starting to hate my x. damn thing takes more money from me than my girlfriend does...ha. one thing after another. mine green and my gf named it the golddigger lol. i have the same fuel smell, but mine is comeing from the top of the gas tank and a see a small leak rolling down the tank. it only leaks when the truck is running too.

not sure if you have done it b4 but how hard is it to drop the x gas tank?

Im sorry to here, and boy howdy can i freakin relate!!

Backfrmcolorado, I can so relate to all your frustrations with your Xploder. I have been a member of several Ford Forums through the years " Ford Muscle" All Ford Forums" ect, and i have came to the conclusion that this Explorer/Ranger specific forums is by far the best one as far as giving detailed problems solving ect... Furthermore I have concluded that the entire reason it is "the best" is most likely due to the fact that Explorer owners, which includes "me", have quite possibly fallen into Ford Twilight Zone. The shear number of issues people are having with these Exlorers is what makes this forum so helpfull. Its like a puzzle.... Keeps people addicted to tracking down issues. Ive turned into a virtual mechanic since ive owned mine which i suppose is the Up-Side, the Down side being Explorers are expensive to say the least! Strange thing is, and i mean this although i cant for the life of me figure out why, i still like the damn thing.... Go figure.:rolleyes:

im starting to hate my x. damn thing takes more money from me than my girlfriend does...ha. one thing after another. mine green and my gf named it the golddigger lol. i have the same fuel smell, but mine is comeing from the top of the gas tank and a see a small leak rolling down the tank. it only leaks when the truck is running too.

not sure if you have done it b4 but how hard is it to drop the x gas tank?

I know this thread a little old but this may help someone.

http://www.explorerforum.com/Singleton/web/pages/fuelpump1.html

Back