Location of blower motor resistor

Chisago Richard

Reaction score
City, State
Cisago City MN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 xlt
Hi, I am having problems with the blower fan on my 2002 Explorer. I have
lost all but the hi speed. Based on other posts it appears to be the blower resistor. Where is this located on a 2002. I did switch the fan relay with another to rule that out. Any help is appreciated.

Thank you ! Chisago Richard

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

On an '02 the resister is right behind the 4X4 Control Module. Open the glove box and squeeze the sides of the box in. It will drop down out of the way. You will see the 4X4 CM and it is well marked (assuming you have a 4X4 rig). The resister is the thing with an electrical connector almost directly behind the module. Before removing anything unhook the battery ground clamp. I can't remember for sure if you need to remove the 4X4 module to get the resister out. If so, the 4X4 module can be removed by undoing the one screw that comes up from the bottom on the bracket it is mounted to. No need to undo the two screws that hold it to the bracket. Undo the connector on the resister and remove the screws that hold it in place. Good luck, let us know how you make out.

Thanks for your answer on the blower resistor location. It was dead on.
It was an easy fix. Chisago Richard

Resistor Location

Thanks for the information; it saved me from taking my Explorer to the dealership. Have a great New Year....

Sorry about resurrecting an old thread here, but I need to verify the location of this resistor. Have an '02 All Wheel Drive Mountaineer. The resistor is going to be behind the glovebox, behind the 4X4 module, correct? Thanks in advance for your help.

Todd (ovalboy)
Cincinnati, Ohio

Sorry about resurrecting an old thread here, but I need to verify the location of this resistor. Have an '02 All Wheel Drive Mountaineer. The resistor is going to be behind the glovebox, behind the 4X4 module, correct? Thanks in advance for your help.

Todd (ovalboy)
Cincinnati, Ohio

If you have AWD and dual automatic temperature control you won't have either a 4X4 module or blower motor resistor. What problem does your's have and is it DATC?

The problem is the fan only works on on 'high'. The Ford dealer and all of the local FLAPS say it's the resistor and offer a schematic to show where this resistor is, but it isn't there.

The Mountaineer is AWD, but does nor have DATC.

I just dropped my glovebox down and snapped this pic through the opening. You can see the connector for the blower motor resistor with 4 wires in the left center of the pic. Pull the connector off and take out the two screws holding the resistor in place.

IMG_0994-1.jpg

I thought all the Mountys had DATC. Good luck.

I just dropped my glovebox down and snapped this pic through the opening. You can see the connector for the blower motor resistor with 4 wires in the left center of the pic. Pull the connector off and take out the two screws holding the resistor in place.

I thought all the Mountys had DATC. Good luck.

Thanks for your help and the extra effort. There'll be a little something extra in your stocking on Christmas Morning.

Todd

IMG_0994-1.jpg

Well, that's not it. The Mounty is actually my brother's. I'm just trying to get this figured out for him. You said if it has DATC that it will not have a resistor, correct? If so, then what would be the cause? I sent the picture to my brother and he said it looks nothing like that behind his glovebox. He said there's a panel about 2.5" x 4.5" with about 8 connectors coming out of it, but nothing that looks like what you posted.

I really appreciate the help.

Well, that's not it. The Mounty is actually my brother's. I'm just trying to get this figured out for him. You said if it has DATC that it will not have a resistor, correct? If so, then what would be the cause? I sent the picture to my brother and he said it looks nothing like that behind his glovebox. He said there's a panel about 2.5" x 4.5" with about 8 connectors coming out of it, but nothing that looks like what you posted.

I really appreciate the help.

OK, with the DATC system the fan speed is controlled by, ta da, the Blower Motor Speed Control. Drop the glove box down out of the way and look slightly left.
WindowClipping.jpg

If your bro puts in a new one and it doesn't last very long it's probably because the blower motor itself is out of spec though.

Thank You, Thank You, Thank You !! We'll give that a shot. Finally it's not the dealer or FLAPS saying "here's where it is" and then it's not there. We now have another place to look. Thanks!

Well, that didn't do it. Replaced the blower motor speed control, and it's still only blowing on high. We're going to try un-hooking it, un-hook the battery, then hook it all up again and see if that works... kinda like a re-boot.

If that doesn't work, what would you suggest?

Well, that didn't do it. Replaced the blower motor speed control, and it's still only blowing on high. We're going to try un-hooking it, un-hook the battery, then hook it all up again and see if that works... kinda like a re-boot.

If that doesn't work, what would you suggest?

Sorry to hear it didn't work for you. That's usually the culprit. I suggest you get it properly diagnosed rather than throw more parts at it now. My hunch is it's probably the DATC module that is bad, but they are expensive. Here's a link for what they cost from directfordparts:

Let us know what you find out.

Ovalboy.................did ya have any luck?

I have a 2002 4x4 Limited that has the fan stuck on high whenever the key is on. The area behind my glove box looks nothing like the picture, and I can find nothing in that area that has a connector that looks like the oval, four blade, male connector that would be needed to hook up the blower resistor I got at the dealer. The dealer service manager could NOT find a diagram that showed where the resistor is!!!!

Let me know if you have found anything, please.
Thanks!

Ripper7, no luck yet. Look about 5 posts up from rrgone and see if that schematic looks anything like what you've got. We went through the same thing with the dealers in our area, but rrgone was able to come up with the schematic that is exactly what we have. I'll let everyone know what we find out.

I'll look at the schematic closer to see if it matches my layout. I looked at the cost of those units.....yikes! I was hoping you had found a solution that was NOT as expensive.....lol!

Thanks for the post, I appreciate it. And please do post if you do get it resolved. I can drive around in winter with the fan on high, so I can wait awhile.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

OK, with the DATC system the fan speed is controlled by, ta da, the Blower Motor Speed Control. Drop the glove box down out of the way and look slightly left.

I wanted to re-post and thank you. I FINALLY got a parts guy who took the trouble to use my Vin #'s to get the right part. Some models use the Blower Resistor and some use the Blower Motor Speed Control unit, just like you said. Mine needed the Speed Control Unit you have pictured. I exchanged the blower resistor, which I was sold originally, for the speed control unit and it was a one screw r&r install. The fan now works when it should, not ON constantly. The unit was only $55.

Thanks for taking the time to post. For anyone reading this in the future, give the parts guy your last 8 digits of your vin # so he can get you the right part.

Gotta love the internet!!!!

Back