Muffler Data | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Muffler Data

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I want to upgrade my exhaust system what size pipe and what brand u recommend for my 4.0

I want to upgrade my exhaust system what size pipe and what brand u recommend for my 4.0

seems like 2.5" pipe with flowmaster 40 series is popular

i love the sound of the borla xr-1 but on borla's website they have XR-1® Sportsman Racing Mufflers and XR-1® Multi-core Racing Mufflers what would be the best one for my 4.0 2002 Explorer??

honestly, i went the whole flowmaster super 40 route....i didnt really car for how it made my truck sound. granted its only a 4.0 so its different then i expected. what i did find and love to death is the cat-back system that magnaflow makes. its pretty aggressive but not so over bearing

what about a pypes m80 muffler on a 4.0. sounds pretty nasty

I have and 05 Eddie V8 and i went with a Magnaflow Part #12286, its the same muffler they use in their cat-back system. I love the sound, it mellow and not obnoxious, but when you get on it it comes to life.

EDIT* It drones a little between 1700-2000RPM, which is where most driving takes place around the city and then at cruising around 70MPH. I heard that after 1K miles it should quiet down a little, but I',m over 3k driven now and its still there.

have to redo the system anyway, there is a leak and a few broken hangers. Picked up a 2.5" 304 stainless tube and will add a long glasspack in front of the muffler, I have 3 exhaust guys telling me that will take care of the drone. Anyone want to chime in before I jump?

DynoMax Ultra-Flo

Back