Transmission died. avoid TCI parts like they are the plauge. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Transmission died. avoid TCI parts like they are the plauge.

zerodevil

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Anchorage, AK
Year, Model & Trim Level
2008 White Limited V8
As some of you may know, two years ago my transmission finally bit the dust from servo pin wear. And i decided to go for broke on the rebuild. I spent over $3,000. I got a $1,000 2,800 rpm stall converter, TCI quick release servo's, TCI HARDENED input shaft, an extra deep trans pan from performance automatic(this one was worth it, very nice). ect ect. Last Friday i was out tearing up the streets with my friends, when the trans shifted into 3rd gear, and just destroyed the input shaft...My factory original transmission lasted me over 140,000 miles, putting up with similar abuse, but this TCI "upgrade" made it a little less than two years, and less than 15,000 miles... most of those miles highway. Do yourself a favor and avoid TCI transmission parts..I downgraded my transmission with their parts and will be paying a $2,000 lesson.

This just reenforces my choice to go with a 6r80 on the powerbuild. the 5r55 is just not strong enough for the V8.

best wishes folks, I just wanted to share.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

are going to swap to a 6r80? It would be really cool to watch cause it seems like a well set up tranny. It just don't like how there is no 1:1... But do like the dual O/D

I am planning on swapping to the 6r80 as part of my build up. It seems that when upgraded the 6r80 can take a lot of abuse.. I figure if people are using it successfully in 700 whp raptors that it should hold in a daily driver ready 500 whp explorer.. Im also swapping to the 3v motor. It will make the electrical side of the swap much simpler.

I am going by memory here but i thought the second overdrive gear in the 6r80 was actually greater than 1:1?

No there are two over drive gears (meaning 2 ratio's lower (meaning output side) of 1:1 ex 1:0.75 and 1:0.50)

What I was saying is that in the GM 4l60e (65e, 80e also) third gear ("3" for shifter) is direct 1:1. It hooks the crank right to the drive shaft. It is the strongest gear in a 4 speed GM tranny, because there is no "gear" Its just a strong clutch hooking crank to drive-shaft. This is great for towing because minimal heat is made as it loves to lock the torque converter.

Ford also did this. Only its 4th gear. D with O/D off. That is direct 1:1 motor crank straight to drive-shaft.

With gm and fords new 6 speeds there is no longer a 1:1 gear ratio available. Many people who know their stuff and tow were not thrilled about it when the transmissions were released...

I see, no more straight through gear. It doesn't look like the 6r80 comes even close. I wonder why they decided that a 1:1 gear wouldn't be included... wasn't this trans co-created with GM? I remember hearing that the new 6L80 and 6R80 were basically the same trans.

correction, its based off of a German transmission...and we all know how the Germans just HAVE to be different lol. I actually feel a little better knowing Germany had a part in its design. They have been making excellent machines for a very very long time

Hey stranger! Bummer to hear about the transmission because as you may remember, I'm torn between keeping the Explorer or getting something else. If I keep it, I'll go ahead with all the "mods" I wanted to do but not sure. Good to see you're still around.

I see, no more straight through gear. It doesn't look like the 6r80 comes even close. I wonder why they decided that a 1:1 gear wouldn't be included... wasn't this trans co-created with GM? I remember hearing that the new 6L80 and 6R80 were basically the same trans.

CAFE standards, most likely.

I hate emissions bull ****.

Ny very sneakily passed california emission standards and now people are finding out when they go to get an inspection or try to repair their cars. Instead of a $100 Cat, now we have to buy $500+ cats to do the same damn thing only they are ca certified. That is a load ****. Thank you gov't for ruining everything for us...

Limited, If you love your truck go for it! just know that your getting in over your head lol. I have this unexplainable attachment to my ride, or i would have jumped ship on this thing a long time ago. I am only hanging onto her because i am planning to builder her up, and at that point it will basically be a 5.0 mustang in an explorer body. Ive spent more than seven thousand dollars in the last two years rebuilding the suspension and drive line, as well as two transmissions. BUT i wouldn't change it for the world.

If your going to take the leap get yourself another vehicle for daily driving, i ended up picking up an 07 4th gen XLS v6 with 38,000 miles for less than 15 grand. My 3rd gen spends most of its time under a vehicle cover now days lol.

Back