Wanted - Disc Brake and Muffler Heat Shields | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Wanted Disc Brake and Muffler Heat Shields

Parts or services wanted
There are three sections of heat shields on the 4 door. The front is about 30 inches long, the middle is about 26 inches long, and the back is about 50 inches long. The coating you see on the panels is mud, not rust.

L6NFsMmh.jpg

1Oy3ACKh.jpg

apFF1Agh.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Here are the dust shields. There is absolutely zero rust that I can see. They still have the original finish. The different coloration is from the water I used to get the sand off (these were on an offroad rig). I can include the bolts too if you need those (no damage).

There are three sections of heat shields on the 4 door. The front is about 30 inches long, the middle is about 26 inches long, and the back is about 50 inches long. The coating you see on the panels is mud, not rust.

Thanks for the pics.

Going by those, the middle heat shields look to be the same. I guess the rearmost heat shield is what's different between the 2 and 4 doors, or maybe the front one is as well. I'll have to re-measure the heat shield on mine and have you double-check with those measurements to be sure it's the same size, but if it is I'll take both the middle heat shield and the disc brake shields (plus the bolts).

You should take some pics of the rig you're parting out and start a thread. There's a few other small exterior parts I'm looking for that would be easy to pull and throw in the box as well.

I had made a thread a couple years ago when I got the donor vehicle but I didn't have as much time to respond to replies as I do now. I had initially bought it to take the 5.5" superlift from it, but over time I have been getting other bits and pieces here and there. It was a perfectly running and driving vehicle, but some kid had rolled it while offroading; only body damage resulted though.

So far it is only missing:
  • The front suspension brackets/coils/coil bolts/drop pitman arm (all extended length RS5000 shocks are there)
  • A4LD transmission and manual transfer case just went into my DD which was down for 6 months (still have extra electric transfer case and bad A4LD core)
  • Alternator
Everything else should be there. Just hit me up with a list of everything that you want and I can inventory what I have or don't have from your list.

I had made a thread a couple years ago when I got the donor vehicle but I didn't have as much time to respond to replies as I do now. I had initially bought it to take the 5.5" superlift from it, but over time I have been getting other bits and pieces here and there. It was a perfectly running and driving vehicle, but some kid had rolled it while offroading; only body damage resulted though.

So far it is only missing:
  • The front suspension brackets/coils/coil bolts/drop pitman arm (all extended length RS5000 shocks are there)
  • A4LD transmission and manual transfer case just went into my DD which was down for 6 months (still have extra electric transfer case and bad A4LD core)
  • Alternator
Everything else should be there. Just hit me up with a list of everything that you want and I can inventory what I have or don't have from your list.

Do you still have the vehicle/parts available?

Do you still have the vehicle/parts available?
Yeah. Funny you should ask. I also just picked up a white 92 4 door 4wd explorer in amazing condition. The only thing wrong with it is a bad head gasket.

Yeah. Funny you should ask. I also just picked up a white 92 4 door 4wd explorer in amazing condition. The only thing wrong with it is a bad head gasket.

Well I'm still wanting those disc brake shields and the middle exhaust heat shield.

Could also use the end caps/acorn nuts off the rear tailgate trim (or just cut the end of the trim 2-3 inches off with the end cap still in there to make it easy) One of mine broke the acorn nut and plastic stud when the liftgate strut mount tore off. Only need one for now, but will take all four if you're not saving the tailgate for anything cosmetic. Ends of the trim I'm referring to are indicated by the orange arrows in the image:

gatetrim.jpg

What shape are the rear body mounts in? I could use the hardware (top and bottom washers, and even the bolts if they survived), but it could be a bear to get those out, even with a sawzall and hacking up the body to get to them. Just something I'm after.

Sounds like you should just replace the head gaskets on the '92 and use it as a daily driver or second project.

Well I'm still wanting those disc brake shields and the middle exhaust heat shield.

I'll take a look for the other stuff when I get off work.

Sounds like you should just replace the head gaskets on the '92 and use it as a daily driver or second project.

If I didn't need the cash from the sale of it to rebuild the transmission in my main explorer, I would totally keep it. The lift/tire/stock 3.73 gearing combination on my main explorer means I generally get terrible gas mileage (lead foot).

The lift/tire/stock 3.73 gearing combination on my main explorer means I generally get terrible gas mileage (lead foot).

Put a rubber stopper under the gas pedal.. That'll cure ya :)

~Mark

Put a rubber stopper under the gas pedal.. That'll cure ya :)

~Mark

Haha, if only it were that easy. I like to have fun when I drive. I pay the price for it though. The upside with the stock gearing is that I can easily achieve ~22mpg if I go the speed limit and don't stomp the throttle off the line.

Could also use the end caps/acorn nuts off the rear tailgate trim

What shape are the rear body mounts in? I could use the hardware (top and bottom washers, and even the bolts if they survived),

The acorn nuts all appear to be in good shape. I don't think I need them. If the plastic stud broke, wouldn't you need the entire trim piece?

The body mounts seem to be in good condition but I will have to take a look tomorrow since there wasn't enough light when I got off work. I will have to check how difficult they will be to get off, but I am not against cutting/torching them out if we can come to an agreeable price (not sure at this point, make an offer for everything)

The acorn nuts all appear to be in good shape. I don't think I need them. If the plastic stud broke, wouldn't you need the entire trim piece?

The body mounts seem to be in good condition but I will have to take a look tomorrow since there wasn't enough light when I got off work. I will have to check how difficult they will be to get off, but I am not against cutting/torching them out if we can come to an agreeable price (not sure at this point, make an offer for everything)

I need the plastic end cap that's on the end of the trim piece. That end cap has the plastic stud that the acorn nut threads on to. The end cap is pushed into the trim and also has some sort of tension spring holding it in, so that's why I said it may be easier to just cut off the last 2-3 inches of the trim rather than bother trying to take out the end cap. I can use the acorn nuts too though, the ones I have rusted the powder coating off.

I could use the entire lower trim piece since mine has some dents and dings, but keeping it in one piece and shipping it would probably be more than it's worth.

Body mounts are just a druther, they aren't really worth much to me since I may just wind up fabbing up all new hardware instead of re-using stock mounts since I'm pretty sure the 8 mounts I have are rusted/seized together, since the rear ones were so badly rusted they fell apart. If the lower washer is rusted and falling apart, the mounts are likely seized and rusted solid, some Explorers that have only ever been in the Southwest seem to have them in great shape, though. If the bolts come out and the hardware is in good shape, they might still be worth it to use until I can replace all the body mounts together.

You'll have to let me know what you want for the shields and your time drilling the heat shield off, plus shipping. Not sure what to offer for the mounts since having to torch the body apart to get them off might not be worth it, or maybe I'll get the shields for now and then have you get the mounts later on when you're torching /cutting off other stuff.

If I didn't need the cash from the sale of it to rebuild the transmission in my main explorer, I would totally keep it. The lift/tire/stock 3.73 gearing combination on my main explorer means I generally get terrible gas mileage (lead foot).

33's and 3.73 gears may be contributing greatly to the transmission needing to be rebuilt. Might need to get something else to fix and sell to get some 4.56's front and rear to make it last longer after the rebuild.

Do you still need brake rotor shields?

I have completed my '95 brake swap, so they are yours if you want them.

Bump. Still looking for this stuff.

Still looking...

and looking...

Back