• Register Today It's free!

6 Disk in dash cd player problem

emmettjosh

Reaction score
City, State
Newnan ga
Year, Model & Trim Level
03 eddie bauer explorer
i have an 03 eddie bauer explorer with the 6 disk in dash cd player. it will not load or unload any disks. There are 3 disks in there now but cannot get them out. beating on the dash doesnt help and i dont want to replace the unit. Originally all 6 trays were loaded and i has able to get them out but now i cant get the remaining ones out. I try to eject them and all it says is (CD Error), well no ****. I have tryed everything i can think of but pulling the unit out and taking it apart to manually remover them. Any Ideas?

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

yeah My limited has 158000 miles, the 6 disk player finally took a crap, mine has the the same problem it did it once before, and I had to remove it and unplug it and let it sit, then it would work for a while, but it finally took a crap altogether so I`m installing a kenwood DDX814 and the KNA-G510, :D I heard this radios are fragile:rolleyes: so you are probaly going to have to take it out and apart to get them out

yea thats what i thought i had to do. Are there any special tools to take the radio apart? i can get the benzel off with no problem.

yeah you just have to get your fingers underneath the bezel trim and pull it , it will pop off but you have to disconnect to connectors, the message display switches, and the 4x4 switches then it can be moved to the side, other than special tools i don`t think you need any from what I remember just some very small sockets

mine did the same thing, its easy to pull the radio, and very easy to split it in two - Radio/CD Changer are two pieces. Cost me $90 to fix the CD. I actually took mine apart to fix it myself but it only lasted a week. Since the repair about a year ago its been fine.
i have a post in the audio section on it.
below are pics of the insides, notice the small spring. . .
In the bottom photo, you can see the top tray isn't flat anymore, its actually pulled off the plastic guide next the the two back lines, in the second pic.

Attachments

• PC190180.jpg
    PC190180.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 29,638
  • PC190181.jpg
    PC190181.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 29,473
  • PC190187.jpg
    PC190187.jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 29,082
  • PC190183.jpg
    PC190183.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 30,709

Thats cool mine just did the same thing. It was making a wierd noise like a spring was binding and then nothing.

Where can you get the replacement changer for the unit. Mine is dead too. I am stuck with just the radio. I hate to ditch the factory head unit because hooking up the factory sub would be a pain to a aftermarket head unit. I think there is an adapter for it though. My Mounty has the factory sub it sounds pretty good.

STU

when it originally jammed, i looked on the web and fleabay never found anything but complete radios, only option at the time was to send it off for repair. Turn around was same day too. . . but watch out if its not placed in ship mode and it needs a ship bracket which applies pressure to the top of the trays so they don't slide off.

mine took a crap on me awhile back. i guess whoever made those junk cd players knew that they would break. It has happend to alot of people I know. right now i got a sony explode in it. can't complain bought it for 15 bucks.

I have heard Pioneer made the changer.

STU

i have no clue as to who made it. but i know that they usually dont last. i talked to a guy i know at the ford dealer and he said that they get a lot of complaints about the changer not playing cds and getting error codes all the time.

Instead of tearin the cd player out i just undo the battery for a couple seconds, hook it back up and you should hear the cd player unjamming itself

I had a problem with my CD player jamming when I put MP3 cd's in that the radio could not read. I guess it gets confused if there not CDFS...

Pull the fuse for the radio and reinsert after a few seconds. Do NOT turn the radio on. After the radio does it's "start up", press the eject button and remove all the disks.

oh, i did unplug the radio several times . . . .it would go through the startup make a grinding noise and then display CD error. It never unjammed itself . . .i tore it apart as a last resort. It was the metal plate on top that was really out of place. . .

So much for undoing the battery, i got the dreaded cd error message again so after several tries at undoing the batt and unplugging the radio i took it out and heard a ratling noise so i tear it appart (its in pieces infront if me as i type) and theres a white plastic screw thing that i cant find a place for

Another one bites the dust! These things suck. I want to put a diff. head unit in but don't want to loose my steering wheel controls and the factory sub. I think there is a way to make both work. Anyone knkow how?

STU

theres a white plastic screw thing that i cant find a place for

mine did the same thing, if i remember correctly it pushes up from the bottom, look for a round hole with a motor shaft on the bottom and a gear next to it. . .it moves the trays up/down. I pushed it back up worked for a bit, I guess it like a safety feature if there is too much stress on the trays it 'walks' off.

in the first pic you cant see it but it should be in the upper right corner.

Thank you Ill have to try it out

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Jim, where did you take your cd changer to get it repaired...Ford dealership?? Great post, will be pulling mine very soon.

Back