2000 AWD Xploder from Turbo back to NA | Page 35 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2000 AWD Xploder from Turbo back to NA

After getting an estimate on how much it would run me to fix up my Xploder with all new exhaust, cold side piping, and a bunch of other stuff done up the "right" way... I've decided to convert my Xploder back to NA form so that I can actually ENJOY the truck before I die of old age.

Anyways... To start it off I ordered up a MAC cold air intake (I do not have the stock intake) and sold my FMS headers on ebay.

I plan on buying a set of torque monster headers in the next week or so but am still up in the air on how I should run my exhaust from a performance "speed" perspective. I do not plan on doing much, if any, off road driving, so am looking for a setup that improves take off and speed for spirited pavement driving that sounds good.

I already have the spare tire removed (and will be keeping it off, I have free towing anyways lol)... What would an optimal setup be with the above in mind and no worry of a spare tire being in the way? True duals (straight pipe off of each header, thru separate mufflers, and out the sides), or a dual exhaust both going into a 2 in 2 out "H" pipe style muffler and then out the sides? Or something else? In all cases I won't be running any cats.

I also plan to re-tune my car since currently it is tuned for the turbo setup which obviously will no longer apply once I rip everything out.

Thank you for any input! :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Gotcha, the right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing. I hope they help you with the bolts.

Yeah. Or... If someone has all of the bolt measurements needed I'd just go elsewhere and order them individually. Sadly I do not have even stock bolts to measure (and add 1" to each I'm assuming would work?) lol. Perhaps I'll look around some more to find the stock ones (mostly just looked for the spacer kit ones) and then try that route. What type of bolts are they anyways and what thread size?

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Ok... Found out there is a hardware kit for the 1" spacer... $40. Ugh.

Comes with gaskets (which I don't need) and 6 bolts. Not looking to spend $40 on a cpl bolts and thankfully think I found my original bolts in a box in my garage. I'll measure them all out (SAE 5/16" bolts w/standard course thread pitch) and just go to hardware store and see if I can pick up some bolts and just add 1" to all of the bolt lengths measured. I'd assume would work? Lol.

That would work. The short bolts are no trouble to replace, just get grad 5's.

The long bolts do break often, especially with age and sticking in place a bit. Buy the strongest for those that you can.

BTW, why add the spacer anyway? I'd only use one if taller valve covers were needed, and they need more space. The intake spacer doesn't help overall power, it only bumps the bottom end an insignificant amount.

I'd save money and upgrade the rest, airflow through everything else, plus an engine rebuild with more compression(requires PCM tuning). I've got a 302 build planned to swap into my 99 V6 truck, for when I get tired of the V6 issues. I'll make it a close to 10:1 engine with ported GT40's(internal EGR), with the AWD trans, and maybe build a cheap log exhaust manifold for it. That's what everyone who has worked on their 302 should have done, it'll make 250hp I bet. Regards,

Sorry for the hijack, I'm really looking forward to seeing the log manifold build. I,d agree, if this could be done sub $500.00 and with larger primary feeds they would be awesome. For me, they would be a perfect solution. As you get to that point, and things going well I might be interested in a set. Its just so tight for space I'm skeptical.

Hurry up and get your truck running, geez. I really want to see how that electric waterpump works out.

That would work. The short bolts are no trouble to replace, just get grad 5's.

The long bolts do break often, especially with age and sticking in place a bit. Buy the strongest for those that you can.

BTW, why add the spacer anyway? I'd only use one if taller valve covers were needed, and they need more space. The intake spacer doesn't help overall power, it only bumps the bottom end an insignificant amount.

I'd save money and upgrade the rest, airflow through everything else, plus an engine rebuild with more compression(requires PCM tuning). I've got a 302 build planned to swap into my 99 V6 truck, for when I get tired of the V6 issues. I'll make it a close to 10:1 engine with ported GT40's(internal EGR), with the AWD trans, and maybe build a cheap log exhaust manifold for it. That's what everyone who has worked on their 302 should have done, it'll make 250hp I bet. Regards,

I already have the spacer so figure I may as well install it (bought it a cpl years ago lol). I picked up some bolts from Fastenal online and waiting on them to ship on out. Hopefully they work fine. Just got all of them grade 8. Pretty cheap though shipping was about as much as the bolts lol. Checked cpl local hardware stores and unfortunately they didn't have the sizes I needed (the 7 1/2" ones).

A full engine rebuild is my LONG term goal.. My skill level is not on par for that (and I'd need additional tools/equipment) and thus I'd have to pay for the work to be done which I'd need to set aside my pennies for so as to get buy off from the wife on a somewhat large endeavor such as that! Lol.

I already have pretty good airflow in/out done... And most upgrades possible outside of forced air/nitrous/engine tear down done already. New cams and full rebuild is a goal for sure though!! For now.. Just getting the truck back on the road is my current goal haha.

Sorry for the hijack, I'm really looking forward to seeing the log manifold build. I,d agree, if this could be done sub $500.00 and with larger primary feeds they would be awesome. For me, they would be a perfect solution. As you get to that point, and things going well I might be interested in a set. Its just so tight for space I'm skeptical.

Hurry up and get your truck running, geez. I really want to see how that electric waterpump works out.

Haha yeah I AM taking my sweet sweet time on it lol... I chalk it up to me living out of state for a period of time, kids, finishing school (done for good thankfully), and pure LAZINESS lol... Ooo and I also blame my PS4, guns, knives, and other random hobbies! I jump from one project to another and back around 100x times...! But I am committed to getting my truck back up and running before winter hits so I can get my SVTf off the road and get working on that.

Waterpump is on the truck... E-fan is built and ready to go... Pretty much I just need to wire everything up... Get the upper IM back in place... Put my center console back together and wired up.. Kill the wasp nest in my rear passenger door (if any still live!)... air up the tires... Tighten down the camber bolts... Fill up the AC, radiator, oil, drive it to a local alignment shop and get the alignment done... fix my exhaust (switch from 2.5" dual out pipes after muffler to 3" dual out pipes and move A/F sensor from rear to up near the front).. and have tune re-tweaked :-D

Keep at it. If you don't like your list, I'll trade with you, ha.

For your rebuild later, work on the budget first. If that might include $2500 for just the shortblock, get it(332-347) from Woody complete with no core charges, plus shipping.

Thank you! I'll see where I'm at next year or so before mapping out anything complex and am sure I will be flooding the page for info/advice haha.

Anyways... Got my bolts in yesterday.. Hope to bolt the IM on this weekend. Has been storming almost every day over the past week so hadn't done anything but I believe it "should" be nice this weekend :D

Ditto, Monday was nice but I was off with a friend helping him. The rain sucks when it's almost all day every day.

Get at it over the weekend then, it's supposed to be clear.

Ok.. Didn't do anything this weekend but did get a little work done today after work! Got my upper intake manifold back on finally. Lol.

ForumRunner_20141020_192047.png

ForumRunner_20141020_192104.png

Good job, nice and dark but done.

Good job, nice and dark but done.

Yeah.. Finished tightening the bolts up as it got dark. Need to reattach hoses and wires next then belt and figure out the fan and wp wiring setups.

Got a little more work done on the truck. Been so long I've forgotten where some of the hoses go lol. Any idea which hose goes to which connector as indicated in the picture? Lol. Also.. What does the upwards pointing connector off the intake manifold connects too? Lol.

ForumRunner_20141028_005531.png

ForumRunner_20141028_005556.png

Anyone? :D My shop manual does not seem to specify which hose marked goes where? Lol.

Also.. Tried to fit the belt on... Too small.. The E-WP pulley thingie was bigger than old WP pulley... Just barely.. Ordered another belt but 3/4" longer.. Should fit nice and snug.

One more question.. What is the name of the hose that plugs into the top connector fixture marked with the ? on the picture that points upwards? My hose is cracked so need to order a new one. It runs down and connects to some gadget looking thing in the driver side fender area.

Thanks! :D

The front hose you mention is for the charcoal canister I believe, and up front under the battery is the solenoid for control of that hose vacuum. For the others I'll have to look under my hood and see where they go. Until tomorrow, night.

The front hose you mention is for the charcoal canister I believe, and up front under the battery is the solenoid for control of that hose vacuum. For the others I'll have to look under my hood and see where they go. Until tomorrow, night.

Awesome, thank you! Shop manual details are kind of sketchy sadly. I took pictures of everything but of course my damn phone died and I ended up having to get a replacement and with it's death so died my pictures :-/ Lol.

So.. Poking around.. the Hose that connects to the upwards facing upper IM fitting is the fuel vapor return line (which connects to the charcoal canister, as mentioned above) with a part number of 9G271 which is part of a bigger package part number XL3Z-9G271-BA. Of course... Both part numbers are discontinued :-/ My part is pretty much crumbling apart with big gashes in it.. Doubt it would be repairable lol.

Would a rubber house clamped in place be sufficient repair lol?? I believe it's... 3/8" perhaps? Not home to verify.

You should be able to replace that with a vacuum hose, the OEM part is shaped well for the engine for sure. I hope to go to a local yard that had a V8 98 Mountaineer before. The top end is already gone, and I'm after the hood, AC/PS bracket, and the bumper/hitch if it's still all there. I'll see if that emissions hose is still in place and unhurt.

What is that whole part number assembly for?

You should be able to replace that with a vacuum hose, the OEM part is shaped well for the engine for sure. I hope to go to a local yard that had a V8 98 Mountaineer before. The top end is already gone, and I'm after the hood, AC/PS bracket, and the bumper/hitch if it's still all there. I'll see if that emissions hose is still in place and unhurt.

What is that whole part number assembly for?

Yeah.. I just wanted to make sure a standard hose would work (rated for fuel) as the OEM one has some funky plastic connector type deal on the end... Didn't know if that was special or anything.

And yeah if you find that piece in good shape let me know and I'll buy it from you or whatever if I don't go the plain hose method or find the part before-hand.

Unsure what the entire assembly consists off... I believe some extra hoses or parts or whatever.

Thanks!

Those other two hoses are just for water, they go to the two ports in the metal coolant lines, in either order. It's just for heating the intake, etc, you could just loop a short hose to the pairs of ports.

Back